Author Topic: Vic Rec Rego for a South Aussie?  (Read 879 times)

Tony T

Vic Rec Rego for a South Aussie?
« on: January 22, 2013, 06:46:55 PM »
I was talking to the SA rego department today about getting my '75 Ossa Explorer registered and the simple answer was that because it had no compliance plate and no rego history, it couldn't happen without a LOT of expense.  >:( 

So I'm wondering whether Vic Rec Rego might be a possible answer as I need to be able to access public roads occasionally on it ?
Can someone let me know what the prerequisites are?
Can the bike be ridden on SA roads under this system?

Any words of wisdom much appreciated.

Offline Viper79

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Vic Rec Rego for a South Aussie?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 06:55:44 PM »
Easy!  Club red plate rego....  You can get a 45 day or a 90 day permit.
You just fill out the log book before you leave home and away you go..

This is not rec rego its the red plate club permit for classic and historic cars and bikes, you can go anywhere with it.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/PermitsModificationsAndDefects/OtherPermits/ClubPermits.htm
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 07:01:23 PM by Viper79 »
QA50 KO, XR75 K5 Race bike from VMBA days, XR400R1, CRF450R3, RM400T, DR650SE with off road adventure mods, MX360A, YZ400D, YZ465H, IT250H, 1985 Jawa 897 Slider, 2016 Jawa/GM Slider

EBT

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 06:58:20 PM »
I rang the SA police last week about using vic rec rego in SA and there answer was a 100% no it can not be used anywhere in SA so club rego is your friend I guess.

Cheers Mick.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 07:03:22 PM by EBT »

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 07:38:21 PM »
SA has a Historic Registration scheme which allow up to 90 day of use, with a log book recording usage, and the Ossa would qualify for rego under this scheme.

However to get a vehicle registed through the scheme, you have to be a financial member of a register (with the Federation) club and the vehicle must meet certian criteria in regards to originallity. Many of the federation and government is make the clubs clamp down on membership requirements and vehicle usage patterns, i.e in many clubs you are required to attend a minimum number of club meetings/events each year to maintain your membership, and there are moves afoot to clamp down on vehicle usage. This has come about due to people joining clubs to gain access to historic rego, which is quite cheap (my 1978 SR500 cost me $300 to register for 3 years), and never having any real contact with the club and using the vehicles they have on historic registration as daily drives.

Historic rego aside, I have never had any problems getting any of my bikes registered here in SA, may be it is because I live in a country area and don't deal with Regency Park. I have the vehicle ID/stolen vehicle checks done at the local Clare police stn, and sent my paperwork off in the mail to the rego office in Kadina. A week later I generally get my plates and papers via return mail. When I have delt with the rego people in Kadina in person they have been far more helpfull than the staff at Regency Park, one guy has even offered to help me by going back through the old michrofich system so that I can keep the original rego number that was issued for my 1972 Yamaha AT125 (it was only registerd for the one year in 1972)

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Tony T

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 08:01:50 PM »
Thanks folks,
I've got a couple of cars on Historic Rego and it is an option, but I was hoping for something simpler.
Plus, I'm not confident about how original the Ossa will end up being. Not sure what the bike club guys are like, but with my cars, the inspector questioned the seat covers and the fact that one had a CD player in it.  ::)

I think I've got an easy solution now thanks to a forum member......  ;)

Thanks again, folks.  ;D

Tony T

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 03:15:26 PM »
In case anyone is interested, I just spoke to a different bloke at the SA rego department and was given a completely different story.
He's telling me that to get a bike without a compliance plate fitted and no rego history is as simple as checking that it's not stolen and paying the money!  ;D

We'll see........  :-\

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 06:10:42 PM »
My nephew rego'd for a pre compliance , no indicator model K1 SL70 Tony and it followed your above mentioned path. He did have to produce the bike and some if any pamphlets/  literature from the era for an inspection, but made sure not at Regency Park HQ ;)
He has since fitted a small neat traffic indicator set and cruises the Adelaide Hills now and then. (we don't get along at all.. >:(.)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.