Author Topic: Newbie, Brisbane, VMX wanna be  (Read 4495 times)

Offline Charlie B

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Newbie, Brisbane, VMX wanna be
« on: December 04, 2013, 07:53:43 AM »
Hi guys and girls

I'm Charlie, looking to get into the VMX scene on a bike not too dissimilar to one that I grew up on.

In the mid 80's I had a KX125 '82 model - you know the one with the odd number plate on the rear guard - the ones people either love or hate.....

Having just recently discovered the world of VMX, I have the opportunity to relive my youth (that's the plan anyway.......)

Thanks to all the good people of the VMX community for all the great info and help getting started.

Great Forum, looking forward to being part of it.

Cheers
Charlie
Retiring ... all bikes and parts must go.....  1984 KX250's (2 off) and Resto Project 1983 KX125's (3 off)

PM for details

TM BILL

Re: Newbie, Brisbane, VMX wanna be
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 07:59:54 AM »
Welcome Charlie  :) im in the love that look mob , very cool bikes the KXs of that era .

Offline Richo52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 07:35:39 PM »
Welcome Charlie to the mad fun world of VMX.......great model Kwaka!
SOME BIKES AND CARS

Offline Charlie B

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2013, 09:56:43 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I am looking forward to joining the VMX scene in 2014, on the the 84, KX ..... Can't wait!

Hope to meet up with members at the Qld VMX rounds.....

Till then, safe and happy holidays everyone.

Retiring ... all bikes and parts must go.....  1984 KX250's (2 off) and Resto Project 1983 KX125's (3 off)

PM for details

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 10:07:55 PM »
QVMX is the club for you Charlie, we have a website that is getting renovated shortly and a facebook page on the 2014 Post Classic Nationals we are holding next ANZAC weekend at Echo Valley, Toowoomba. If you need any info you can ring me on 0412 747 729. Our first practice weekend is in Febuary. Cheers.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Charlie B

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 07:39:57 AM »
Thanks Davey, QVMX secretary Rob has kindly provided me with the membership form back in early Nov, and mentoined the practice round in Feb, and saw the post here and on FB for the classic nationals, just waiting for the new year to kick in to pay my dues.

I have notified my minster for Sport, Finance, Tourisim and Internal Affairs, that the weekends in question are off limits to anything other than QVMX related activity.  Truth be told she has been awesome and very supportive of the aquistion of yet another bike, but I'm sure all riders have supportive influencers in their lives (this might be an opportunity to start a post to salute all those that make what we do possible, partners, sponsors, friends, family etc....)

I should also thank Popeye from QVMX, who was racing 3 different class's at the last round at Harrisville, and yet still took time out to talk to me about VMX in general, and gave me a wealth of information to get me started. Thanks Popeye

Anyway, thanks again for the message, I'll give you a call early I the new year to cover off a couple of things if that's ok, QVMX here we come..... ;)

PM for details

mainline

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 09:12:49 AM »
You'll have to tell us some more about the 84 KX?

The QVMX tracks are fantastic, you're going to love it.

Offline popeye

• Legend
  • 1-2-3 wheel's l don't care...All good fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 12:24:31 PM »
Not a problem Charlie , it will be good to see you on the track..
Have a merry and safe Christmas and we will see ya soon
IN IT FOR THE FUN OF IT. LIKE MR NIKE SAYS JUST DO IT.

Offline Charlie B

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 09:21:21 PM »

As soon as it lands (ETA 12th of Dec), I'll share all the news.... ;)

PM for details

Offline Charlie B

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 09:22:13 PM »

It has finally arrived.....

It is a 1984, 250 that was restored and raced by the www.motorsportretro.com team.

Some of the NSW VMX'ers may recognise the bike, I understand it was reasonably successful on the NSW scene.

Not sure I'll be emulating the success of the past on this machine, but going to give it a red hot go.....

Looks like time to go from "wanna be" to "gonna be".........  ;)......as soon as I can get it it started anyway  :(

PM for details

mainline

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 09:45:50 PM »
Very nice.

Has spark, Fuel ? No chux in the airbox, banana in the tail pipe etc?

Offline Charlie B

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 10:24:53 PM »
Very nice.

Has spark, Fuel ? No chux in the airbox, banana in the tail pipe etc?

All the above appear to be ok.....compression really high,  Spark could be stronger, plug a little wet, will try iridium plug and lean out fuel a little ... maybe throw some quick start at it....

See how that goes...... Plan B, CDI / magneto resistance checks, rejet carb, ......

So the fun begins  ;)

PM for details

mainline

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 10:35:01 PM »
if you want a few acres to do some testing over xmas let me know ;D

Offline Charlie B

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 11:35:19 PM »
Wanna be to gonna be...... :D

Just wanted to say thank you to the guys @ QVMX (John and Brian) for the super fast turn around and help with my membership and race licence applications.

Thanks again

Much appreciated.

PM for details