Author Topic: Thread insert in plastic tank  (Read 3391 times)

Offline xel93

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Thread insert in plastic tank
« on: February 10, 2016, 04:53:32 PM »
Hi    I have a plastic IT tank that needs the fuel tap replaced and one of the 2 screws holding the tap in spins without unscrewing.  The metal insert in the plastic tank is spinning around instead.   Do I:

a) put the blowtorch on it so the plastic melts a bit and hopefully binds it in

b) rip it out and put a helicoil in

c) something else

d) all of the above

(there is no fuel or vapours in the tank)

Thanks for any suggestions

Lex

Offline fred99999au

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Thread insert in plastic tank
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 10:01:12 PM »
I dont think I would be hitting it with the blowtorch as they are sealed from the inside of the tank and are usually brass inserts.

I think I would be drilling the screwhead off then removing the tap and trying to figure out the next step from there.

Hold the insert somehow to remove the screw and then fix the thread and plastic weld it back in.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 10:09:40 PM »
fred99999au said exactly what i was going to suggest, drill  head off, get tap out the way then way then work out what to do after that when you can get a good look underneath.

You could also possibly try and drill throught the center of the screw, slowly working your way up in drill bit size till you are just smaller than the ID of the thread, but you will have to work out how deep you can drill it going by the depth of the screw on the other side and mark your drill bit with some masking tape so you don't drill too far. Then you may be left with just the remains of the original screw threads you can try and dig/unscrew out. If it works out as planned the original insert thread will be left intact but you will still need to work out a way to resecure the insert in the plastic again. Worst case scenario is you cant reuse the 2 bolt type tap because of loose inserts, so instead use a Canam rubber bung style fitting & tap or a universal Malcolm Smith type threaded spigot that you insert through the inside of the tank. Both will need drilling outlet hole in plastic to about 1/2". So there is this solution available if things so bad with the original 2 inserts.

A thing like this is for plastic tanks and has a o-ring on inside. You thread it through the filler neck hole on a piece of wire. This particular one uses a 1/8 NPT universal tap that fits the thread on the ID, but you could make a fitting that uses a tap that has a female nut, the same set up as early Suzuki RL, PE RM alloy tanks.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 10:25:30 PM by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 10:11:51 PM »
yeah,what Fred says,don't use the torch!,maybe a loctite product like "wickin" might just locate the insert enough to stop it spinning,theres some serious adhesives out there but getting them in theres the kicker!,wickin just permeates its way in,worth a shot?, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Graham

• A-Grade
  • Fast TT meets Drunks Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 07:04:21 AM »
Have done this before , drill the head off, attach a high speed drill to the remaining thread, spin her up , pull as you go, the plastic will soften and the nut and thread will come out. Leaving a nice hole to set a new nut in place. Have used devcon to bond it back in
Gosh its a shame a slow 4 stroke trail bike can go so Fast !!

Offline xel93

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 07:43:14 AM »
Great - thanks for the tips

regards
Lex