Author Topic: dennis king passed away  (Read 2550 times)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
dennis king passed away
« on: October 28, 2011, 12:49:35 PM »
from nepean facebook
It is with great sadness that I pass on the news that Dennis King the long time curator of the Nepean Raceway has passed away after a battle with illness. Dennis was from the old school and is as tough as they come and the Nepean Raceway would not be what it is today with out him. Our condolances go out to his family

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
Re: dennis king passed away
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 02:05:55 PM »
I never new the man but can only say that these types of guys are getting thinner and thinner on the ground. All the old clubs had a stalwart and we are poorer without them.
I hope they give him a cloud close enough to Napean so he can at least get to watch every now and then.

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2011, 03:13:32 PM »
Well how about tha eh, Dennis was a good fellow. i reckon he was about 80 or so and he was racing around nepean when i saw him last year. He would turn up to nepean with the old F100, an old slider or two and also pretty handy on the grader - we used to give him a hand unloading his bikes. Sorry to hear that - he will be missed at nepean
R. I. P. Dennis (Race In Peace)
Brett
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 03:18:30 PM by oldyzman »
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 03:35:48 PM »
Denis was a great old fella, as much a part of Nepean as the dirt itself. If he wasn't doing pre race preparation with his earthmoving tackle, he was racing there on many of his pristine collection. Denis has had cancer for quite a while but you wouldn't have known unless you noticed that he was walking a tad slower than normal or that he'd dropped a kilo or two. He rarely spoke about it at all. In fact he was racing his Cole Elstar slider and BSA Gold Star only a month or so ago. 

Farewell old mate. ;)
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Curly3

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 08:54:40 PM »
So many of us have enjoyed the benefits of his time & dedication to Dirt Track.
I only met him just recently and this is a very sad loss.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 09:28:58 PM »
EA and I were saddened to hear of Dennis's passing, he was an absolute gentleman, he rode at Sapphire Speedway with Lenny Anderson a couple of times and we had a good yarn with them around the fire, Nepean won't be the same without #26.
RIP Dennis

Foss and EA

number 87

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2011, 02:18:01 PM »
Sad to hear, Kingy did a shit load for Nepean, certainly one of the people that has kept Nepean heart pumping.

Condolences to his family.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2011, 05:48:08 PM »
 Another great bloke bites the dust. An underated rider in the old days. I only got to know him in the last few years and will feel Nepean racedays will not be quite the same without him. I felt a strong conection with Dennis on race days as we would both have been 74 in Nov- Dec. this year, I will specially miss the times when Dennis and I would have our own 'match race' when only the two of us were left on sliders on the day. 3 cheers for a good bloke.
 pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline Dono113

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 08:05:11 AM »
Very sad news to hear, I only got to meet Denis back in July at Nepean meet, had a jak to him and his son, gave him a hand with his old BSA. He was still keen as mustard to get out and bump elbows. You would not have thought for a minute he was crook, but he struck me as abloke that would soldier on no matter what anyway.
Hope the dirt is flying off ya Denis where ever you are mate.
RIP # 26
1983 CR125R
2003 CRF450R
CB750K1
2005 YZ85
1969 TS 250

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 09:57:57 AM »
Very sad news.

Dennis was always a hard charger and a gentleman in the true sense. He will be sadly missed.

RIP Kingy.