Author Topic: TM250 Forks  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Jumbo J

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
TM250 Forks
« on: April 21, 2015, 12:11:37 PM »
Can anyone suggest what this clonking sound is. I had the forks rebuilt with emulators and matching springs for my weight. A slight bend (that i was not previously aware of) was also removed and the tubes re chromed at the same time to ensure optimum performance.

On the bikes first outing a month ago a loud audible clonk could be heard on jumps as well as the forks locking up and becoming solid, (but still returning to their fully extended normal position after each jump). Major jarring was felt through the bars / wrists !! :(
I could not tell then if they were actually bottoming out or not.

I sent them back to the shop that did the work who could not fault them on their test equipment, suggesting that the wheel may have been fitted incorrectly and from their perspective there is nothing wrong with the forks and "the matter is closed" !

I fitted the wheel correctly- loosed triples, axle bolt, wheel clamps etc, bounced forks, spun wheel applied brake etc tightened in sequence to centre the wheel and not misalign the sliders.

Any constructive idea's would be most welcome?

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: TM250 Forks
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 01:30:33 PM »
ummm there is something seriously wrong in there.  that's an internal mechanical noise, nothing to do with the front axle, who ever suggested that might be blame shifting.

IT sounds like its either catching on a clip or binding on something.  What happens when you take the spring out and remove the emulators, drop the springs back in and move through the travel ? id be wanting to eliminate the emulators, then move on to the damper cones and see if the clips are in and correctly assembled.  Something that moves has got issue, or something that shouldn't move is. 

But look on the positive side at least i can confirm its just inside the forks !   

Maybe Send the link to pete hoey he might be able to pinpoint it he build mine a few years back.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline sleepy

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 04:36:40 PM »
Was the clonk on landing or taking of.
Other pre75 bikes I'v seen with EM's came form the suspension gods with the valve spring set about 4 turns in which seemed to make the forks almost ridgid , that made them forks feel solid after about 50mm of travel. The travel at the top only moved because the EM didn't see any oil till it moved down that 50mm. They made loud topping noise when taking of from a jump as well.
The spring was backed of a heap and more oil added which helped but in the end the EM's went in the bin and modified stock damper rods went back in but that's not construtive to you.

oldfart

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 06:46:52 PM »
Man , there is something wrong happening inside there big time. If it was me I would take the Em's out and put the Std spring back in and see what happens.