Author Topic: They are sidecars !  (Read 5353 times)

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
They are sidecars !
« on: November 04, 2013, 06:01:25 PM »
With the utmost politeness, I am somewhat annoyed at racing sidecars being referred to as "chrome shopping trolleys" or similar. Notice I name solos as "Solos" . This stinking trolley crap stems from earlier imbecilic rubbish threads as an insulting put down on all re their supposed handling .  Sidecars, outfits, even side-hacks. OK it's not that hard.
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

TM BILL

Re: They are sidecars !
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 06:07:08 PM »
Sorry you take offence Tim , we called them trolleys in the UK in the 70s and drivers and passengers called solos polos  :o Nobody seemed to be too bothered it was harmless banter, however i will refrain from using that term on this side of world in future   :)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 06:15:44 PM by TM bill »

Offline Tim754

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 06:40:52 PM »
Thanks Bill.... :-[ My pain killers from last Fridays cardiac tune up must be waring off... :o Tim754
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 06:59:15 PM »
And thanks for the info Bill from the British Lands re the nick names, obviously I went of half cocked not knowing all the facts. :-\ :-\ :-\

now to continue the suck up job... The home Dragon   arrr wife  and I be making a holiday to New Zealand in 2015 . Would be pleased to meet you face to face if that be possible? Give ya a chance to whack me round the ears if nothing else.... ;) Cheers Tim754                "the latest dose of opiates are kicking back in...." :o ;D
                                                   Voltaire.

TM BILL

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 07:43:07 PM »
Tim look forward to meeting up  :) keep in touch and let us know dates etc , maybe you can help the Buzzard sort this out while your here  ;D

http://forum.ozvmx.com/index.php?topic=31519.0
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 07:44:54 PM by TM bill »

Tony T

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 08:19:47 PM »
They were always called "chairs" or "outfits" where I come from........  ;)

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 10:40:16 AM »
The Black Art  :o sorry Tim couldn't resist hey I thought they were all terms of endearment  ;) hey Tim how did your stint go mate ? all good we hope  :)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 11:07:14 AM »
I have no affinity and little interest in sidecars but even I think the shopping trolley description was a bit lame. I'm a reasonably tolerant kind of bloke but it annoys me no end hearing the incessant shit canning of other peoples bikes. One blokes shitbox is another blokes pride and joy and I don't know why people do it. I was talking to a guy at the Nats about a girl racer who was riding both a Triumph Metisse and a Maico. After me saying how impressed I was by her riding, he replied with a totally straight face, "Yeah, I wonder how she'd go on something decent". which to me showed total ignorance. The old Maico Breako bullshit was originally coined by Super Hunky back in the early seventies as a joke but ignorant punters now take those two words as the gospel that Maicos somehow break more than other brands.....ironically, despite having access to most bikes on the market, Hunky almost exclusively raced Maicos for 40 years ::). We also hear  "Pommy Shitboxes", "Jap Crap" and other put downs of good bikes. Every[/u] bike had its shortcomings and every bike has its good points so the sooner we appreciate that, our sport will be a much better place.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 11:32:37 AM »
Firko I'm annoyed by his comments the bloke who owns those bikes puts allot of prep into them doesnt ride them anymore himself and dragged them from lower Victoria up to qld, as well as a few other peoples bikes,  then let the young lady who is a very good rider on anything and a regular vmxer compete on them as well as another person, he could leave them in the shed and sp&£k off on them like plenty of others do I hope you put him in his place.
"You have not made any mistakes if you find extra pieces after assembling an object. In fact you have just found a way to make the object more efficient."

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 11:53:10 AM »
I agree Firko, ahh humans, funny bunch best not take them to seriously and look after the good ones ;)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 12:15:54 PM »
Firko I'm annoyed by his comments the bloke who owns those bikes puts allot of prep into them doesnt ride them anymore himself and dragged them from lower Victoria up to qld, as well as a few other peoples bikes,  then let the young lady who is a very good rider on anything and a regular vmxer compete on them as well as another person, he could leave them in the shed and sp&£k off on them like plenty of others do I hope you put him in his place

At first I thought he was taking the piss so I didn't read too much into what he said but a bit further into the conversation it became clearer that the bloke was a tosser. He made a couple of lame comments towards my out of action DT1 and Cheney which I also didn't appreciate, especially considering the work I'd put into them leading up to the meeting. The grumpier than normal look on my face and my turning my back on him would have given him a clear message.  Stacey Heaney, the girl in question was indeed a good racer and was also the helpful young trainee paramedic who treated my badly cut leg. She's a nice kid, aboard two lovely bikes and there should be more young people like her in the sport.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Andrew L

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2013, 11:41:10 PM »
Well said firko we need more stacey's in this sport and less of the tosser's
Our venturer leader had a bsa500 scrambler outfit and I wish I could find it now as it was one of the best fun 2 fifteen year old boys could have belting around on it(keep the comments clean)it helped me heaps to learn about bike control .
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 11:51:55 PM by mavman4200p »
"You have not made any mistakes if you find extra pieces after assembling an object. In fact you have just found a way to make the object more efficient."

Offline 270YAM

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 08:54:28 PM »
Stick that in ya trolley!

Offline 270YAM

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 09:27:26 PM »
Yes no worries!
I think the one in the pictures would be lighter than the newly imported one in question haha ;D
More delays, have to wait till the 28th!