Author Topic: A new Ducati for OZ  (Read 4424 times)

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
A new Ducati for OZ
« on: December 26, 2009, 11:26:45 PM »

A Cheney Duke in OZ soon

This one is on it's way (well on it's way into a container anyway!!!) - 200415757205

Best looking R/T variant I can think of but still wary of second gear ??????????????? And decibels ????????????????

All being well should have it by March of '10

Dave Mac  :)
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) vapourblasting@yahoo.com.au

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

firko

Re: A new Ducati for OZ
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 12:09:29 PM »
Daves new Ducati was owned by a friend to some of us, Leon Roach form Huntington Beach, California. Leon's pretty well known in SoCal vintage circles and ironically  I bought my first Hindall from him in when he had attempted to fit the 450 Ducati engine to it but discovered that he'd have had to chop it around too much. Not wanting to destroy a rare bit of gear, he sold it to me and bought the Cheney instead. Ten years later Leon heard through the grapevine that the  swingarm on my Cheney Yamaha project was almost beyond use and having replaced the slightly tweaked arm on his own Cheney, sent me his original for no charge. Straightening it took only 10 minutes in the press and it now has pride of place on my own Cheney.

Leon recently lost his son in a tragic pole vault accident which probably prompted the sale of his pride and joy.
             http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2009/09/07/2009-09-07_college_pole_vaulter_.html

Prior to his sons death, Leon, his three sons and a friend rode 5 fully restore 66/67 BSA B44 Victors from the bottom of Baja Mexico to the Canadian border following the Continental Divide, using mostly off road trails and back roads, avoiding civilisation as much as possible. The 2800 mile journey took in Mexico, New Mexico, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana and Canada. The team and the old Beezas survived the journey intact and . It was planned for me to write a piece for VMX on the journey using Leons photos but the death of Leon junior has obviously shifted the families priorities.

I realise it's a bit late but I wish Leon and Mary Ann Roach my condolences for their sad loss.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 12:11:42 PM by firko »

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 01:46:02 PM »
Then there's this :o ??? ???
The Swvm though the tree's! http://youtu.be/4h6BbasT16I
Metalink Conondale vinduro sprint. May 19/20 2018    
www.metalink.net.au  Bike trailers & Canopies

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 01:47:21 PM »
Now that is nice!!
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

firko

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 03:28:08 PM »
Or this...Jonathon Houstons 'Team Wog' very trick Ducati 450MX, pictured at the '09 Show'n'Shine.

Or mine.....

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 02:23:23 AM »
The 450 Ducati with red and white tank lives in Italy.  My mate owns it and I have ridden it.  Looks good, goes even better.  He ran a GP team in the 80s and is a dirt bike nutter.  He knows how to set up a bike that is for sure.  Suspension and carburation are his 'thing' and the results speak for themselves.  It is really well set up and handles beautifully.  It is forsale and he'll ship to Oz.

Form an orderly que.....

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 10:58:08 AM »
The Cheney is well an truly here so it's going to work with me this Sunday along with a couple of tubes of polish to make the nickel shine brightly again. If anyone knows of a set of 450 Ducati cases in good shape please let me know as the back of the cases on my new bike are crap - it appears the kickstart pawl pin has been smashed out and then re-welded (not pretty for such a cool bike and would like to tidy it up)

Dave Mac  ;)
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) vapourblasting@yahoo.com.au

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline k2000x

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 08:13:47 PM »
the cases are soft as butter...theres a guy in town that bumped up the comp on a road bike version and it pulled the studs right out after a a few 100 k's