Author Topic: Lamppu pic  (Read 2084 times)

Offline cappra

• Legend
  • Glendale, Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Southwest Montesa
Lamppu pic
« on: August 13, 2008, 08:16:06 am »
The late great Peter Lamppu on the Works 360 at Carlsbad Ca.

firko

Re: Lamppu pic
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 11:13:21 am »
I remember meeting Pete Lamppu out at Saddleback back when I worked for Mike Goodwin in '76 or '77. He was  past his serious racing days but was still pretty quick. He was doing a Pop Cycle photo shoot on an OSSA Phantom I believe and we were doing publicity photos for the upcoming Anaheim race. There were some Suzuki factory guys testing the new Ribi front end on an RM370 Suzuki and they asked him to do a few laps on it and his second lap was faster than Tony Ds (I think) the day before. He told them he didn't like the feel of it and only did those two laps.
I believe he was originally from Finland and even though he had become very Americanised, he still had the Euro way of doing things. I remember him telling me that he built movie sets at Universal Studios for a living and was appalled by the bad workmanship by some of his fellow "tradesmen".. He told me they wouldn't have held a job for very long in Finland! I guess he found it easy to open up to a fellow "foreigner"! He was a good bloke and I wasn't aware he'd died.

mx250

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 11:54:36 am »
There were some Suzuki factory guys testing the new Ribi front end on an RM370 Suzuki and they asked him to do a few laps on it and his second lap was faster than Tony Ds (I think) the day before. He told them he didn't like the feel of it and only did those two laps.
The Ribi suspension for those interested ;).
http://motorbikearchives.com/Features/Bike-Set-Up/DeCoster-s-New-Suspenders-1979.html

Offline cappra

• Legend
  • Glendale, Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Southwest Montesa
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 08:28:11 am »
Father of the VR.  Kalevi Vehkonen

firko

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 04:50:03 pm »
I think Roger De Costers married to Vekhonens sister or daughter, I can't remember which.

mx250

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 06:41:24 pm »

Notice the subtle 'claim to fame',
"1st European Make in the 1972 Moto Cross World Championship".