Author Topic: SHINING RIMS  (Read 2946 times)

Offline TonyB

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
SHINING RIMS
« on: September 05, 2007, 03:10:49 PM »
Does anyone know how to get the lustre and shine back in my old faded matt silver alloy rims without removing any of the anodising etc? might be a stupid question but i don't want to get stuck in with the ol grinding polish only to find they start coroding a few months down the track because the coatings been ripped off.
'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting,  ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! ' '

mx250

Re: SHINING RIMS
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2007, 05:40:11 PM »
re-anodise them. I haven't done it but I think it is pretty straight forward.

But remember, all plating and paint is the same, if there's scretches they will probably still show.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2007, 10:59:28 PM »
the problem with reanodizing or even anodizing rims in the first place is you really need someone who has done it before.  I took a set to the "supposedly" best guy north of the river in Perth and he didn't want to do them - apparently when the wheels are dipped it is extrememly difficult to get an even coating across the wheel because of temp differences, size of baths etc etc etc

regards

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

YSS

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 01:27:41 PM »
We always use Wurth Alu cleaner  , looks like new every time and brings the colours back to life.
Thats the stuff that we use exhibitions and photo shots for catalogs or websites.

Offline TonyB

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 03:02:41 PM »
Wurth alu cleaner ey,mm I'l get some, is the shine permanent or is it only a one look wonder to be applied everytime you clean it?
'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting,  ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! ' '

YSS

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 07:27:54 PM »
It want stay shiny forever , as Alu is continously aging. Keep it oiled with CRC or some lube after washing .
I used to mix oil with petrol and spray the whole bike . That pushed out any water and then wipe it clean and store it.