Author Topic: Rotating devise  (Read 1862 times)

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
Rotating devise
« on: August 15, 2014, 11:32:49 PM »
   Been thinking about how to paint my CZ hubs.  Because it's a complicated procedure using 4 different coloured paints, some of which only need the slightest mist.  I decided that I needed to have the hub rotating, this means the coats could be applied evenly without the chance of to much paint in one place, causing it to be blotchy and then having to be repainted.
  I purchased a small 12 volt motor which was geared down to 30 rpm for around $10 hooked it up to a 12 volt transformer I had in the shed (I think off an old light),  I mounted it inside a metal box, removed from a computer and put a on/off switch on the side.  I then machined up a shaft out of aluminium that is drilled to fit over the 6mm shaft from the motor and with a locking screw, I then put an 8mm thead on the other end.   I had an old turntable off a discarded record player (I seem to keep this type of thing just in case)  I tapped a 8mm thread in it so it fits the shaft and gives me an electric powered turntable.  I can also remove the turntable and make bungs to screw on the top of the shaft to locate and hold whatever job I happen to be painting.
   Zane

« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 11:34:39 PM by FAT-TOY »
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

oldfart

Re: Rotating devise
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 08:20:07 AM »
It's all about thinking outside of the square and using what's available.....   Nice Job  I like it.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 08:58:33 AM »
don't switch it to 78.....there will be parts and paint all over the place ;D :D

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 10:41:12 AM »
Have you ever thought about walking around the job your painting?.....that's how the painters I know do it.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 11:49:49 AM »

And thats how I would normally do it as well.  But these hubs are a bit different to most in that they have to have so many colours blended together to make the correct colour.   Some of them are sprayed from a metre or more away and only a slight dusting any heavier and it's stuffed then I have to start again.  This is why I thought I'd try this method and see how it goes.
                                                           Zane
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 12:43:20 PM »
Thinking outside the square , I can see a chook , a blow torch and that gadget. ;)
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.