Author Topic: What do we achieve out of these Events  (Read 3120 times)

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
What do we achieve out of these Events
« on: April 07, 2010, 08:21:21 AM »
yes, I think we can do much more than simply raise funds to keep people employed, and that's what HBBB is all about. I would like to be proved wrong!!

I would rather see the VMX community donate from every event, $1 from every rider to Canteen for Kids, can you imagine the differance we would make as a group, every vintage meet in Australia over a whole year,

This simple act would change the lives of many children with cancer!!!!!!

It would also do far more for our sport than the current State agaisnt State for events and we can all feel we are doing something for others, children with cancer.

I trully think our governing bodies are so caught up in themselves.

How hard can it be, we could raise without doing anything extra $100 000 for Canteen for kids as a whole group. I'm not saying dont have events, i think can we use these events for our sport and our whole community and not just so called promoters who are just doing it for a job.

How hard is it

Cheers Trev, worms
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 08:30:56 AM by worms »

TT

Re: What do we achieve out of these Events
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 08:53:45 AM »
Trev, are you putting events like Classic Dirt in the same boat?
Or are you simply referring to HBBB?

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 09:03:03 AM »
yeah , if the bill fits.

I like all these events, but think we can do more for sport and community!

I think we should all take the "I" factor out.

Thanks also for the comment Tony, as i think a lot folks are race horses with blinkers on!!!!!!!!! ;D

Cheers Trev
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 09:05:48 AM by worms »

TT

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 09:48:25 AM »
Not a bad thought, Trev. And it wouldn't be difficult to include a charity compoment to every event.
Not sure it should be compulsary though. e.g. by adding to the entry fee to have extra funds for a particular charity.
We also need to remember that there are lots of costs in getting these events happening for our entertainment, like insurance and the guys that organise it need to be paid for their time in the planning process etc. It doesn't just come together on the day.
Maybe, with the approval of the event organisors, you may be able to come up with something yourself that compliments the event and raises money for your particular charity?

e.g. at CD7 I'm doing photos and selling them with all money going to the Magoo Fund.

So my thoughts are simply that the organisors have enough on their plate just getting these events to happen but I don't see any reason you couldn't do something off the back of it.

I'm sure the VMX boys will be able to offer much for insight than me on the viability of this sort of thing though.

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 01:34:44 PM »
Tony, I certainly arnt pushing any bandwagon in particular, I feel i am just asking the question where everyones priorities lie, we have such a great sport and yet there seems to be the only benificories from it is our governing bodies. I just wanted to moot the fact that we can promote VMX better and as a whole, and maybe all of us who ride give 1 extra dollar a day per event to a cause like Canteen for Kids, is it that hard.

cheers Trev

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 01:43:45 PM »
Trev have a chat to Dave Alsop (TLR , Vintage Bike Market ,Dot , Hairy Monkeys Arse or whatever he is calling himself this hour... ???) You will find some years back "Canteen for Kids" actually were total beneficiaries of some full VMX meetings run in Winchelsea Victoria. Perhaps his insights may be useful.
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 02:12:43 PM »
Thanks Tim, All I would like to see is people go back to their clubs and say how about we do this all the time, all over Aust, Have a tin and donate $1 every time you ride no matter what your club charges.

We as a whole group could make others think about where we are all heading, it is so easy to look the other way and just keep going on, i dont care what groups benifit, but it would be coming from the VMX scene.
There's got to be more in life, other than riding and looking at other blokes bikes that were raced 50 years ago, what have they left behind, tire marks on the concrete, yes great individuals but cant we set our goals higher as a group with the effort of all who race and enjoy VMX.

This is passion for something just like we have with our bikes, but what good we could do as a group!

Cheers Trev, I know i am ranting worms

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 02:57:23 PM »
Just a gold coin at every race meet going to the same cause Australia wide, WOW. this is rocket science ;D

cheers Trev

firko

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 03:17:50 PM »
Good idea Trev.....When I was at the helm at Penrith Club we ran an Amaroo or Dargle meet once a year with the proceeds going to Camp Quality or other worthy recipients. Penrith now has an annual charity dirt track in August that was initiated by Brad Fisher to raise money for cancer research in honour of Les Richters wife Lisa who was tragically taken out by the evil disease. The event is now about 5 years old and this year will benefit the McFarland family as well as other cancer charities.
I fully support your initiative Trev. I don't think a gold coin or even 10 bucks on top of the entry to CD7 or any other event will affect the average vintage punter, most of who have no qualms on spending silly money on old bike parts or on some exotic beer. The spirit that contributed so strongly to Noel Clarke and Magoos causes is still alive. I'm certain of it.

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 03:35:12 PM »
well, all we need to do now is to make it happen! one person from each state puts their hand up to do a bit of leg work.

Cheers Trev,

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 08:07:04 PM »
what a bunch of stunned mullet,

at least Tony,Tim and Firko can see a bigger picture!

I will not waste your time anymore, yes I love my bikes as much as the next fellow but is that all we have to offer?

Trev, so long and thanks for all the fish, worms!

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 08:07:02 AM »
Sorry Worms,
Have I missed something… Nobody said you were wasting anybodies time.

Nobody criticised your idea, so what is the problem.

The idea is the easy part… now comes the work

Back to you,
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 01:47:21 PM »
No point coming back to me, I floated the idea, so far 4 have comented, it was left for anybody to jump onboard to keep it rolling and for people to see merit in the idea, but hey HBBB and then the nationals and then CD7 and then whatever seems more of the conversation, thats cool.

I really dont care about comments on this subject and, if or if not you've missed something, I would rather see some doers, like 1 person from each state say yeah, lets make it happen. I dont need excamples( no offence to anyone) because it is so simple, but to big for 1 person to pull off, so after 400 hits/ lookers i will go back to shed and polish that wheel.

no more comments needed really, just doers.

Cheers Trev

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 02:16:59 PM »
Worms - once you come out of your dungeon - the idea has merit and I don't think there would be a better community for it than this one but it requires more than 1 person per state - more like one person or several per club.  Why don't we approach MA with it - so much easier to include x dollars onto the daily sign up fee.  Haven't heard any reservations to it yet (other than the normal MA fees are too expensive anyway) and could be collected at a State level on a regular basis then.

Just my 2 Bobs worth.  I wouldn't object to a few dollars into the kitty each ride.

Maybe when Dave is available he could comment?

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 05:14:18 PM »
I think that these types of events should be used as a community service with donations going back to those in need.
I floated the idea at HBBB last year there should be bus loads of oldies from nursing homes coming for the day out to catch up with some memories.
I am not sure if it was taken any further but as I have always said-we are the entertainment not the source of the funds. It's ok to pay a bit to ride and cover yourself for injury but to fill the coffers of the promoters is against my wick.