Author Topic: Catalina Grand Prix kicks off ...  (Read 1064 times)

Doggy Digger

Catalina Grand Prix kicks off ...
« on: November 24, 2010, 11:27:06 pm »
Catalina Island's bike race is back on.   I think it has been 50 years or so since it was run.  Triumph twins often won it, under riders such as Ekins and Chuck Minnert.

Shipping of race bikes from Calif start this Sunday 28th, and race weekend is 3,4 and 5 December.

You can download the riders list from official website.   I saw Pastrana, Pingree, Kurt Nicol and Rick Johnson listed for the pro race.

Older riders include Scott Burnworth, Preston Petty, Terry Pratt, AC Bakken and Jim O'Neal.

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
Re: Catalina Grand Prix kicks off ...
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 05:51:27 pm »
I bet they don't run the sidecars in with the solos like in the 'ol days. yeehaa.

TooFastTim

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 06:05:08 pm »
First Elsinore is revived, next Catalina. Great stuff.

Doggy Digger

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 12:43:52 pm »
Just imagine riding that thing, back in the day.

Traveling over by boat.

Startline in the main street by the wharf.   

Oceanside cafes ... main street turned into a drag strip.

Up into the hills ... past cactus trees ... fanging along on a Triumph 650 twin.   

God knows it must have been a blast!

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 04:59:29 pm »
Yeah Doggy I reckon. [and not an expansion chamber in sight/earshot! cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

firko

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 05:54:04 pm »
Travel story #977.
While living in Long Beach California around 1980 I used to do some TIG welding for a Pom born yacht importer/builder and every time he was commissioning a new boat he'd sail it to Catalina and motor back (or visa versa depending on conditions) and I often went along for the ride. The trips usually involved an overnight stay that often involved a lot of Avalon* bar hopping. On one of those piss ups we got into a session in a bar called Davy Jones Locker with a bunch of Poms, one of which looked very familiar but I couldn't put my finger on it. At one stage during the evening I found my self in the toilet having a slash next to the vaguely familiar little Brit. Curiosity got the better of me so I before long I found myself asking the big question...."Mate, you look familiar, have we met somewhere before"? He answered "Nah, I don't think so but maybe you've seen me on the telly" as he winked and accompanied me back to the bar. Once back I sided up to my mate and asked who the familiar little bloke was. His reply floored me...."Oh, you mean Davy, He used to be in the Monkees a few years ago, this is his bar". He was a nice little bloke too, had a bit to do with Santa Monica Rugby Club as well. Not once in the whole evening did he talk about his showbiz 'other life', quite happy to talk sport and other boyo stuff. I wonder if he still lives there?

Sorry for the sidetrack but I've got a very soft spot for Catalina. On a clear day I could see it on the horizon from my living room window. It's a very cool place and I'd love to be there for the next Catalina race. It'll be one big party. ;D.
*(Avalon is the main village on the island)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 05:56:43 pm by firko »

TT

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 06:48:35 pm »
as he winked and accompanied me back to the bar.

At least it wasn't 'back to his room'............. was it???...............  :P