Author Topic: FAMOUS PEOPLE  (Read 33302 times)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: FAMOUS PEOPLE
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2012, 09:29:42 PM »
Two years on and still a great laugh....start page one  ;D
Best is in the West !!

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2012, 10:13:12 PM »
I could have never dreamed that I would meet you Allison. J

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2012, 10:42:54 PM »
 :D  you seroiusly have to start another rebuild Jerry  ;D
Best is in the West !!

Offline jerry

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2016, 06:53:08 PM »
Wandering through the supermarket I saw this old bloke who somehow looked familiar sitting on a bench. I said "Are you John Harvey" He replied indeed he was and was surprised I recognised him. I introduced myself and for the next 10 mins we had a great chat about motor racing in the 70's and 80's. An absolute gentleman, so glad I took a chance and said hello. J

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2016, 06:54:12 PM »
Wandering through the supermarket I saw this old bloke who somehow looked familiar sitting on a bench. I said "Are you John Harvey" He replied indeed he was and was surprised I recognised him. I introduced myself and for the next 10 mins we had a great chat about motor racing in the 70's and 80's. An absolute gentleman, so glad I took a chance and said hello. J

great stuff J man, i don't think i would be that observant.

Classic thread you started, i forgot about this one !
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 07:01:06 PM by Hoony »
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2016, 07:40:40 PM »
I was at the heaven glouster round a few weeks back and did some postie bike racing with Geoff Ballard , I had to pinch me self a few times cool will put that down on the resume  ;D
During the day a guy came up to me a few times and we talked I said to my self I've seen this guy some where , found out it was roger Harvey from the vmx mag does the cartoons .
Just forgot these few to ;)
Oldfart
Brent j
Tm bill
John Tate
Had beers with Chris Watson
Chris watsons late father

Had a chat with Jeff cole , c&j honda frames usa
Paul the cheif   newcastle knights .
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 06:40:49 AM by mick25 »

Offline jerry

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2016, 08:27:48 PM »
Thanks Al I must admit it was only running into "Slug" yesterday that made me remember this topic. Reading through it made me realise that some top blokes have dropped off the forum over the last couple of years. I miss their contributions. J

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 13, 2016, 08:27:23 AM »
This might sound corny to some, but the most famous people I've ever met would have to be my parents. They've had a staring roll in my life and never been paid, but have always past expectations.jimson
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 13, 2016, 10:43:54 AM »
Over the year I have meet a lot of people who can be called famous. The ones who I am happy to say that I have meet;

Phil Crump, Ivan Magaur and a whole heap of top international speedway riders from the 70's and 80's when I was an official at Broken Hill Speedway in the early 80's

Phil Lovett, Geoff Ballard, Laurie Alderton and all the other top enduro riders of the late 70's and early 80's, when I rode the first few 4 Day enduros. I still have one of Geoff's old Maico riding jerseys.

Jay Springsteen - 2001 Springfield Mile, I meet him in the pits, and had a nice chat both befor and after the races, a great guy, he gave me a heap of signed bits and pieces which take pride and place in the man cave.

Chris Carr - 2001 Peoria TT, friendly chat while walking through the pits, another great guy.

Mel Gibson, George Miller, Byron Kennedy Dean Semlar - I was an extra in Mad Max 2 back in 1981. (Mel was quite a nice guy back then, and seems to have gone downhill over the years)

Steve Gall, did a Hungry Creek MX school back in 1978, and have since meet and spoken with him often during Tenere Tragic rides over the past few years. I am so please that he remembers me and actual comes up to me for a chat, an absolute gentleman.

I have also meet quite a few Prime Ministers, Opposition Leaders and a few Governors General and State Governors, all while I was serving in the Navy.

Along the way I have found that virtually all of them are real people just like the rest of us. With a few exceptions, over the years I have found that bike people are the nicest, humblest of the "famous"people I have meet.  However, there have been a few sports people who I have meet that  I didn't particularly take to, mostly because there seem to have an attitude of the world owes them everything just because they are good at hitting or kicking a ball.

Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 13, 2016, 10:58:10 AM »
Along the way I have found that virtually all of them are real people just like the rest of us. With a few exceptions, over the years I have found that bike people are the nicest, humblest of the "famous"people I have meet.  However, there have been a few sports people who I have meet that  I didn't particularly take to, mostly because there seem to have an attitude of the world owes them everything just because they are good at hitting or kicking a ball.

Bang on Col, bike folk have no class system evident. We have been lucky in historic roadracing to have had Phil Read and Jim Redman visit and ride, both were only too keen for a few beers and some bench racing with the troops, and neither shirked when it was their round. You could be a C grade tailender and the common bond of bike racing draws everyone together. A bloke beside me in the sports club adjoining the Blacktown Travelodge when we were cranking into it late one evening said, "Bugger me, still can't believe that's Phil Read drinking with us. Can you imagine bloody Greg Norman doing that with the punters ? And he couldn't even start your race bike."
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....