Author Topic: Primary chain gaurd  (Read 3500 times)

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
Primary chain gaurd
« on: September 29, 2011, 12:56:32 pm »
Can somone enlighten me to the rules regarding primary chain covers. The original on my longtracker covers the front sprocket and chain (top and bottom) to the clutch. Can you still run with these? or do I need to also cover the cluth sprocket area as well? Would prefer to run the original as it is a hard black plastic that doesn't show scratches, if placing foot on left footrest.
Rosco86

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Primary chain gaurd
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 02:18:18 pm »
Can somone enlighten me to the rules regarding primary chain covers.

These new 2012 rules are so simple,I couldn't have done better myself.  ;)   ;D  ;D
http://www.ma.org.au/fileadmin/user_upload/Documents/Reports___Minutes/2011/80010641_Final__CMX_Minutes_July_11_MA_Board.pdf
Best is in the West !!

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 04:50:24 pm »
I use the full one that goes around both drives, but the clutch face hub plate is open with a circle whole section.  ( you know the speedway type).  IM prity sure the ruling is the area between the 2 sprockets needs to be enclosed or covered. 

The outside area is not nessarily a requirement.  I know VIC are prity big on the ones your talking about butting up to the clutch in the 180 -360 degree spot so no fingers etc can touch the secondry chain. 

IF its close to the clutch wheel and yopu cant see teeth in the inside section of the clutch, then you should be OK if there is a gap in there then id try to fill it somehow with a cover piece.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 04:53:48 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 04:51:40 pm »
Hi Allison, doesn't really help with sliders as the countershaft sprocket sits behind the clutch and is therfore covered. Modern spedway covers encircle the outer edge of the clutch but are clear for access to adjust clutch springs, half inch of fiberglass/plastic surrounding clutch sprocket won't protect too much, but laws may require it?????

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 05:02:25 pm »
Hey Freaky, can easily use either but I tend to colour match the cover to guards etc and steel shoe scratches the hell out of it. Vics top and bottom laws would make an original jawa guard (pre 70) illegal as it curves from the motor sprocket and covers only the top all the way through to thecluch sprocket, obviously working on the idea that the foot movement to the ground needed protecting. Luv the rules about possibly putting a finger in he primary chain area. (If they are that silly they should be kept well away from bikes) having caught my right foot in the rear wheel in a get off (and subsequent pins, screws and bone grafts) I'll focus more on the rear frame/sprocket chain guard.
Rosco

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 05:06:36 pm »
you will be oK to use the speedway style cover if thats what your asking Rosco, so long as the internal side covers the front sprocket and the front section of the ring gear on the clutch hub.  mAybe post your up and we can see what you have.

You also need to have the rear lower section of the frame/ wheel covered under the axles where it feeds onto the chain.

heres my old girl, shitty picture but you can see both and this was taken at mildura, vic so its all good.   Some of the guys cut the tail section off from the 20 to 160 degree mark on the outer right hand side of the clutch surround to mirror the early  steel ones which i still see used.

Basically You really need to enclose from fingers the section INSIDE of the primary chain.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 05:18:25 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Curly3

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 05:18:28 pm »
G'day Roscoe, Freaky pretty much covered your question
A standard speedway guard, with pressure plate open will be okay.
One thing you "Really" need to add to that is a safety bolt, mounted to the engine plates at the bottom R/H corner off the clutch and sticking out far enough to actually catch the primary chain if it lets go.
I've seen the results of a primary chain letting go on the start line and whipping up and catching the rider from the butt cheek and along the thigh, it aint pretty.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 05:27:32 pm »
oops yet forgot about that, yep if you dont have one in that quadrant, its a rule to hae one in there, just stuff a 10mm bolt in the engine plates with a nut on the back and your be fine.  or use it to mount your covers off  :D
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Curly3

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 05:46:10 pm »
Another question.
Do you need to fit an oil catch tank to these old girl's?

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 10:21:24 pm »
Will definetly put in the bolt for the primary chain. As it is a longtracker I'm converting back to a dirt-tracker/short circuit bike I'll extend a guard off the chain guide. Interested also in the oil catch tank as my 2 valve is the next to hit the resto bench.
Rosco