Author Topic: Rego with worn out comp plate?  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Curtis

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • japspec.com.au
Rego with worn out comp plate?
« on: September 21, 2015, 10:30:56 AM »
79 XT500, compliance plate completely illegible. Frame number original. No history of previous reg. Can it be registered again?  :o
Thanks!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: Rego with worn out comp plate?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 12:03:37 PM »
Yes, if:
1. You can find previous rego history (may have to check state-by-state, because only newer stuff is on the nationwide register).

OR

2. You can get Yamaha Aust to send you a letter saying "it was built to meet ADRs".

OR

3. You find a realistic rego inspector who will recognise what's happened and pass it.

The physical compliance plate is NOT the be-all and end-all that they were in the pre-computer network days, although plenty of people are still locked into that thinking.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 01:19:02 PM »
As Nathan said, the key is to have an inspector who is a realist.

My brother has just been through a similar thing in NSW getting historic registration on his 1979 Honda XL250S (he had never had it registered in the 15 years he has owned it). The build date and other info on the Compliance Plate was unreadable. The inspector contacted me as a SME, as he knew that I had worked for a Honda dealer back in the early 1980's. I was able to provide details from my achieve that confirmed the engine and frame numbers were correct for a 1979 model. The info I provided was good enough for the inspector, so passed it for rego.

You might be able to get some similar proof of age through your local Yamaha dealer or even the VJMCC.

Col
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 03:38:14 PM »
Much easier in Victoria where you are Curtis. Write down and  Photograph  the rough compliance plate, frame number and engine numbers. Off to Vicroads (wait around..) and show them your info.  They usually do the computer checks there and then for you. Tim754

The key is the machine is over 35 years old ;)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline Curtis

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • japspec.com.au
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 07:11:08 AM »
Thanks for all the info guys!  :D

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 09:32:22 AM »
Its just like the lads have said. not that difficult.
Recently i got a 77 moto guzzi sorted that had a missing plate with not much drama at all.
Engine number and frame numbers were recorded on the inspection sheet  and the box ticked for  missing plate. This in QLD so the process may be a bit different in other states but it was relatively painless.
First thing to do is talk to your inspection guy as they will know what to do to get it passed.