Author Topic: brain surgeon  (Read 4474 times)

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: brain surgeon
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 02:14:00 pm »
Now some guy is going out to get themselves an XT 250, throw about ten grand at the motor, spend another few months trying to shave 30 odd kilos from the thing and then claim that it's the best thing since slice bread and back it up by pointing out that some guy in Europe got a first place in one race in a round of the 1977 one legged, type two diabetes, B grade world titles on the very same bike

It was 1980 to be exact.

Dutchman Elmer van der Clog rode a highly modified XT250 to victory in the final round of the one legged, type two diabetes, B grade world titles held near the village of De Cocksdorp in Holland.

The modifications were necessary to Elmer’s XT, as his Slovenian arch rival Ratsak Slabovic rode a Honda XL250S. The 23’ inch front wheel of the Honda was something of an advantage as it had caught Elmer out before when he’d been beaten by those two extra inches in a photo finish at a previous round.  He needed to level the playing field.

The exact modifications are a closely guarded secret to this day, though it is believed that many key components were replaced with lightweight alternatives made of wood. The helmet lock was also removed to reduce weight.

In the end the hometown hero and his XT250 were victorious by a satisfying half inch, after a gruelling moto that took a full 72 hours to complete. Third place was eventually taken by wildcard rider Derek Wipple from Guernsey on a BSA Bantam a day later.  There is some dispute about this as no-one actually remained at the venue to verify the third and subsequent placings.

I’m building a replica of Elmer’s one of a kind race winner right now. Ok, not right now, but maybe later when I get home from work. 

Tex
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 02:15:33 pm by Tex »

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2012, 02:18:02 pm »
 ;D ;D :D
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

maico police

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2012, 03:31:52 pm »

It was 1980 to be exact.

Dutchman Elmer van der Clog rode a highly modified XT250 to victory in the final round of the one legged, type two diabetes, B grade world titles held near the village of De Cocksdorp in Holland.

The modifications were necessary to Elmer’s XT, as his Slovenian arch rival Ratsak Slabovic rode a Honda XL250S. The 23’ inch front wheel of the Honda was something of an advantage as it had caught Elmer out before when he’d been beaten by those two extra inches in a photo finish at a previous round.  He needed to level the playing field.

The exact modifications are a closely guarded secret to this day, though it is believed that many key components were replaced with lightweight alternatives made of wood. The helmet lock was also removed to reduce weight.

In the end the hometown hero and his XT250 were victorious by a satisfying half inch, after a gruelling moto that took a full 72 hours to complete. Third place was eventually taken by wildcard rider Derek Wipple from Guernsey on a BSA Bantam a day later.  There is some dispute about this as no-one actually remained at the venue to verify the third and subsequent placings.

I’m building a replica of Elmer’s one of a kind race winner right now. Ok, not right now, but maybe later when I get home from work. 

Tex

Great. There'll be hundreds of the things at the next CD...... :'(

Montynut

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 04:12:14 pm »
You guys have supplanted Firko at the top of the XT250 Register of Australia wanted dead or alive list and all three of you have most certainly slipped off their Christmas card list ;D ;D ;D ;D :D

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2012, 06:53:54 pm »
You guys have supplanted Firko at the top of the XT250 Register of Australia wanted dead or alive list and all three of you have most certainly slipped off their Christmas card list
I've also been banished to purgatory by el Clubo Bultacos, el Presidente himself for daring to publicly criticise my own Bultaco Lobito and take some tongue in cheek pisstakes at his beloved Bultaco Rally. After that little battle I'll handle anything those pesky XT boffins chuck at me. ;D
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2012, 06:57:58 pm »
Bagging Lobito's is a crime?????
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2012, 07:50:38 pm »
and all three of you have most certainly slipped off their Christmas card list ;D ;D ;D ;D :D

That's no loss, their Christmas cards have always arrived around March-April anyway, case even their Christmas cards are too forken slow!!!!! :D :D :D
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: brain surgeons ride XT250s
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2012, 08:51:47 pm »
Dear oh dear, Elmer van der Clog would be turning in his grave. Only reason he isn't is because he's not dead yet. I spoke to him earlier and he told me in his broken English that he's very upset about these aspersions being cast on the machine that won him the one legged, type two diabetes, B grade world title in '80. Fortunately I am multilingual and can speak broken English, so he was able to divulge some of the closely guarded performance secrets that can turn this bike into a serious race winner. I've already removed the helmet lock from my XT250...

all three of you have most certainly slipped off their Christmas card list

Unlikely. I am the proud owner of one of these fine machines. Can't vouch for the other two though.

The XT250 Register of Australia will probably put a hit out on me now

Indeed. You won't hear us coming either. XT250s are very quiet (and economical too).

they're probably all too busy also becoming members of the lawn bowls and mobility scooter register's

That's no loss, their Christmas cards have always arrived around March-April anyway, case even their Christmas cards are too forken slow!

Traitor! You own one don't you?!

Tex

« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 08:55:22 pm by Tex »

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2012, 10:17:18 pm »

all three of you have most certainly slipped off their Christmas card list

Unlikely. I am the proud owner of one of these fine machines. Can't vouch for the other two though.

Traitor! You own one don't you?!

Tex

[/quote]

Oh no no no my good friend!!! What i own is the much beefier, faster, manlier TT250!!! :D :D :P

THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club