Author Topic: Suzuki RM400N Kickstarter  (Read 1991 times)

Offline Shane401

• Novice
    • View Profile
Suzuki RM400N Kickstarter
« on: July 24, 2016, 03:56:49 PM »
Hi everyone,
I am after a good quality kick starter for my Suzuki RM400N. When I bought the bike the kick starter was worn so I purchased an after market one from my local shop for $45. It turned up and looked exactly the same as original so was happy, until first weekend of using it and it was stuffed! Pivot shaft bent and stop for lever worn!
Okay I got what I paid for, a cheap kick starter.
Been talking to Vintage Suzuki in US and they have them but will probably be over $200 with freight and US dollar conversion.
Has anyone had experience with them or can you steer me in another direction. Am willing to pay $200 if it is a really good quality kick starter.
I owned a brand new RM400N in 1979 for a year and raced or rode it every week and never had a problem back then   :)
Any help would be appreciated.
Shane

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
Re: Suzuki RM400N Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 09:12:47 PM »
G'day Shane, I have a bucket full of kick starters if you put a pic up I'll compare it with what I have & we'll go from there ? Jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline Suzuki Brother

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 07:28:56 AM »
Hi Shane,
Did you find a good S/H one?  If not try Mick Hone motorcycles in Melbourne, I bought a genuine one new from them about 2 yrs ago for $180 and they had it on the shelf.  The Part No is 26300-40401.  If they can't get them any more you could try Suziparts in Adelaide and if that doesn't work you can try Paul Miler Motorcycles in USA.  A tip with Paul Miller, don't bother trying to email him as his spam filter seems to block all emails from Australia, just give him a phonecall on the landline No. on his website.
Good Luck!

Offline Tomas

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 12:22:33 PM »
Sleeved a couple of kickstarters for RM 125. They work well and there is no play. Had to drill out the hole to 16mm and machined the spigot to 14mm. Also had to make a bronze sleeve that is shrink fitted onto the spigot and than machined to correct size. Al you need to do than is drill a small hole for the retaining spring and balls and there you go. Beter than new. Also if the stoppers are worn you just weld them up and file them right to make sure your kickstart dont hit anything when rectracted.I have used stick welder but mig is probably beter. This way you can rebuild them over and over again since the bronze bush is softer it does  not wear out any steel parts.