Author Topic: Fathers Day Present  (Read 3597 times)

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
Fathers Day Present
« on: September 07, 2015, 09:35:23 PM »

My kids have finally worked out that at my age I already have most of the normal things that you would expect to get on fathers day.  So most of the gifts for the last few years are still just stacked in the spare room and they will probably have to get rid of them when I end up on the wrong side of the grass.
     This year they all gave me cash to put toward something that I want or need, great idea.  I have decided to get a new welding helmet.  The last couple I have had were the cheaper auto darkening type for around $40 to $50 and they are ok for a while but then they gradually become harder to see through and eventually you're just welding from memory and hope to finish where you wanted or at least close and not 1/2 inch offline with a weld that needs to be corrected with a grinder.
    I have been looking at Bossweld range costing between $100 and $250.    Anyone used these and able to give me some feedback.  The difference between the cheaper and the more expensive seems to be the size of the viewing lens with the bigger ones having a 105 x 93 lens.
    I purchased my first welder back in 1966, so I have been welding for almost 50 years and most times you can tell a good weld just by the sound of the welder, but without being able to see it clearly can still end up untidy and I hate that.
                                                 Zane
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline Butcher

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Fathers Day Present
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 12:50:14 PM »
The better helmets will adjust the darkness. I thought the helmets played tricks on me, I refused to accept that I needed glasses.
Good helmet, wear the glasses and welding was fun again for me

Offline chrisdespo

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 10:15:17 AM »
i got a new helmet the other day cost me a fair wedge but works great and as an added bonus you can clip a magnifying lens is the back side much better than wearing my glasses as i just couldn't weld in them.. i cant think of the make but its a green and gold aussie one about $375 from memory but i have spent about that on cheapies over the last couple of years. just got all new lens covers for this one as well. 8)
When in DOUBT GAS IT!!!

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 02:42:22 PM »
So the boss weld ones are pretty lightweight and comfortable for me, but I sprung the extra few bucks and went for the weldclass.

The result is a bit heavier..... but,

more adjustability,

internal controls which are not as easy to misadjust when you don and remove the helmet (controls are all in the lens assy) and

a nicer field of view in my opinion.

Plus the batteries are easier to change and access.

I am sure the Bossweld would be OK, but you need to try a few on to see if they suit you.

The Weldclass is great to view through in my opinion.
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline chrisdespo

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 10:33:18 AM »
Weldclass thats the helmet i bought you can get magniying lenses for the clip straight in. I'm running a 2X mag lens best thing ever
When in DOUBT GAS IT!!!

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 11:59:21 AM »

Well I have bitten the bullet and got myself a Bossweld helmet with the larger 100mm x 67mm lens.  It's comfortable, nice and light, adjustable lens and it also has grinding mode which I probably won't use.  I have used it a couple of times now and no complaints.  It also stays up when it's supposed to, my old helmet was forever falling forward.  It seems to be a good thing and at a good price, last one in stock reduced to $100 with free postage.  Only time will tell.
                                                                                      Zane
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 09:50:32 PM »
I got a r**t and a pair of slippers for fathers day..

both two sizes too big!

Offline Krikey

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 11:40:29 PM »
I got a r**t and a pair of slippers for fathers day..

both two sizes too big!

LOL :)

I got a hydraulic bike lift .. I love it  :)

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 03:58:49 PM »
hydraulic bike lift!! you lucky basket!