Author Topic: TS185 1984. Local tip find  (Read 1987 times)

Offline Husk72

• B-Grade
  • Attitude? What effing attitude?
    • View Profile
TS185 1984. Local tip find
« on: May 03, 2015, 09:26:44 AM »
What are these bikes like to ride? in two minds what to do with it.
Missing front wheel, carby inards, side covers, seat buggered.
Motor has compression, forks, and shocks nice. Looks like someone had stored it in a shed or such, as it has no surface rust.
Looking closer at it, is the motor from the seventies ? Air cooled, ancient looking thing, for 1984.
Any information, input appreciated.

Cheers, Mark.
I used to drink a lot.
I still do,but I used to,too.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: TS185 1984. Local tip find
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 09:34:51 AM »
is the motor black? ER or later style? or silver / metallic? that's the early TS color. they are a nice docile bike that do everything a bike from the tip does. a good early ts is 1000 to 1500 or more depending on how good it is. a real survivor 125 went for 1600 a while back. there is a ts forum (google it) and they live and breathe the little bikes. Wheels are easily found and the seats are cheap to recover.

if the mechanicals in the motor are ok its probably worth chasing a wheel and getting her going. ive got a carby for one in the container.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 05:34:08 PM »
If the compliance plate says 84 it could be 84 or 85 model depending on the month it was made, so for sure it will be a 185ER model which first appeared as a 79 model but the reed valve motor in them dates back to the 77 185B but there are some minor differences with 77-78 models compared to the later ones such as porting, carby size etc.  Last silver engine was 75 and non reed valved. My best advice would be to check out http://suzukits.informe.com/forum
Plenty of people with 185's there and it's (185 section) the most popular board out of all the TS capacities..

Pretty much any suzuki front wheel will fit but the ones comming from PE/RM/DR with 180mm fork spacing may require fiddling with axle spacer but any wheel  from pre79 RM/PE with 175mm spaced triples will bolt in no worries. Also DR125 wheel from the 80's will fit no worries at all. There should be no issues finding the exact correct front wheel though as they were all the same up till the 2000's, but if you wanted to go to the bigger 150mm brake it is possible. Suzukis are good, so much stuff is interchangeable.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 05:39:23 PM by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Husk72

• B-Grade
  • Attitude? What effing attitude?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 02:55:17 PM »
Thank you for the replies fellas.
I was going to pass it on, but after reading your posts, and heading to the TS forum, I've had a change of heart.
I will make a thorough inspection of the bike, and check the motor out over the next few days.
Have to shift house starting next weekend, not looking forward to that. Have an IT halfway restored, with wheels removed, waiting on parts. Also a YZ, waiting for forks to be sent back to me.
Three bikes without wheels of sorts, going to be painful getting them onto the ute. New neighbours gunna have a laugh when I roll down the street. ::)
Thanks again.

Cheers, Mark.
I used to drink a lot.
I still do,but I used to,too.