Author Topic: EVO GUIDELINES  (Read 23672 times)

Offline William Doe

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: EVO GUIDELINES
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2015, 01:28:08 pm »
As there are obviously 2 defined camps the obvious solution is as has been suggested is 2 classes .

True EVO with bikes and parts from bikes 1978 to 1980 ( but include the accepted True EVO flow ons ) for the era purist .

This is a proper historic class and should be enforced as such .

Super EVO race what you have created as per the MOMs now for those who are not era purist .

This is a hybrid class for those who see it differently and budget is more important that era correctness .Of course this class would have very fluid and open guidelines and the 10 ,20 or 30 foot rule would work a treat .

Maybe both will be well supported , or only the strong will survive .
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 01:30:33 pm by William Doe »
Its only old bike racing FFS get over yourselves

The Artist formerly known as TM Bill

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2015, 01:40:48 pm »
agreed Bill - and this was suggested previously (dates a little different  ;D) - if lots of support and more bikes on the track great - if not supported it will soon show up.  Win win all around I think.

But I think I am becoming the victim of my own accusations and this is getting too personal - so shall drop out and watch now.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2015, 02:10:21 pm »
The simple answer is Vinduro's were no one really gives a F#ck about how legal your bike is.

Fact Im sure given a long enough thread some of you could argue with yourself, If your not bickering about rules you have nothing to talk about, If you put the same energy into hours in the shed as you do pissing into the breeze on here we could see some great restro's.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2015, 02:17:21 pm »
TM Bills idea sounds pretty good

I think its been proven that the rules really need to be laid out in black and white. Get it all out so there’s no reading between the lines, no secrecy as what the rules are really trying to say, no assumptions need to be made, no rule bending, no differing interpretations, no ‘just use your own common sense and it will all be ok’ Its been proven time and time again that the rules are not clear enough for EVERYONE and they need to be. People should not have to be contacting MA to ask for clarifications all the time and there should not be differing interpretations.

We could go around in circles for ages but this could be so simple/easy if a 84 model cut off was put on EVO.

So my thoughts on how they could be much clearer could go something like this. If the rules were like this or even worded better I can not see how there ever would be any issues ever again. Even a 5 year old could follow these.

Eligible machines shall be

-Twinshock or non linkage
-Drum braked
-Air cooled – SEE NOTE 1
-1984 or older model cut off
-Reproduction or new custom made frames acceptable but the motor should still be a 1984 model or older.
-No converting linkage rear suspension bikes to twinshock
-No Converting engines that were originally water cooled to be air cooled
-No fitting of major/non consumable components from pre 85 or newer class bikes – SEE NOTE 2
-No follow on models – SEE NOTE 3

1 – I personally would not be against allowing period aftermarket watercooled kits, original or repro or own/custom designed conversion if it was within the spirit/looked right but admit could be hard to police as what looks period to 1 person does not to another. I do have old magazine articles from this period where there was how to articles on doing your own water cooled conversions. I do understand if the majority do not want to see this at all though.

2 -  Major/non consumable parts will need to be clarified. I do not really have an issue if someone wants to use OEM grips, pegs or handlebars off a pre 85 bike but components such as forks, wheels, triple clamps, swingarms, seats and tanks should not be used. Leave all the components on those newer class bikes on those bikes. If you really want to ride with those parts then just ride the bike they came off of in pre 85 or ride the Evo Franken bike in pre85 if it has pre85 parts on it.

3 – I think this is the best option unless someone can point out where it would be really hurtful to the class to not allow a particular model as a follow on. I am not up to speed on every single model and how many 1985 or newer models could be a true follow on. I do think though  if you really, really want to ride EVO then get an EVO bike that’s clearly 100% EVO. And make it easy for yourself.  A 1984 model or older bike that does not have discs/watercooling/linkage is an easy way to go about it!. Theres plenty of options out there. Stop trying to work out ways to get a bike that is not 100% EVO into that class.

Maybe there is room or enough of a demand for another class for people to build specials out of single shocked bikes converted to twinshocks or putting pre 85/pre90 components onto older bikes or whatever, but I don’t think these sorts of bikes represent what EVO is trying to be

But overall I think if you put 1984 year cut off on it, still call the class ‘EVO’ and then everything that has factory discs/linkage/watercooling goes straight to Pre85 it would be so much easier/clearer.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2015, 07:17:30 pm »
Ross, the "what" is the ambiguity and subsequent disagreement over the Evo rules.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 30, 2015, 11:02:03 pm »
I reckon this one's been done to death now. Let's move on to something more sympathetic to having fun on old dirtbikes...