Author Topic: I'm Just So Pleased I'm Old/ II  (Read 2615 times)

mx250

I'm Just So Pleased I'm Old/ II
« on: May 13, 2011, 07:33:29 am »
I'm just so pleased I'm old.

Is this the future? If it is I'm sure glad I won't have to put up with the shit for too long  ::).

Ah, the '70's - the golden era. We had the roads, the tracks, the bush, the freedom, the music, enduro's were endurance events, the bikes handled half decent and were fast and reliable (except for B50 and the Pommy rubbish  ;D), the Nanny State was yet to be invented, men were men and the sheep were nervous  :D (well, in New Zealand anyway  ;D).

http://www.caradvice.com.au/50781/nsw-state-wide-speed-limit-90kmh/

"NSW NRMA’s regional director Graham Blight recently told the media that the RTA’s hidden agenda is to drop the state-wide speed limit to 90km/h. Mr Blight’s allegations came as the RTA dropped the speed limit on the Newell Highway fell from 110km/h in places to 100 on December 1. Mr Blight suggests the RTA’s first step in this process is to get rid of 110km/h zones that aren’t on divided roads (read: freeways and motorways)."

If things get much worst I'll have to migrate to NZ  8).

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: I'm Just So Pleased I'm Old/ II
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 08:22:48 am »
I fixed it for you.

"NSW NRMA’s regional director Graham Blight recently told the media that the RTA’s hidden agenda is to drop the state-wide speed limit to 90km/h to bring it in line with the the current IQ level of politicians.
Mr Blight’s allegations came as the RTA dropped the speed limit on the Newell Highway fell from 110km/h in places to 100 on December 1. Mr Blight suggests the RTA’s first step in this process is to match speed limits with the falling rate of the IQ of the current politicians.  As this trend continues we will return to driving horse and buggies to enable us to keep within the speed limit.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 09:20:19 am »
One of my favourite subjects. :)
A while back they spent millions on Cunninghams Gap making it safer.
What did they do ?
Took down the 100k signs and replaced them with 70k,s. ??? ???
Now they are spending billions but they had to because it fell off the mountain.

I was on the Great Ocean Rd a few years back and a sign said that they had spent a large amount of money [getting old can,t remember how much ] fixing the m/cycle black spots.
What did they do ?
Put up signs saying -> MOTORCYCLE BLACK SPOT. ??? ???
I am going to die in the not too distant future and am looking forward to it because I won,t have to watch or listen to the insane bullshit that comes out of governments anymore. :)
Pollies IQ of 90  ;D
 Crash n Burn .
You are being very generous I think. :)

85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 10:08:41 am »
Hmmm. I'm a bit skeptical of the 90kph claim - there are at least some within the RTA who are open to the idea of raising the speed limit on the Hume.
The RTA doesn't make significant policy decisions by themselves. The real changes come from the politicians - and our new overlords seem far more realistic than the previous lot. Dropping the state limit to 90 would be completely unrealistic, and seemingly unlikely.

I'd also suggest that it would be political suicide for any govt to allow it to happen - although our current lot could most politically afford it, if they were so motivated.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2011, 10:45:46 am »
:)
Pollies IQ of 90  ;D
 Crash n Burn .
You are being very generous I think. :)

I know, I know.  I was trying to keep within the context of the original article, but it did cross my mind as I wrote it.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2011, 11:12:49 am »
 Nathan, I don't believe what you said [The RTA doesn't make policy].
 It seems to me the the RTA, at least with the previous lot of pollies was the worst type of quango possible and the new lots' stated policy of turfing out the current RTA is the best news as far as NSW is concerned.
 It seems they have had an open slather run at empire building, massive spending, for contractor mates etc, to the detriment of sensible transport alternatives, ridiculous deals with thier mates at places like mac-bank to get money out of mobile parking stations, [read M5 etc], with minimum thought for future needs.
 Lets hope the new plan for transport infrastructure rectifies these problems.
 I believe oz has the knowledge and the opportunity to show the rest of the world how its done in this respect instead of blindly following the rest of the world where in a lot of countries we traditionally follow trucks and cars just get into cruise mode but then hit the border or the sea!
 Here endeth my rant for today.
 cheers pancho
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

mx250

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 11:32:00 am »
Nathan, I don't believe what you said [The RTA doesn't make policy].

+1, me ;D.

Technically Nathan might be right but watch Yes Minister and Yes Prime minister for the idea of how things actually work. It was meant as humour but it is just sooooo close to the truth it could be a political Science program  :o ::).

Small pressures groups (a.k.a. The squeaky hinge) of zealots (a.k.a. greenies and/or Safety Nazi's/Safetycrats and/or The Fun Police and/or Kill Joys, and/or wowsers ;)), can spend inordinate amounts of time and effort (more so than the ordinary people because we actually have real jobs) in the public arena and have an undue influence. 

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 12:00:49 pm »
I said "significant policy".
They bumble along, and occasionally someone might get excited and push in a particular direction, but all of the big stuff is political. A relative of mine is fairly high up in the organisation, in an area that I think they're doing a crappy job of.
The conversations always go like this:
Me: "Why don't you ..."
Reply: "Everyone knows its a good idea, but there's no budget and no chance of getting a budget unless a politician gets behind it".

And given the axe that O'Farrell has been waving around, I can't imagine anyone in the RTA sticking their neck out too far.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 12:07:13 pm »
 Good!
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 03:04:37 pm »
im wondering where all the people that spruked up the gillard camp last election have gone  ???   .......      This government is a joke, there budget is a joke and really,she just does my head in anyway.

what a bunch of wankers.

I dare not go back to the forum post on here pre election, as i reckon i was scathing then and its got worse and get even more cranky.   Thaks for nothing you guys that voted them in.... and brown that other moron who reckon hes in the same party.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

oldfart

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 03:25:14 pm »
Dropping the speed limit is all about money and not lives, and yes Nathan I agree with your post entirely.
Freaky it does not  take much for you to do your head in on a normal day, which bring me to your ride in a few weeks...... time is running out quickly  ::)   

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 03:53:04 pm »
I was involved in an association once that gave me a microcosm view of how politics work.  The movers and shakers are the minority who get shouted down and eventually run out, and the lowest common denominator rules.

Offline asasin

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 05:05:47 pm »
Dont think it is better in unzud, here they "fixed" a 25 k peice of main road (100km speed limit ) by taking out the passing lanes and double yellow lining ( no Passing ) the whole strech now if you go a the wrong time you follow grandad or a camper @70Km all the way to town. >:( the lines get up to 30 plus cars and the cops do nothing, but go over  100 and they nail you, , profit ,profit, profit!!!
 making it "safe" my arse!!
If in doubt ,WIND IT OUT

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 12:58:51 pm »
Don,t care any more.
My main worry now is how do you hook a free set top box up to a free flatscreen tele ??? ???
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.