Author Topic: Slider clutch  (Read 2595 times)

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
Slider clutch
« on: September 04, 2014, 06:02:58 PM »
Trying to fit a scandic clutch to an amc box. When pulled up tight it clears swingarm pivot but primary chain hits the arm of the swingarm. Peter at scandic says pull the box apart and put in a "long shaft."
1. How can I tell its a short or long shaft? Can you measure from the drive sprocket locking nut?
2. If a made a 4mm alloy spacer to set it wider, would there be any issues. Speedway motor has sprocket that will self align and I reckon I still have enough room to put the lock nut on. Would probably use flat tab washer and loctite rather than spring?
Pancho, Mick, Curly or Slides to the rescue??????

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
Re: Slider clutch
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 06:34:57 PM »
twins/singles are different lengths,could use a commando main shaft,it's the longest!,clutch locates on a circlip 'stop" on shaft with them,i'll see what lengths i've got,(if i can find them  ::)), :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 06:41:22 PM »
Well bugger me!! I have got the same problem with mine. The chain hits the swingarm  nut.
My brother Steve who did the rebuild reckons that the shaft had been shortened. He is going to
make it 8mm longer to get clearance.
regards  Mark

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 06:53:36 PM »
can you put a bigger engine sprocket on to move the box(chain) forward?,bloody pommys always made it so a 1/2 link came into the equation,(usually without it, too short  ::)) :P

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 08:03:12 PM »
If I move the gearbox fully forward or fully back the chain still strikes the swingarm. Clutch inner shaft protrudes 2" from the end of the drive/sprocket shaft. When I spoke to Peter from Scandic CNC in Brissy today he tells me that it happens heaps of times and depending on frame/ gearbox some have to swap from short to long or vica versa. Wish he had of told me that before I reassembled everything. Says heaps to fit up everything then re strip, paint etc. don't really want to disassemble everything and get someone to redo the gearbox( already done once) that's why I'm a bit keen to use a spline spacer. Hitchcocks in the UK show one for a Burman box but unsure yet if the id is the same.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 09:15:08 PM »
bugger me,found them,ok commando's from slide dog spline (clutch end) to locking threads start shoulder, it's 4"1/8th (luv talking dirty  :D),the other which i think from memories a singles short shaft is 3" 9/16ths" ,you can pull the mainshaft (or dissasemble in situ) leaving most in there,no biggie?, :P
ps should also have that Burman clutch mounting thingy it's off the B52 boxes mainshaft,on the earlier CP's it's part of the mainshaft ,pretty sure they all share the same clutch mounting spline too,(typical, right from sturmy archers  ::))
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 09:20:09 PM by matcho mick »

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 09:52:49 PM »
Thanks Mick , looks like a may need to go searching ebay/ uk for the longer shaft. Normally deal through BJ British bikes in Deeshon St in Brissy, will see if they can help. Are you off to Caberra in a few weeks time?
Ross

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 10:05:27 PM »
nah,doing lakeslide tar nats,same weekend,you could pull your mainshaft out & measure to see what it is, ,although, if i find (& i will) that B52 clutch mount adapter,you could use it (shortened as a spacer to shift clutch outboard some?? coz they both ride up the spline taper to locate/stop,i have sussed that out years ago,but only as something to do,as why would you want to use a burman clutch when an AMC (norton clutch) fits too,a far better,especially non cush drive ones(alternator norton twins/manx)much lighter!!, :P