Author Topic: Bitten by the bug  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Bitten

• B-Grade
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
Bitten by the bug
« on: April 19, 2010, 05:46:18 PM »
Hi All,

I have got back into riding about a year ago after a 20 year hiatus and have been well and truly bitten!

I am currently riding a '05 KTM 450 and love it but I have this nagging itch to buy and restore the bike I held on a pedestal when I was a kid, the mighty RM465 (81/82). Whilst only a modest mechanic, I am starting to do some homework to scope out the challenge and found OzVMX. I trawled through the forums for hours and am in awe of your passion and collective know how. Hopefully I can learn from you all as I go.

Couple of quick questions;
1. Whats the X or Z like in general for sourcing parts - good / bad or diabolical?
2. Whats Dead Dog racing like to source the bike - Ideally I want something that at least starts and is more or less complete

I am based in Sydney's north and would be interested in any clubs to do some racing (modest mechanic / even modester racer!)

Cheers
Bowie
The best of both worlds! - '82 RM465Z & '10 KTM 530 EXC

mainline

Re: Bitten by the bug
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 05:57:30 PM »
g'day there mate,

I'm in the same boat, sort-of. That is, I had twenty years off MX, and came back into it a year ago.

The first QVMX meet I went to for a look was enough to hook me.

I'm not a Suzuki expert but I don't think you'd have any problems finding parts for that model. There is virtually nothing that can't be found via the internet these days. I ended up finding the long sought after airfilter frame for my YZ125 in a Yorkshire bike wreckers.

DDR have a reputation for bikes at the expensive end of the spectrum. I don't know what they're like mechanically, I get the impression they give them a once over, check compression etc, but basically they're "as imported".

I personally would either buy a bike that someone is racing at present and you know works, or build one up yourself. It can be a false economy to buy a running bike and then have to start replacing all the parts that were at the end of their lifespan when you bought it. At least if you build it yourself you know the bike from top to bottom, and it's a bloody great feeling to start it up for the first time when it was once a pile of bits.

suzuki43

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 07:36:40 PM »
Welcome Bowie,
Mate you have impeccable taste in motorcycles.
The 1981-82 RM 465 is great to get parts for the RM500 is  a lot harder.
I recommend Mick Hone suzuki  in Melbourne for genuine Suzuki parts,theRM 465Z 1982 seems to have  a more robust gearbox and rods are still available along with 99% of engine parts plastic etc.
Good luck mate and welcome to VMX.
Cheers
Craig

firko

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 07:55:19 PM »
Bitten, Welcome aboard. The Suzuki population on this forum is especially clever so you're in the right place. I found this ad on the Swapmeet today....a cheap engine. Too many spare engines just ain't enough in this sport. ;D
http://www.vintagemx.us/cgi-bin/swapmeet.cgi][url]http://www.vintagemx.us/cgi-bin/swapmeet.cgi
[/url]
FOR SALE
Ad # 3151853 April 18, 2010

suzuki rm465 core motor. i believe it is a 81, is missing head, and piston. decent cases, is a little dirty from sitting. $200 1976 elsinore cr250 bottom end, crank shot, great tranny upgrade for your 73-74.$150. cylinders 77 cr125, 79 yz250,77 rm125 $20-40 each. early rm100 complete bottomend $125. also a bit dirty, 1980 cr80 core motor, no piston, head, $75. all items plus shipping.      Rick Hinchliff
Phoenix, AZ
Phone: (623) 853-0544 | Email
Registered Since 11/25/2004 | 137 Posts

Offline Bitten

• B-Grade
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 10:07:21 AM »
Thanks lads,

The more I search the more I find!

I agree mainline that DDR look expensive, you see far cheaper stuff in the US but arranging shipping for an entire bike looked a bit daunting, I saw a string on OZVMX about using bjays so I may look into that a bit more - I did have a laugh at the forum string between you Firko, Freakshow reagrding Maicojames in the US. By the way I Just put vintagemx.us on the favourites list, thanks.

Thanks again and lets see where this takes me!

Cheers

Bowie
The best of both worlds! - '82 RM465Z & '10 KTM 530 EXC

firko

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 10:53:35 AM »
Thanks Bowie....Yeah Freaky and I used to get into it a bit but we get along just fine these days. Ironically I don't remember the situation you're referring to regarding James which shows is how unimportant and dumb such shitfights are. All they achieve is to create entertainment for the cyber voyeurs who get their rocks off on this stuff. I only wish a couple of other forum bullies and antagonists would get the message and know when 'enough is enough'.

Don't be daunted by buying from the USA. At first it's a bit intimidating but once you've got the process sorted it's a piece of piss and saves you a shitload of money. RM465s are pretty rare in general but you've got a better chance of finding one in good nick and for a seriously lower price from the US that a locally sourced bike. Keep an eye on the Swapmeet for good bike deals. More times than not you'll get a better deal than on eBay.