Author Topic: Early 60s Aussie Scrambles  (Read 3796 times)

firko

Early 60s Aussie Scrambles
« on: July 12, 2008, 05:32:39 PM »
Here's an great old unidentified Aussie MX from the early 60s. Anybody recognise the track or any of the riders? I reckon it might be Mortlake but you Victorians may know better.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NIcUSEdHoPk&feature=related

Offline BultacoMacca

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Early 60s Aussie Scrambles
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 03:12:02 PM »
Don't you love all those officials and corner marshalls in their white coats, they look more like Doctors! And they probably needed a doctor after the rider went thru the flaming timber wall (that had gone out by the time he got to it). We should get Magoo to go thru a flamin' wall!
Have to get me a white coat for Heaven's next meeting.

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 09:34:40 AM »
that is one neat piece of footage.  love that green green grass!  also love the 'rustic' 60s scene - big chrome-laden cars, big chrome-laden mx bikes, tiny pudding bowl helmets, footy jerseys for protection, all natural terrain track.  and don't those 300kg machines get some momentum up!

good stuff, thanks.

mx250

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 09:48:57 AM »
I think the footage is sped up slightly but even so they are going pretty hard for the old land barges that they are.

Some riders are wearing club vests which might give a clue - red with a 'H' in a v from what I can make out.

Do you think we should stir up spectator susport for VMX by bringing back the burning stunt wall? The volunteer que forms to the right please ;D.

firko

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 01:53:03 PM »
Here's a "trial" from the same cameraman. The terrain doesn't look like Australia. No gum trees. I assumed that the above scramble was in Australia by the sighting of an FE Holden ute in the opening few frames but the more I look at the other cars there's a lot of Hilmans, Zephyrs and Vauxhalls, which the Kiwis loved more than us. There is also a '39 Chevy coupe which were popular in NZ but rare here. That FE ute and a lonely FX sedan seem to be the only Holdens in the film so it could well be NZ. I couldn't imagine an early 60's Aussie scramble without a shitload of spectator Holdens. I love this forensic stuff. Anybody recognise the countryside in the trial?

The "Flaming Wall of Death" may well be the Klub Kevlar CD6 project. Stay tuned for further press releases.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yG0amKvAPSQ&NR=1
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 01:57:15 PM by firko »

mx250

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 02:19:52 PM »
I agree Firko, most probably Kiwiland for all the reason you state. Best clue is the club vest. There appears to be a secound club vest, a green jersey with a LARGE yellow P on it.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 02:49:59 PM »
Yeh id recognise old TM bill anytime, thats him for sure.....
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 04:20:57 PM »
Yes it is NZ but where Im not sure, but at a guess I think lower North Island.
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 06:55:49 PM »
...there's a lot of Hilmans, Zephyrs and Vauxhalls, which the Kiwis loved more than us.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yG0amKvAPSQ&NR=1

and still are... I reckon it's New Zealand VMX from the late 90's... ;) :D ;D
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 11:23:39 PM »
Hi all, this video is from wanganui labour weekend annual 3 day meeting in the early "60's. Was a sort of a 1/4 mile track but with a right hand/left hand bit & a step down after that back onto the flat left curve. Was the monday [last day] with quick fire races all day, Great way to top off the weekend if ya bike had survived the [genuine] 100mph grass TT [miniature TT we called them--maybe still do!!] Remember Tim Gibbes worksy 6 day AJS doing 87mph on the speedo & being passed by two jap engined specials like he was standing still [fast long left curve straight [well, bent straight!!] then a mx on the sunday on the famous hurricane circuit--not far from the equally famous devils drop mx circuit. Always a good weekend, even recognised myself & mates albeit briefly tank slapping around there. thanks to who put these up here [think Dr Doud if i recal].

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 11:30:13 PM »
[think Dr Doud if i recal].

shame~his last activity was 2009.. :'(
Best is in the West !!

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 11:42:15 PM »
While i'm at it, the trials video Is definitely nz [can name two riders at least], looks like it could be close to home [for me] & looks like it's on land beside the Pahiatua Track [which is a 'highway' from Palmerston North over the hill to Pahiatua].  If it's not well it's this end of the north island at least. Two riders i can name for sure are Brian Zemanek on the Jawa & Peter McKechnie on a Matchy or AJ 350 [always rode in shorts]. If not Brian Zemanek it's Keith Cheriton on the Jawa. Apologies if my name spellings a bit off. Thanks again to [think it was] Dr Doud for posting the video.

Offline OverTheHill

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 11:55:55 PM »
to VMX247 above, isn't it great when this old footage turns up. Just getting the hang of this forum though & didn't realise how long ago they were posted. Had a look though his others too--hope more turn up eventually [i'm hooked] Cheers.