Author Topic: Who's who of Speedway past  (Read 91029 times)

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
Re: Who's who of Speedway past
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2011, 03:17:50 PM »
A bit of history from Speedways past.
Legend has it that Lionel Van Praag the winner of the first World Championship hel in 1936 was actually riding a Biggun.
Australian Speedway historian Steve Magro relayed this story recently on a worldwide speedway history chat group and was persecuted relentlessly.
The story is that legendary engine builder, Charlie Ogden and a few others lifted Lionels winning bike over the fence, through the granstand and out of Wembly Stadium before it could be measured.
I'm sure in those days Lionel wouldn't have been the only one bending the rules.
Charlies workshop was not far from where I grew up in Campsie Syd.
My father was a good friend of Charlies and we were regullarly at his workshop and my eldest brother Carl remembers this story coming from Charlie himself.

that's an interesting one indeed.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

firko

« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2011, 04:59:03 PM »
A bit of history from Speedways past.
Legend has it that Lionel Van Praag the winner of the first World Championship hel in 1936 was actually riding a Biggun.
Australian Speedway historian Steve Magro relayed this story recently on a worldwide speedway history chat group and was persecuted relentlessly.
The story is that legendary engine builder, Charlie Ogden and a few others lifted Lionels winning bike over the fence, through the granstand and out of Wembly Stadium before it could be measured.
I'm sure in those days Lionel wouldn't have been the only one bending the rules.
Charlies workshop was not far from where I grew up in Campsie Syd.
My father was a good friend of Charlies and we were regullarly at his workshop and my eldest brother Carl remembers this story coming from Charlie himself.
That's an interesting yarn but not the least surprising. I can remember sitting in on a conversation between John Langfield, Jim Airey and Cec Platt in the officials box after a Bathurst Long Track meeting where Langy and Airey were talking up the different power characteristics of a 'big 'un' and a legal engine around the Sydney Showground. To quote Langy...."we all did it back then".

Sliderulz...next time I see you remind me to tell you the hilarious yarn regarding Steve Magro, his wheelchair, a plank 'grandstand' at the Bathurst Long Track and a very pissed Mick Wilde. There's a bit too much swearing to tell the yarn in print..it's one of those stories that has to be told verbally for full effect. Let's just say that Magro found Micks breaking point that night ;D

Curly3

« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2011, 06:48:12 PM »
To an extent I can understand why Steve Magro was attacked for mentioning this story. It does detract from Lionels achievements, not unlike finding out that Olympic champions were using drugs but you still need to be able to ride the thing and as I said, he wouldn't have been the only one.
Any story involving Wild Mick would be a ripper I'm sure and I look forward to hearing it Mark.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2011, 12:10:55 AM »
A 1967 Champ in Ray Owens  8)
Best is in the West !!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2011, 04:15:10 PM »
Speedway is a very interesting sport and there is a wealth of books out there on the subject. i reckon it is probably one of the most documented disciplines of motorcycle racing.

Your not wrong there..counted over 100 books on speedway via the bookdepository uk..and my remaining years wont allow me that much reading time.  :P
Wonder if they come in audio..be good for the nulabor Nats trip  ;D
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2011, 07:42:44 PM »
A 1967 Champ in Ray Owens  8)

and this weekend just gone,a few Legends where cruising around at Tamborne Qld  8)  8) Thanks to Bert for pic !!

Best is in the West !!

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2011, 08:38:10 PM »
is that Ray on the throttle?!!!?

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2011, 09:09:59 PM »
is that Ray on the throttle?!!!?

Yes, do you know any info on the bike under the quick shade tent ??
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2011, 10:45:16 PM »
looks prewar triumph tiger 70 ish,(green plates), :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2011, 07:50:50 PM »
Sorry mate ,can't help out with the bike, but I've known Ray since i was a kid.  He had shitloads of bikes but i don't know if he still has them all.  I have Ray on film racing that grasstracker at Cambellfield Vic. in the '60's.  regards,  Mark

Curly3

« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2011, 08:27:17 PM »
Can you put it on disc Mark?

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 24, 2011, 08:40:10 PM »
Slides, Got it. check what i just put on the images forum.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2011, 03:32:58 PM »
Close to the money, there, Mick. The article accompanying this photo mentions the earlier Triumph 250cc Val Page model # L 2/1

Photo from OBA #18
Foss

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2011, 05:54:42 PM »
 Talking about Val Pages efforts, I had a Tiger 70-Carey engine in a 3t frame, it was the most astounding 250 I had ever ridden. Unfortunately the thing was totally worn out and I'm ashamed to say I didn't rebuild the thing and use it instead of selling it to [I forget who] The thing was very fast and would accelerate with 500s.
 Wish I had it back! cheers pancho
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2011, 08:39:22 AM »
Close to the money, there, Mick. The article accompanying this photo mentions the earlier Triumph 250cc Val Page model # L 2/1
Photo from OBA #18
Foss

Thanks Foss,was it Rays signature to have the number nose cone on his bikes or a common part of bikes,back in the day ? I dont see too many on others !
cheers A
Best is in the West !!