Author Topic: Victorian rider down - Fundraiser  (Read 2267 times)

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Victorian rider down - Fundraiser
« on: June 13, 2013, 03:52:38 PM »
Hi all, not strictly VMX related but definitely a situation that we could all find ourselves in.  Victorian rider Mick Mahoney was involved in a bad crash at Frankston MX track a few weeks ago.  Unfortunately Mick was left paralysed from the chest down.  Some of you may know Mick as he's raced a few rounds of VIPER over the past year or so.

Marty Ritchie at Krooztune Suspension has organised a raffle for Mick's fundraiser day at Nunawading MX track on July 6.  The winning entries will be drawn on this day.

If you're interested in a chance to win a CRF50 or a couple of other decent prize packs courtesy of Peter Stevens and Maxima/Steve Cramer Products, go check out the Krooztune website (www.krooztune.com) for ticket info.  All proceeds go to Mick, his wife Sienna and young son Mason to help out with his rehab & ongoing recovery.

Tickets are $20, or $50 for 3.  I've been told there aren't a huge amount of tickets in circulation, so there will be a decent chance of collecting a prize.

Thanks all,
Neil Ritchie

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Victorian rider down - Fundraiser
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 04:36:45 PM »
not good to hear, hope it goes well for mick

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 09:56:09 PM »
Got my ticket .Bad news i have been riding there a bit lately and there has been some bad crashes and injuries lately .Hope this fundraiser gets the support to help Mick out . hilly
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 09:15:59 AM »
This brings up a topic im reasonably interested in and that's the state of MX tracks that can cause this type of injury.

with no knowledge of the incident, I have jumped in boots and all. I can only assume he messed a jump and cartwheeled, he could have run out of juice and been t boned I don't know but im sure he and the family have been devastated by the event and their life changed for ever...

This incident type seems to be just constantly occurring and breaks all the simple risk reward ratios. a young guy at Bendigo recently broke his pelvis and leg and he has quit the sport! another guy I know has had a couple of shocking "knockouts " and he has quit on medical advice.

the chance of a mega stack is low but when it happens, the consequences are huge. if this was a work site it would be shut down.
do mx tracks need the big bumps to be fun?
They are spectacular to watch, no doubt about it.
would crowds go away if there wasn't huuuge jumps?

a bunch of us rode a nat terrain event and it was fun! there was a big roll up of all riding abilities.

What do other people think?

apologies to hijack thread, maybe start a newwy?? this isn't helping Mick sell tickets ;D

Offline topari

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 09:50:26 AM »
This brings up a topic im reasonably interested in and that's the state of MX tracks that can cause this type of injury.
What do other people think?

Perhaps a new thread. Modern MX is more a blood sport than motor sport. IMO - no doubles triples or stutters, small table tops only the size which allows you to see the other side on approach. And guess what... the best riders will still be the fastest.  Nunawading was awful. Dominated by soccer dad types who designed the tracks to suit the ambitions of their so so talented off-spring. At one period, an ambulance was called ever week for months. Should have been closed down.
topari

1979 IT400F, 1984 kdx200

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 11:16:40 AM »
I mostly agree with Tom, although the Maitland track showed that doubles aren't inherently dangerous.

It's a reoccurring theme though: tracks get built to suit the Reed wannabes, and people get hurt, and then competitors stay away. The ACT club went down this path a few years ago, and it hurt the club quite badly - the track was fixed years ago, but I don't think the damage to the club is fully repaired yet.

I don't know wha the long term solution is - how to stop the powers that be from getting over-excited and making tracks too dangerous for the punters.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 11:59:06 AM »
Go here http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=29600.0 for discussion on tracks.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Billet YZ

• Legend
  • Melton Victoria.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 10:48:43 PM »
Hi all, not strictly VMX related but definitely a situation that we could all find ourselves in.  Victorian rider Mick Mahoney was involved in a bad crash at Frankston MX track a few weeks ago.  Unfortunately Mick was left paralysed from the chest down.  Some of you may know Mick as he's raced a few rounds of VIPER over the past year or so.

Marty Ritchie at Krooztune Suspension has organised a raffle for Mick's fundraiser day at Nunawading MX track on July 6.  The winning entries will be drawn on this day.

If you're interested in a chance to win a CRF50 or a couple of other decent prize packs courtesy of Peter Stevens and Maxima/Steve Cramer Products, go check out the Krooztune website (www.krooztune.com) for ticket info.  All proceeds go to Mick, his wife Sienna and young son Mason to help out with his rehab & ongoing recovery.

Tickets are $20, or $50 for 3.  I've been told there aren't a huge amount of tickets in circulation, so there will be a decent chance of collecting a prize.

Thanks all,

Neil Ritchie

Any updates on how Mick is going and how the ride day went on the 6th July.    Peter.
YAMAHA  you know you want one !!!  Viper #50