Author Topic: Chat room/area??  (Read 1152 times)

gerpster

Chat room/area??
« on: March 10, 2008, 08:30:38 PM »
Given the number of members usually logged in each evening I was wondering if a chat facility would be useful for the forum????

Totally optional and it would let people contact directly in real time about minor things without having to post - but hopefully not detract at all from posting all the usual stuff. I have mentioned this to Graeme (it would be using a free Java based service - nothing to download) and he suggested I post here to gauge interest/reaction etc. It seems to work well on a another bike forum I subscribe to.     :)

Doc

Re: Chat room/area??
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 08:51:59 PM »
I have no objection to that, it's not compulsory and highly doubtful it would affect the forum so maybe worth a go. I tend to be a hit and run type person online. I check in am and pm and if I walk past the computer during the day or night I'll have a look and maybe post then continue doing whatever so chat really doesn't work for me. Not everyone is the same though ;)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 11:15:11 PM »
I hold a general view that chat rooms weaken technical-type forums.
Of all the zillion discussions that have been asked on these forums, very few are not worthy of being archived.
Look at how much useful info we lost at the hands of the hacker twit, and how annoying it was... I reckon that a chat room would simply stop that info from being posted in the first place.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 11:19:55 PM »
Yes I have to agree with Nathan fully on those very reasons. Sorry Greg OK. Tim754
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 11:37:44 PM »
An interesting thought Greg and perhaps it would suit some members?
But I'm with Doc, Nathan and Tim on this one.
I also check in am & pm & sometimes through the day for replies and unread posts.
I'm also a slow typer.
Any info being passed through a Chat Room would be missed by the other forum members; and that would be a shame.
I fear the vast array of quality info, gossip, trivia and general chat would be diluted.

I suppose the PMs could be utilised for private off-thread chat.
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

gerpster

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 07:43:41 AM »
Yep I understand the concern re losing good technical and informative posts etc...I did think that myself but was wondering what the general opinion was. Looks like a no go. No probs just a thought.... :)