Author Topic: Spark plug caps  (Read 4017 times)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
Spark plug caps
« on: August 17, 2015, 07:24:17 PM »
Guys - what spark plug cap do I need - resistor or non resistor, slip onto plug cap or slip onto thread type??????

ta

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
Re: Spark plug caps
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 10:00:47 PM »
yes, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 10:12:58 PM »
yeah - good on ya MM  ;D  Very interesting reading I have seen - and now confusing.  I have been told that the older classic bikes don't need resistor type plugs - and therefore resistor type caps.  However PVL (which my bike has) have specific instructions re digital or analog PVLs and recommend plugs to suit - how do I know which one I have?
1974 Yamaha YZ360B

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 06:45:55 AM »
I think i can help you there as i had the same problem... here is an email i sent to Penton who sell the PVL..

Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2015 3:45 AM
To: info@pentonracingproducts.com
Subject: Penton Website Inquiry

Message: Hi, i have the digital PVL for a 83' YZ125. I have the resistor cap installed but also run an Iridium resistor plug (BR9EIX) as its near impossible to get a non-resistor thin wire Iridium. My question is: Do i go back to a non-resistor cap when using a resistor plug with my digital system, or keep using the resistor cap with resistor plug. Regards, Alex Brown

Hello Alex,

Thank you for contacting us.  You want to use a non resistor cap.

Regards,
Bj Penton
Penton Racing Products
(440) 989-4474

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 11:30:38 AM »
thanks Alex - how do I know which PVL I have installed - 74 YZ360?  Also interesting as I do some more chasing that the plug cap I had installed is rated by NGK as a 5 K ohm resistor one (was on the bike) - so maybe for this weekend just replace with an LB05F which is a later type, fits and is also a 5 K ohm

And keep chasing a non resistor type as have non resistor plug and told no need on my bike - but what difference if any will a resistor plug do - no harm to performance?

thanks

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B

Offline micko

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 07:18:22 PM »
This might help,
Power Sport Manufacturers are required to meet noise suppression standards throughout the world.  Spark Plugs alone do not provide enough noise suppression therefore resistor covers were introduced. NGK Resistor Covers are designed to reduce “Electro Magnetic Interference” and “Radio Frequency Interference” which can interfere with electronic ignition components causing misfires and poor engine performance.
RM370A RM250A RM125A RM125S YZ250A YZ125C XR75K4

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 07:53:45 PM »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 08:16:41 PM »
thanks guys - managed to find 2 of the LZFH in all of Perth today so will have one tomorrow  ;D
1974 Yamaha YZ360B

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 09:20:13 PM »
thanks Alex - how do I know which PVL I have installed - 74 YZ360?  Also interesting as I do some more chasing that the plug cap I had installed is rated by NGK as a 5 K ohm resistor one (was on the bike) - so maybe for this weekend just replace with an LB05F which is a later type, fits and is also a 5 K ohm

And keep chasing a non resistor type as have non resistor plug and told no need on my bike - but what difference if any will a resistor plug do - no harm to performance?

thanks

Rossco

Rossco,

Looks like there is only the analogue PVL for your machine, which is 70186 http://www.pentonracingproducts.com/downloads/penton-parts-list.pdf
This does require a non resistor cap.. http://www.pentonracingproducts.com/downloads/PVL_Mounting_Instructions.pdf

The digital PVL needs a resistor as micko states, but not in the plug and cap.  Most plugs are resistor type now, especially the iridium ones, so in order to get a good spark, you need to run the non resistor cap.  I also have to buy a non resistor cap as the one PVL sent is a resistor type and i am already running a resistor iridium plug on my digital PVL.
I used the plug LWC posted up and searched on ebay.. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NGK-LZFH-SPARK-PLUG-CAP-Non-Resistor-Type-10-12-14-mm-Plug-/321737495358?hash=item4ae90c933e
and ordered that one as i am offshore at the moment and it should be waiting for me when i get back.

Cheers,
Alex

Offline chrisdespo

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 12:15:49 PM »
way back in the eigties a customer had purchased a GPZ1100 the first release in australia fuel injection by Bosch fitted std with resistance plug caps the same as Z1 and z1000. the bike was sitting outside the pub and some scumbag pinched the two outside caps. no std caps in stock fitted a set of red Champion caps Bike ran like a Dog with one leg, took two caps off an old 900 and fitted problem solved has always stuck in my mind. i often check the resistance in caps on multi cylinder bikes and have even found a few crook ones on the older trail bikes with way too much resistance, it pays to check these things from time to time. from memory if you screw the plug connector out the little resistor is marked with an OHM rating sometimes even a dirty connection in the cap can cause real problems.
When in DOUBT GAS IT!!!