Author Topic: Sweden visit  (Read 2135 times)

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
Sweden visit
« on: July 04, 2013, 11:27:51 PM »
Any recommendations on good places to visit in Sweden.

Is there a Husky Museum?

Are there any recommended Husky parts suppliers?

Thanks

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Sweden visit
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 11:47:57 PM »
Any recommendations on good places to visit in Sweden.

Is there a Husky Museum?

Are there any recommended Husky parts suppliers?

Thanks

You could be forgiven for forgetting about old bikes for a while  ;)

Husky museum would be pretty cool to see though
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline Husabergpete

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 07:30:09 AM »
Gippslander,

I have been over there about 12 times for family. Great people. Weather can be a bit unpredictable. Usual question we get is what week is summer in Sweden???

The Husky Museum in Huskvarna  (I think the town is actually spelt with the K). It is a must. They have a huge bike section but they also show all the other things the company has made such as firearms and dishwashers.

The other must sees in Stockholm are the Wasa Museum. The oak warship Wasa sank on maiden voyage in 1629 in the harbour - pulled up in the 1960's - bunged up the holes and floated it into the museum where it has been restored. Will blow you away.

Go to an outdoor housing museum called Skansen. Viking houses reconstructed through to late modern.  Take a ferry to a Viking village being excavated (from Stockholm harbour).

Gothenberg is a great place too but on the other side of the country. Not that far really cause it is long and narrow.

Most of the things you would do are very dependant on the time of year that you go. Bit hard to get around in 3m of snow and minus 20 in winter.  Summer might get to 20 plus and nearly 24 hrs of daylight. Summer warmth brings out the locals and the Swedish National Bird - called Mygg - we call it the mosquito... ;D

Pete
KTM 250 1980,  Maico 250 AW 1977, Husqvarna CR 430 1981, , CZ 250 1973 and a 550 Husaberg

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 10:55:58 AM »
Pete....I know Norway a different country from Sweden but did you watch the Lillehammer series on SBS? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1958961/   Weird but terrific Scandinavian humour. I loved every minute of it. I enjoyed Wallander with Kenneth Branagh on  the ABC as well. Dark and miserable side of Sweden but riveting to watch.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 10:57:59 AM by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Husabergpete

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 07:55:59 PM »
Firko,

As it turns out I wait for my regular visits to soak up a bit more Viking culture. 

Although the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo gets my blood gushing to the right spots.

Rookie,  how did you get the photo of my missus? (taken last week)  (second from the left) This photo of is absolute true reflection of my early memories of Swedish Culture.

Gibbslander, not sure where you intend to put foot ashore, why or when but Rookie has the right idea. Forget about the Museums and Husqvarna bikes.

Stick with the fellowship side of the Culture. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 08:01:06 PM by Husabergpete »
KTM 250 1980,  Maico 250 AW 1977, Husqvarna CR 430 1981, , CZ 250 1973 and a 550 Husaberg

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 10:50:52 PM »
Thanks for the info, gives me a few pointers.

Last time I was up that way there were lots of girls dressed like that, was in Oslo on a hot Saturday and there is a park near the centre of town that has lots of fountains and the locals were all down to their undies and in the fountains and lying around on the grass catching a bit of the rare sunshine, was great scenery ;D

And the Lilyhammer TV show was spot on, it reminded us a lot of the rural parts of Norway, the people really are different, everything seems to have a different focus, probably some of that comes from the fact that for half the year the sun shines most of the day and for the other half its mostly dark and under heavy snow.

The wife was interested to see the recommendations on  places to visit in Stockholm, and I will try and make time to get to the Husky museum, it's always good to get a few photos and see how other people appreciate old motorbikes.

The trip is a holiday, my wife studied and practised in the UK for a few years so she has lots of friends over there to visit and I tag along but like to get away and have a look at things that interest me, hence the question about Husky places of interest.

Had a Husky  30.06 rifle once, it was nicely made, and my mother had a husky sewing machine, so the museum will probably be interesting even from an engineering and manufacturing point of view.

Offline euro bikes

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 03:20:50 AM »
There is LINKOPING  meeting at the start of August each year, it is a big meeting all classic bikes . Road racing ,trials,MX and speedway plus swapmeet worth a look and MX CLASSIK DES NATIONS is on in Sweden this year in September.  And you can come to Finland and watch the MX there as well ,great tracks.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 05:40:27 AM by euro bikes »

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 09:28:23 AM »
Cant beat a bus full of Swedish tourists at a waterhole.......

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 09:45:56 AM »
Hi Gippslander.I rode at the Linkoping event in 2008, and it was huge. See VMX Mag issue 33. Not just VMX but classic roadracing, speedway and trials all at the same venue.The facility, local support ( the road signs show directions to the event from at least 100 km out ), and the whole deal makes it a fascinating event.
If at all possible you must get there.
Huskvarna is just 100km down a beautifull open freeway. youd do it in a bit over an hour each way. The museum is quite small but a must do if you can.
Have a great trip.