Author Topic: Ray Owen's Bike Show, Canungra, Qld.  (Read 1836 times)

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
Ray Owen's Bike Show, Canungra, Qld.
« on: May 25, 2014, 04:43:41 PM »
Spent the morning out at Canungra, just behind Mt Tamborine and the Gold Coast for one of the Queensland's Historical Motorcycle Clubs events. The setting was great, a  nice egg and bacon burger to eat while viewing the smallish swap meet, but still some good things to look at. Over in the big shed were the show bikes. The Harley board racer from the pre 1918 days was flash aswell as an array of British road bikes. Behind them were the early Japanese bikes with Honda 4s, kwaka triples etc. Was great to see the contrast from the black and chrome to candy apple reds, electric blues and sparkle golds. Over in the competition corner was a nice husky, Bert Floods Bultaco 360 speed record attempt bike , and a good collection of my favourites a hagon jap, Ray's Briggo 4 valve conversion from South Africa, a 2valve jawa and Rays rotax jap he built that has never fired a shot.
Had a great chat to Ray and he got a smile up when I said I was one of the many converted into motorbikes from the fun days of racing at Wallan. Ray tells me he still has his daughter SL70s at home. He's keen to keep the show as a display of bikes and their owners ingenuity and not a concourse type event.
If you are about the Goldie next year put it on your calendar.
Great to see a true champion of our sport still involved.
While we have a few very good museums in Oz I hope someday MA ( most likely though someone else) will develop, promote and display the histories of many of our Oz superstars.
Rosco86

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
Re: Ray Owen's Bike Show, Canungra, Qld.
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 06:31:30 PM »
Wish I would've known about that, would like to have caught up with Ray and seen his bikes.
He's a good guy with so many stories from the past. .

albrid-3

Re: Ray Owen's Bike Show, Canungra, Qld.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 06:46:11 PM »
Any photos