Author Topic: CR480 Tank Resto  (Read 3523 times)

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
CR480 Tank Resto
« on: August 03, 2014, 03:07:25 PM »
I am restoring the tank on 1983 CR480 number 2.  You can see in the photo that the upper part of the right tank is darker than the area where the seat attaches.  I was going to start rough sanding it to remove the discoloration, but I remember reading about someone being able to bring back the original color on some plastic parts by using a heat gun.  Has anyone here tried this method?  It is a gas tank and I would not want to try this if there was not a chance of a positive outcome.

The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline Fenno

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: CR480 Tank Resto
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 07:53:41 AM »
yep heat gun works even after you done all your sanding.

the gun will bring back some gloss but nothing like the Maier shine.

I done it on side panels etc

let the tank air out and or fill with water it's the vapours that are flammable but it'll only flash over once ha ha
just don't get it too hot , you only need to warm it and you'll see the colour change.

CR480rd
CR250rd
plus years of collecting 83 Cr junk

Offline kdx Geoff

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 10:36:39 AM »

I got a good result cleaning up my kdx tank, no heat involved.

l started with an unloved tank. All the crud has helped protect this tank from UV damage.

I scrubbed the tank with fine steel wool and hot soapy water to remove the crud.

l scraped the tank with a half a pair of scissors. l find them easier to hold and use than a blade.

The tank on the left is the crud tank scraped showing the UV undamaged surface. The tank on the right has severe UV damage that l wasn't going to be able to fix. As a point of interest the UV damaged tank came from the US and the crud tank came from the UK. l wonder if the location had some impact on the amount of UV these tanks were exposed to...
Plenty of kx kdx 420 450 tanks that l had seen on the net suffered from this sort of damage. l was told that the tank on the right could be made to look new again (2 quotes, around $850 and $600) but l couldn't find any before/after picks of a Kawasaki tank that had come back from this damage.

I wet sanded with an orbital sander 360 than 800. l found that the sander didn't level all the scrape marks so l had to use a rubber rubbing block to get the tank surface flat again. Wet 360 than 800 again. It didn't take long to sand the high points off

The buffing.
Wool buff pad and lots of the polishing compound. l was conscious of burning/ melting the plastic so l kept the pressure light.
Different pad for the polish, lots of polish and low pressure

Another clean pad for the final polish. I tried a foam pad but it didn't work as well as the wool pad.

Total time investment for this tank was around 13 hours. Now that l have my technique sorted l don't think the next one would take that long.

There is some fuel staining low on the tank but it is a 33 year old tank.

l have also stuck an offcut of vinyl on the tank which has been there for a couple of months without bubbling. l don't know how long its been since this tank has fuel in it but the fuel vapours passing through the plastic must cease over time.

Cheers

Geoff
Buying kdx air cooled drum brake unitrak bikes and parts

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 02:45:24 PM »
Thanks Geoff and great work!!
The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

Offline Ktm181

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 08:46:46 PM »

WOW, Geoff!  Mate you certainly do excellent work, nice pics and a very good description of how to do it, keep it up.

Kt.

Offline kdx Geoff

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 10:22:23 AM »
Thanks Geoff and great work!!

WOW, Geoff!  Mate you certainly do excellent work, nice pics and a very good description of how to do it, keep it up.

Kt.

Thanks blokes  :)
Buying kdx air cooled drum brake unitrak bikes and parts