Author Topic: New VMX participants  (Read 1223 times)

Offline redrider1

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
New VMX participants
« on: November 10, 2010, 02:52:17 PM »
Just a couple of thoughts and questions regarding some sponsorship or scholarship packages for new VMX racing participants.
I know it may be a contentious issue for some, but are there, or have there been, any forms of varying sponsorship packages available for new VMX race participants?
By this I mean, possible use of sponsored bike for a selected event, or series? Of course there would be a selection criteria for possible participants.
Just wandering if there is some form of system that could be set up as to allow people to experience the VMX scene on a limited sponsorship basis?

If someone made the commitment to obtain all the relevant competition licencing, could the VMX fraternity, as a whole, come up with some combined sponsorship packages for people to use?

As there are probably many VMX fans out there that are keen to participate in VMX race meetings, but dont currently have the available resources, this may be a system they could utilise.

These are just some thoughts open for a discussion, please dont feel that suggestions are being made that this should happen. It may be one idea to sustain a good level of participation amongst the ranks. This is in no way a self directed request.

cheers

TM BILL

Re: New VMX participants
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 03:16:09 PM »
I know where your coming from and its cool to be proactive in increasing participation  :)

Sponsorship though Hmmm , Myself and many other forum members do and will probably continue to lend bikes to mates wishing to have a go.

I personally wouldn't be prepared to lend one of my bikes to a random person though (overseas riders being the exeption ) , however i would possibly look at a rental deal ( but that in itself could be very contetious )

I believe there are still a shit load of cheap entry level bikes out there for the budding VMXer to get started at minimal cost.

Its a good concept but would take a special (read very generous ) person to put up such an offer  :)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 07:43:27 PM »
I agree Bill - no shortage of bikes volunteered for someone to try - and if you want to get started in VMX really it can be as little as 1/3 of getting ready for a modern season!
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 10:01:09 PM »
I suppose if a club had a few spare bucks they could buy/ make up a couple of "cheap entry level bikes " for potential members to have a ride?
Sorting the dick wits from the serious may be a trick though. ;D

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 10:12:10 PM »
Maybe go see your local bike shop and see if they will sponsor you for a season or 2 and supply you with oil, chains, filters, plugs or what ever. Also maybe contact your  local fuel distributor Mobil, BP or Elf etc  and see if they will sponsor you with reduced cost fuel for racing and in return you slap all their stickers on your bike and maybe you can have an article in your local country newspaper saying for example 'john smith is racing a 1976 YZ250 at this years VMX nats at ...... and he says hes looking forward to it and would like to thank his major sponsors....... etc' and maybe you can be in the photo wearing your sponsors shirt with logo or what ever next to your bike. Small country newspapers love that sort of stuff to add a bit of spice to the normal boring content, and then if you win a trophy you can have a photo taken and frame it and give it to your sponsor to hang in their office. You get the picture.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 10:18:12 PM by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 10:42:47 PM »
I suppose if a club had a few spare bucks they could buy/ make up a couple of "cheap entry level bikes " for potential members to have a ride?

good thinking-this is kind of implemented in our club members already  8)
cheers
Best is in the West !!