Author Topic: What to visit in the Uk.  (Read 1924 times)

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
What to visit in the Uk.
« on: October 31, 2012, 09:45:00 PM »
Looking to do a 6-8 week tour of the UK in August/September next year. Drakies post tells me to visit the Sammy Miller Museum, what else would be good to take in both bike and tourist wise. Hoping Grouty might point me in some good spots for vmx and speedway/grasstrack. I'd like to take in Mark Cooks CCM Britian and bring back a 79 frame as hand luggage but I might have some more spadework on the missus for that one, although she does remind me about taking wheels home in luggage before.
Rosco86

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: What to visit in the Uk.
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 10:34:28 PM »
SAMMY MILLER FOR SURE
while you are down that way nipp accross to jersy and look at the ww2 stuff all over the island you might even get to see some sand racing at low tide.

you could be lucky and enroll in a speedway training day (i missed out on this).

rickman motorcycles in stroud.

stay in westminster in london can walk to everything from there.boat trip down the thames to greenich village stop off at tower bridge on way back.back on next ferry to london eye(not bad ride)all for std ferry ticket.
try and get brit bike mags and see whats on
hope this helps.
ps chass mortimer will bring a complete bike to aust for 800.00 pounds
jim
uk france trip this year

albrid-3

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 11:17:35 PM »
Go and visit the DOT factory, I think its in Manchester.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 11:34:18 PM »
I'm pretty sure the MX Vets Des Nations will be on in September at Fairleigh Castle down Bath way....Goodwood Festival of Speed is close by and a week before I think....maybe catch a GP or the modern Des Nations....gee, your going to be busy.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 11:42:20 PM »
So much to see,so little time  8)
Rod Sprys/Wasp/Cotton all these cottage industries would be worth the time. 8)
and then there are all the shows  :P

Found this little squirt series.Not so sure on the idea of why a 1983 cut-off though.?
http://forums.mxtrax.co.uk/showthread.php/330735-Partridge-Ventilation-Pre83-125-British-Championship-2013
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 11:46:11 PM by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 11:54:38 PM »
The pubs around the docks in Liverpool bugger all that bike stuff  ;D Goodwood would have to be a must, why not just jump on the Chunnel and go to Europe, Speedway in Poland, lap of the Nordschilfle,  Namur,trials in Spain, a indoor trials in the UK, indoor Enduro in France, Bercy SX in Paris(get the missus back on side), get a cheap flight to Prague for the weekend, go to Germany and hire a car and go flat knacker on the Autobahn all day, visit the Alps in Switzerland, could go on and on with all the fun things to do in Europe all a quick flight from Stanstead airport, too short a time to be in stuffy old factories/museums with blokes in flat caps and brown coats. London is a expensive dive but the countryside is nice, autumn is a nice time to vist
Jesus only loves two strokes

mainline

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 11:58:59 PM »
Battle of Britain Flight would be on my list

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/

Offline TooFastTim

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 06:46:04 AM »
In London? The science museum. Put aside three days  ::). Imperial war museum. RAF museum in Cosford.

Battle of Britain Flight would be on my list

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/

One of the trials riders on Trials Central used to fly with the Battle of Britain Flight.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 08:05:07 PM »
Goodwood Festival of Speed  July
or
Goodwood Revival  September
Best is in the West !!

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 01:26:07 PM »
     If you are into speedway, I would be looking at getting over to watch at least one of the speedway GP rounds on about that time of the year. GP dates are Terrenzano, Italy on the 3rd of August;     Daugavpils, Latvia on the 17th of August;     Krsko, Slovinia on the 7th of September;    Stockholm, Sweden on the 21st of September. The GP at Stockholm is at a covered arena, so there should be no worries of a weather affected event. Two Aussies competing, with Chris Holder defending his World title and Darcy Ward, so there should be plenty to cheer about. There may even be three Aussies in the mix by then, as Troy Bachelor is on the reserves list, if anyone of the qualified riders is injured in the earlier rounds.
     Of course I also wouldn't be missing the Farleigh Castle VMXDN, usually on around mid to late September. The Linkoping, Sweden VMX event is usually on around the last week in July or the first week in August as well.   
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 01:36:45 PM by Husky500evo »

IT400C

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 11:35:08 AM »
Just remember to stay well clear of any Aussie Speedway ride with a Vodka bottle in his hand.....   ::)

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 11:47:36 AM »
Just remember to stay well clear of any Aussie Speedway ride with a Vodka bottle in his hand.....   
;D ;D
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha