Author Topic: 6v led soultions  (Read 2180 times)

Offline twinrock

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
6v led soultions
« on: December 31, 2014, 02:50:18 PM »
In this modern world of stereo sound and velcro wallets ..I was sure something could be done to help the old 6v sytem bikes.. this is what I did on my dt400 I bought some new indicator then replaced the regular globe with a single large led suitabe for 6v this had a resistor in series to get right voltage then another large resistor in   parralel to draw more current to trip the flasher box.. how ever I think I will just build a lil flash timer and remover the large resistor indicator now very bright and the led is replacable at a cost of just $2 down the line. The rear tail and brake light, I bought a 12v led tail light..then again from jaycar u can get a step up voltage modual..it was $30 in short this allows u to run a 12v led tail light..or any tail light on a 6v system again very bright..the batt I used a small 6v 4 amp hour gell batt from jaycar I have used these on all my bikes 12v or 6v they are very small and give great power and recharge,  prob no use for starter motors.. I could of also just used the step up modual and just bought off the self led indicators how ever I did the indicators first befor I new of the step up modual..
Now for the head light..ill see what I can come up with. But note, some 12v led spot lights u buy for cars will work on a 6v system and very bright I have one and it lights up the whole yard..would be awesome for those commin home late In the bush
I know changing the  system over to 12v can be done this is just an alternative way of getting the same result

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: 6v led soultions
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 04:08:13 PM »
http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/GoffyLEDIndicators.htm

You can also get variable load flasher relays specifically to drive LED indicator globes

Go see your local bike shop who sells MCS stuff.

Have you ever thought of just swaping the 6v regulator for a 12v? That is a cheap/simple way to get 12v most of the time on old trail bikes with magneto ignitions. Ive done it several times on TS Suzukis and XL Hondas.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 04:11:06 PM by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline twinrock

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 10:30:25 AM »
I was not aware of 6v led flasher boxes, as for the swapping it to 12v via regulator I did do some lookin into it and could not get a real straight answer..I thought the stator had to be replaced also..so if its just a regulator I guess I just waisted my time..oops..  lol..Sort of..a regulater would have cost about the same price as the voltage step up modual..and similar to me to swap and.
 Maybe have to try a few befor u find one compatible..The step up modual was bench tested at jaycar so I knew it would work with no head scratchin

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 08:08:38 PM »
why n0t use a 12v electr0nic flasher can as they have a timer and relay unit f0r c0ntr0lled flashes reuaurdless 0f the size 0f the gl0bes

Offline twinrock

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 05:24:27 PM »
http://www.norbsa02.freeuk.com/GoffyLEDIndicators.htm

You can also get variable load flasher relays specifically to drive LED indicator globes

Go see your local bike shop who sells MCS stuff.

Have you ever thought of just swaping the 6v regulator for a 12v? That is a cheap/simple way to get 12v most of the time on old trail bikes with magneto ignitions. Ive done it several times on TS Suzukis and XL Hondas.
I was right to a certain degree the stator needs to be putting out at least 12v AC to start with which is why u would need in most cases to change the stators as well..my bike was only putting out 7v AC un regulated..put a 12v reg on and simply nothing would work..im not sure what ur individual set up was but it will not work in the case of a dt400