Author Topic: Old bikes eh? Or... the saga of an RM250T  (Read 4072 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Old bikes eh? Or... the saga of an RM250T
« on: July 29, 2014, 10:23:57 PM »
This is the story of how getting an old dirtbike on the track can be quite a saga.

A few years ago, I bought a 1980 RM250 for a grand. It was complete but wearing crappy old plastics, the shocks were original, tyres worn out, chain and sprockets rubbish and so on. On the positive side it bore little sign of any major butchery and it went. the seller had a nice collection of superbly restored RMs and PEs and he assured me he'd gone through the engine and it was good.

I replaced all the obvious bits and took it off to Classic Dirt 9 at Wyaralang, but while I had fun on it, it went like crap. It wouldn't take any throttle in neutral and while it seemed to rev OK on the track, it was a very flat linear power. The clutch was very grabby as well.

So, I had the cylinder cleaned up, threw in a new piston, some Boyesen reeds and went right through the carby, plus a nice new Pro Form pipe. I play rode it a few times but it ran no better no better and the clutrch was rubbish. I got to and replaced the entire clutch, every last bit of it. That fixed that problem, but it still ran strange. Still it was a lot better with the clutch functional. I figured it'd be OK for CD10 but then that was canned, so back into the shed it went. A few months later I took it to Canowindra for the HEAVEN weekend in October 2013 where it went OK-ish but the stuffed rear shocks and weird power didn't help my cause, and I didn't gell with it.

I couldn't figure it out at all, everything seemed OK so why the strange power?  I rode it at an end of year dirt track in Canberra, and it was a nice handler but I couldn't get it off the line as it seemed to bog on full throttle, yet it went OK on the track. It also got hot and there was some deto, something I'd not noticed earlier on MX tracks.

Over Christmas I pulled it apart and did some measurements. The cylinder was heavily ported with the inlet much much bigger than stock. But the really nasty bit was that the top deck had been shaved about 1.5mm. The piston actually sat proud of the deck. I got a special head gasket made up to restore the squish to something usable, installed some nice new YSS shocks  and took it off to the Canberra club's Kings and Queens dirt track race in Feb this year.

Naturally things couldn't go smoothly and before racing started the tank split and fuel went everywhere. A bit of tape and so on and it kept enough fuel in it to ride it, but it still went slow. I also was way out on the gearing.

OK, back to the drawing board. Obviously I had to come up with a standard barrel. I managed to track down a cylinder and head and bought a new piston and got it bored to suit. Sat the cylinder on the bench in the shed, then on the weekend started to install it.. when... What the? A crack in the bottom edge of the sleeve? Why oh why? There was a small hemisphere of pitted and discoloured metal right there and I can only assume it had weakened over the years and the stresses of boring it led to it splitting. It was also pretty cold in that shed...

Damn.

Luckily though, I scored another barrel locally. It was only on the first oversize and I had a second oversize piston in the spares cupboard, so a quick rebore and it was good to go. That all went on just fine, as did a nice new MX71 Dunlop front.  And now to install the new throttle cable. This was going so smoothly!

But of course, it was too good to be true wasn't it. The throttle housing was not original. Sigh. On to the forum and I tracked down an original assembly plus cable and it was in my sweaty hands a few days later.

So here we are, last Sunday, out at the local dirt track for running in. EVERYTHING is now right. At last.  After a good few laps I started to open it up when it went off song. My heart sank... what now???  Back in the pits and the problem was obvious - the top of the carby had vibrated off. Fearing it had run lean or sucked in some dirt, I took it home right away. After pulling the top end off, it was apparent that all was fine. I cleaned everything up, checked for dirt in the carb and inlet etc, and proceeded to bolt it back together. Which went fine, except for the bit where a head stud finally called it quits and just sat there spinning...

Fork me!

OK, Fred at Tuggeranong Motorcycle centre rolled up his sleeves and helicoiled it, checked the rest of them, and now all i gotta do is nail it all together and we are go for Sunday's club day.

The big question is, what are the chances it will all go smoothly???

« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 10:27:09 PM by Graeme M »

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: Old bikes eh? Or... the saga of an RM250T
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 10:36:02 PM »
So Graeme,,, all above sounds basically normal there ;)

OK hope you get a blast from the old T next time out :)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Simo63

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 10:37:05 PM »
Far out Graeme .. you're a patient man I'll give you that .. but a slow working one also.

Personally I would have either fixed that friggin bike or burnt it by now :)

I hope it all goes well for you but if I was a betting man .. I'd say the odds are stacked against you there old mate :)

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 12:26:52 AM »
Good story Graeme, you're on the right track and will get it sorted eventually. What I can't believe is how bloody lucky you were that the slide didn't come right out the top of the carbie - you would have been in a whole world of trouble there. Keep plugging away mate, but make sure that carbie top is tight ;D
Pete.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 06:27:00 AM »
Yeah, that was very lucky indeed. I suspect it came loose but didn't actually pop off till I got to the pits. A sign my luck has turned?

By the way, many thanks to the forum members who helped out with time and parts for this project.  Much appreciated.

It actually looks a million bucks AND works pretty good on the dirt track. The stock cylinder works a treat and it now runs properly. Hallelujah!!!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 06:29:10 AM by Graeme M »

Offline sa63

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 07:04:55 AM »
there is no bigger turn off in a for sale ad "ported barrel -really fast" stock is best!
good  luck with it! good story! now back to my locked up xl 250 motor...

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 07:13:43 AM »
Yes, always good to start with a nice stock bike overall isn't it. In no way am I unhappy with the bike nor the original seller. It was in good nick overall and his price quite fair. Had I gone through it thoroughly in the beginning I might have avoided some of the pain. This story is just highlighting the fun and games of racing an old dirtbike.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 08:40:46 AM »
see its like this Graeme, you made a simple but basic old bike error...you brought a bike that was designed to be junk 5 years after it was new..you should have bought a bike that looked 40 y/o when new ...a husky ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 09:01:20 AM »
Haha, shoulda known! Managed one race before the electrics stopped electricking...  If you want an RM250, I'll pay you to take it!!   ;D

Simo63

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 09:36:45 AM »
Far out ... that sucks mate :(

Offline ELC hunter

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 04:27:36 PM »
I purchased a PE250T years ago one owner low klms got  it  registered rode it a couple of times but every time I rode it some thing different would go wrong the electrics  were the major issue one ride fine the next it would just run with no power,then good then bad. replaced stator / puluse coils they were the problem,but at that stage not very experianced with spark I didn,t put enough heat through them when soldering them on.Still had problems so traded in on new GPZ ,best thing I ever did. Shop resoldered coils never missed a beat then.Don,t give up on it.Grahame

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2014, 09:40:12 PM »
Well, that RM250T has been sitting in the back of the shed since August. Sooo tempted to sell it, but then - it'd be gone. I have finally gotten enthusiastic enough to have another go, so over the Chrissy hols I'll yank the engine out and take it down to Tuggeranong Motorcycle Centre and get Fred to strip it down and see what's what. I have come so far I really want to actually race this thing one day and have it last the whole day!!!

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2014, 11:14:40 PM »
Thats a funny story and so true for all these old bikes.  My philosophy is rebuild from the ground up first and dont ruin a good day out by mechanical failures...especially at our age.  Ive got a 79 rm and a 83 yz on the go at the moment and i am amazed at what i find as i tear them down.  Frame cracks, missing parts, bents and loose bits etc...  anyway, have fun with your T.  I am webmaster for the WA Coastals club and on our history page ive put up some videos of the state titles from 1980.  Have a look here.. http://www.coastalmcc.com/history.html You can see Roscoe Taylor on his RM250T giving Graeme Smythe a hard time..
Cheers,
Alex