Author Topic: RT2 Ignition--need a cuppa & a lie down.  (Read 8274 times)

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: RT2 Ignition--need a cuppa & a lie down.
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2015, 08:58:48 PM »
Pre 70 tank colours, looks like RT1 pre 70 crankcase (gear lever shaft)! Bring it back to piston port and bring it out to the Nepean Charity Classic! Looks like a good roll up for pre 70 this year!!, Cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2015, 09:14:06 PM »
Its got a reed vlv Pancho so pre 75
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2015, 10:27:40 PM »
Pre 70 tank colours, looks like RT1 pre 70 crankcase (gear lever shaft)! Bring it back to piston port and bring it out to the Nepean Charity Classic! Looks like a good roll up for pre 70 this year!!, Cheers pancho.

Bit far from nz sorry but sounds fun & will look for the pics from the event. Could easily swap to a piston port cylinder as the rod & gudgeon height are the same RT1 to RT2 etc, unlike the 250 going DT1 to DT2 where need a rod change or space the cylinder up [think-not down, anyway]. This'll make you cry though--pic of my RT1 coming up lol,--out of class though with suspension mods [cock up], think that one i welded short travel gas girlings [all i had] into PE shock bodies to get the length & use PE springs [something like that]. This frame come to think, had a 3TA or Tiger90 in it back in the 70's or 80's but i only got the frame [then modd]ed the rear end sub frame etc but the motor must've almost dropped straight in as i only had to 'pat' the front down tubes back into a straight line & that was it. Tank on it is off an AT1. Also the black tank on the RT2 is off my DT1 [long story] is gold under the black & was first rego'd in december "68 although very little left of that bike as such [tossed the frame 30 years ago bugger it--kept breaking it]. Anyway-pic coming i hope. Cheers.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 08:27:00 AM »
I've probably got this all wrong and you have fixed the ignition already but did you know that there is another cdi box like the one you are using that has no advance. built in.
Would that work ?
Just thinking.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 09:02:40 AM »
I've probably got this all wrong and you have fixed the ignition already but did you know that there is another cdi box like the one you are using that has no advance. built in.
Would that work ?
Just thinking.
Hi, no i shelved the ignition & took the easy option & fitted an old points mag [nothing wrong with good old points lol], realy they need the flywheel inertia anyway--but--haven't totaly given up!! & be interested in being pointed in the right direction regarding a non advancing box. Needs to be a DC powered cdi not tci as such. Did buy what i though was right but can't find where i put it now after going with the std mag. If you're talking stator powered cdi [not dc] i've got one of those but the yz stator i was using is stuffed in the source/charge coil [in my pics] & i was only using the trigger coil to fire the dc box. Damn thing would've been perfect if i could de-activate the advance. Anyway-sorry, long story about 'not much' but be interested to hear your suggestions. Did think if my points mag fails & i could find an aftermarket cdi coil to fit in place of the points stator coil i could hook it to say an RG50/LT50/JR50 cdi box secondary coil combined, find the firing point & time the crank to that --& carry on. Did that to a Dt125 watercooled trail bike once & worked perfect [trigger was destroyed but must trigger the RG set up when the magnets pass a certain point on the source coil. even have an RX125 points flywheel on my IT200 cdi mag, just timed it to the firing point & been going for a few years with no flywheel key [bought it minus flywheel & couldn't find one [at my price lol]. Anyway-what was the question again!! Cheers.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 09:16:31 AM »
Using this one in my Huskys but they have no advance built into the stator.

This setup comes of a Chinese pit bike with a mechanical advance [ copy of an early postie/ct/cb ]
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 08:53:05 PM »
Hi thanks for that Mike52, i've put the idea on the back burner at the mo but will get back to it oneday. Plenty of chinese boxes for sale & cheap too so not a great loss if i stuff up experimenting but haven't blown one yet--yet!!.