Author Topic: Tyre life  (Read 2615 times)

Offline D project

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Tyre life
« on: October 23, 2015, 12:44:23 pm »
I've got a few MX tyres that are a couple of years old but the tread still ok.
What's the rubber life span,do they loose there grip/performance and how do you tell?

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: Tyre life
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 01:10:04 pm »
Yes, they go hard with age. How long it takes, depends on how they're stored: outside in the sun is the worst. Inside a nice cool, dark shed is the best.

I mainly notice old tyres on hard-pack, where they don't bend and conform to the ground like they should, but even in good conditions there is a (barely) noticeable difference compared to a fresh version of the same tyre. They generally feel a bit more wooden, and give up a bit earlier and more suddenly.

When they're really past their best and are a lighter grey colour, they tend to feel a bit chalky to touch, and they wear out really quickly (like chalk, I guess). But if you can't pick a tyre like this as being well past it's prime just be looking at it...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 05:14:37 pm »
How times have changed eh? Back in 1978, a grizzled old enduro rider (OK, he was 26, but that was old to me) gave me a pro tip. Leave the tyre out in the sun for a while to harden up, then they'll last better....

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 07:49:24 pm »
real rubber does, that's what tyres used to be made of....

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 08:33:46 pm »
I was afraid to jump on and say that.  I used to have a Trelleborg 10 masters 5.50 x 18 always spare - hardening up for when needed  ;D
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 09:54:28 pm »
Many many eons ago I had a set of trelleborgs I used for hard rocky ground. had them for years and bought them used. mongrel of a things to fit being so hard but they worked well for fast slides.  rest of the time it was nice soft yokahama

Offline skypig

• Legend
    • View Profile
I love tires, and have the wheel/tire rack to prove it
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 09:56:57 pm »
I just put the original Bridgstone knobbys back on my 2006 EXC. They were removed while virtually brand new. Now about 10 years old, they seemed fine. I've done a few good rides and they feel ok, and surprisingly no knobs have ripped off.

At the other end of the spectrum: I loved my brand new Metzler MC5s at Conondale 2 weeks ago. A starting gate and a natural terrain MX track including wet grass calls for sharp, knobs. (Soft rubber for the hard pack sections).

As Wasp so sagely points out: grip, longevity - pick one.

MC5s seem to be the bargain of the century at MCAS.

Offline Brian Watson

• Legend
  • First Penton in OZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 12:10:59 am »
I have had some Trelleborgs...they got so old and hard the side knobs broke off....as for " new "...well anything with a sharp edge is fine.. I have used Rinaldi on the rear..great value ..and are an OK pattern..but..as far as the front goes..you cannot go past a Dunlop MX32..

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 08:32:01 am »
years ago I was out of work and on a tight budget and I bought a Hwa Fong tyre for the back of my husky. It held air so that was a bonus. it actually performed brilliantly in wet greasy red clay getting tractor like grip when everyone else was pushing. have never seen them since.