Author Topic: For sale or what?  (Read 7175 times)

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
For sale or what?
« on: April 28, 2012, 04:50:11 PM »
Call me cranky but how can anything be "for sale" without a price? Seems to be a lot of listings like this recently and you can't expect potential buyers to be the buyer & the seller at the same time. If it doesn't have a price, it's not for sale IMO.
K

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
Re: For sale or what?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 05:04:13 PM »
I agree Michael,

Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 05:08:36 PM »
I'd have to agree with that.. If it doesn't have a price i move on to the next item that does. The seller needs to make it as easy as possible for a buyer and by not having a price he's sending me a message that it's either very expensive or he's not easy to deal with.

Simo63

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 05:19:38 PM »
I'd have to agree with that.. If it doesn't have a price i move on to the next item that does. The seller needs to make it as easy as possible for a buyer and by not having a price he's sending me a message that it's either very expensive or he's not easy to deal with.

Spot on.  I usually find the seller is "scared" to put the price in because they have doubts over whether it's on the money .. pardon the pun  ;D

oldfart

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 05:26:35 PM »
Same basket as .... Reserve not met  scenario. Why not make the reserve your starting price  or is all about ebay fee's

Offline frank jnr

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 07:33:46 PM »
Was that Old and Cranky.. ;)..But I do agree, if you are selling something, I thought you would have thought about how much you want for it, before advertising...

Offline James Lee

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 04:33:02 PM »
It pisses me off too,if it doesnt have a price it really isnt for sale,seems these people are looking for an auction,best they go to ebay I reckon.

Offline CRTAD313

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 06:09:39 PM »
Same basket as .... Reserve not met  scenario. Why not make the reserve your starting price  or is all about ebay fee's
Exactly. Some get the sads when u ask the reserve???? Sorry for being interested in your bike mate just didn't want to waste your or my time!

TM BILL

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 06:19:40 PM »
What shits me is the " make an offer " brigade  ::) you make an offer and they pack a sad  >:(

Its not rocket science that the buyer  wants to pay as little as possible and the seller wants as much as possible  ;)

when i advertise somthing i have to add 25% just so we can go through the bullshit ritual of letting him negotiate  ::)

State the price if you want to sell  :)

Offline DJVGXL

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 06:38:03 PM »
Nearly as bad as "advertised elsewhere,maybe withdrawn at anytime" crap!

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 06:54:25 PM »
I'm with you TM

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 05:46:22 AM »
Exactly. Some get the sads when u ask the reserve???? Sorry for being interested in your bike mate just didn't want to waste your or my time!
I'm a believer in the reserve system. It does tend to get people bidding and sometimes before they know it they own it. I can't see it being a waste of time either. Bid what you are willing to pay and if it isn't enough it's too dear for you. You have to push a lot more buttons to ask a question than to just put your bid in which makes me think those that ask for the reserve are just tyre kickers.

That is one way of saying that they are negotiable outside of eBay and if an agreed value can be struck it will be sold before auction end.

Taka 100

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 07:43:50 AM »
most people ask the reserve to see if they can fit it into their budget , yes some people work on what they can shuffle around to get what they would like, clearly mark a price then there no confusion or banter or bullshit, happens in every form of selling , why not in these circumstances , might stop the speculators look where it got the econpmy - over inflated bullshit made to profit only some who just happened to be the people who pushed it up, banks real estate etc etc  to the mess weve got today and are we (the punter) better off , have a look around , I dont think so , 

maybe it should read
how did you feel after:

A.. you sold someone you pretend to know or a friend  an item and ripped them off

B...you passed on a good deal , made nothing and covered you cost

c.. you conned someone by them not knowing what something is worth and then gloted about it

D..you bought an item off someone and then realized they stuck you with a dud you will eventually loose on

E.. you gave something away

i know what i'm going to strive for - what makes me feel good - ride for life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_T41kJm-PE&feature=channel&list=UL

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 07:59:20 AM »
I'm a believer in the reserve system. It does tend to get people bidding and sometimes before they know it they own it. I can't see it being a waste of time either. Bid what you are willing to pay and if it isn't enough it's too dear for you. You have to push a lot more buttons to ask a question than to just put your bid in which makes me think those that ask for the reserve are just tyre kickers.

That is one way of saying that they are negotiable outside of eBay and if an agreed value can be struck it will be sold before auction end.

Agreed on both counts, although a lot of sellers set ridiculous reserves.
If the reserve is set low or sensibly, then its no drama - but as a bidder, you and the other bidders are actively involved in setting the sale price - particularly the whole process of working out how much you can/want to spend on a particular item - and its annoying when you discover that the seller is a time-wasting dipshit with a reserve price that's well beyond the market value...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 09:04:58 AM by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 08:30:09 AM »
  imo reserves are just a time wasting bullshit tactic that stuff people around and dont work in the real world  ???

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 08:39:35 PM »
Why is putting a single bid such a waste of time? Are you all so time poor that you can't afford ten seconds of button pushing? I have sold a few bikes with reserves in the real world.
I could say there are time wasters/ dreamers that put in $500 bids on bikes clearly worth thousands of dollars. Wtf is with that?

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 08:46:06 PM »
I think what some hope for is it ends low and they will try and offer stuff all even I had my xt500 no reserve at what I wanted no bids but then after the auction would you take $1800 etc lowball offers I am going to try the buy it now or best offer way next time so at least I can get some offers.
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 08:50:46 PM »
There are pro’s and cons for the reserve listings but I would agree that to list something with no price leaves guys wondering where to go.
There can be such huge variations in what a bike may be worth that it is really hard to guess what the owner wants. Prices can easily vary by 2 grand or more.

To be fair though, when people have stated what price they are after they often get ripped to shreds on here by people that aren’t even interested in buying said bike so I’m not surprised to see them hold back.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 09:15:54 PM »
I think a lot of people put things for sale with a high reserve etc so they can just satisfy the missus... The reality is they should have trained the missus from day one to keep her nose in the kitchen or stick with doing the caffe scene with the girls rather than cast opinions and judgement on big boys toys.
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 09:35:47 PM »
Why is putting a single bid such a waste of time? Are you all so time poor that you can't afford ten seconds of button pushing? I have sold a few bikes with reserves in the real world.
I could say there are time wasters/ dreamers that put in $500 bids on bikes clearly worth thousands of dollars. Wtf is with that?

It's not about the time it takes to bid.
Its the time and the time and effort (and sometimes stress) of working out:
how much you're prepared to spend
vs
the effort to go and get it
vs
the time you can go and get it
vs
cash flow
vs
grief from the wife
vs
the other ones on the market
vs
a million other things.

The people that don't work all of that out before bidding are the time wasting dipshits of Ebay.

There's plenty of times when I put in low max bids on things. I do this for two reasons:
1. Because I find it heaps easier to keep track of stuff that I've actually bid on, rather than the zillions of things in my watch list.
2. I might just get lucky and win it at the stupidly low price.

Regardless, a low bid HELPS the seller and does not hurt them at all (unless the bidder wins it and doesn't pay - but that's not an issue with them being a low bidder).
I've lost track of the number of times I've put in a low bid, figuring "If I can get that for $500, then I'd be happy to own it" - knowing that it should sell for $1000 or more - and then the winning bid is $502... without my bid, the seller would have gotten the $200 starting bid...

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 10:41:12 PM »
Thats right Nathan,
So many times i have just wanted someone to put it out there and get the bidding started. Other times i have bid seberal times over a couple of days and thought the item is not really what i am after but if it sells for a bargain i would regret not having a bid....
Brett

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 05:40:07 AM »
When someone says " time wasting" on here of all places it makes me shake my head. How many days/ hours have been spent on this site (me included) ? The 'bargin hunter' is the one that has a problem with a reserve auction for fear the reserve is too high.
I agree that no price for a bike that is for sale is wrong. For me that bike isn't for sale .
In turn if you like a bike and approach the owner asking if it is for sale and you would like to buy it, then it shouldn't be a problem if the owner says make me an offer I can't refuse.

Taka 100

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 07:49:14 AM »
simply put seller should state in my opinion the reserve ('I will take offers above x'y'z')and you will then know if your in the race instead of the crap you have to go through getting info on the seller and sometimes they don't have a quick contact that you could ring and put the questions AND THE BIG ONE HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT or you make an offer and they know where they are at and can either barter or say no , to sometimes the only contact is a message which they half the time sit there scratching there pimply arse you have to dig deeper to get info and as time goes by only to find out the seller is a jerk or just a person playing games that is making out they don't really need to sell something , well wtf did they advertise it for or it could be  just fingering  everybody to test the temp of the water and does it regulary makes you feel like getting out the napalm and start the BBQ 

this is one for the moderators

maybe there should be a rule on this forum as such to leave the game players on ebay and other forms of selling and make this a place of no stress for people of the vmx clan , cause isn't that part of what we are about information sharing and taking the piss outa everything , and getting good honest information from birds of a feather
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 07:59:24 AM by Taka 100 »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 07:53:35 AM »
When someone says " time wasting" on here of all places it makes me shake my head. How many days/ hours have been spent on this site (me included) ?

:D x100

Time wasting here is generally enjoyable and on the time-waster's terms, with no harm to anyone else.

Time wasting on Ebay generally f$%ks someone over by raising expectations and promising something that isn't delivered.

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 08:25:18 AM »
When someone says " time wasting" on here of all places it makes me shake my head. How many days/ hours have been spent on this site (me included) ?

:D x100

Time wasting here is generally enjoyable and on the time-waster's terms, with no harm to anyone else.

Time wasting on Ebay generally f$%ks someone over by raising expectations and promising something that isn't delivered.

I still think its not a valid point. People waste there own time as well as each others time every second of every day. I'd hate to wreck a car out for eg. The time wasters and dribblers you have to deal with there. What about the fact that I waste my time putting a bike on eBay so the vultures can get on there and low ball me trying to 'rip' a bike from me. Like I have already said and to go a step further, the reserve system doesn't work for low ballers or for that matter, dreamers that think they are going to retire with the sale of one bike.
The difference between putting a bike for sale that is worth $5 k and listed for $10 k is he won't get a bid. He will on a reserve auction but won't sell. Difference is if you were bidding you have wasted a small amount of time bidding... Big deal. Oh and with a straight up auction for $10 k the seller gets the added attraction of being bagged on here as well.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2012, 11:18:49 AM »
You haven't tried to buy a five~ten year old 125 on ebay, have you?
:lol:

Start the bidding at the absolute minimum you're willing to take, clearly state "no reserve", and go from there.
Is there a bad point to that?

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2012, 11:32:15 AM »
Not really. That's your choice. Mine is a reserve auction as it works for me. I have had bikes I don't know if they would have sold your way. Especially higher priced ones. There has been a specific auction when a reserve auction has worked for me. When you have a reserve people will bid. Then a bidding war can start, next minute they own it. The other way your chances are that you don't get a bid at all.
Here's a time waster. You're going to bid on a bike and watching it count down to bid at the end, you look at it again for the tenth time as you really want it to find it's been pulled cause someone's asked him what his reserve is and has made an offer he couldn't refuse....

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2012, 11:32:39 AM »

[/quote] I still think its not a valid point. People waste there own time as well as each others time every Difference is if you were bidding you have wasted a small amount of time bidding... Big deal. Oh and with a straight up auction for $10 k the seller gets the added attraction of being bagged on here as well.
[/quote]

;D
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2012, 11:34:38 AM »
Anyone ever bought stuff from " The Tender Centre ".
Guess a price and if you are lucky it,s the highest.
If you are real lucky you put in a bid and then discover , when you pay for it , that your bid was the only one and you could have got the thing for 50 times less. ::)
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2012, 02:37:47 PM »
If its something I really want, I ALWAYS send an email asking what their Buy It Now price is. It's more about avoiding being stooged, than anything else.
If they come back with "the auction wil run to the end", then that's fine - at least you can be fairly sure that the seller won't end the auction early...

oldfart

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2012, 04:37:43 PM »
As a buyer .... If it has a reserve price and it has not reached what I think  it's worth I'll move on as another is bound to come along.

A reserve price is the minimum price a seller is willing to accept for the item.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2012, 05:45:20 PM »
 The only thing I ever sold on Ebay was a collectible car ['74 model sporty] about 4 yrs ago with a damaged & dismantled engine.
 As I figured the hassle and cost of a rebuild would not better the rebuilt value all up, I put a fairly high reserve on it and was advised to put a low first bid [$10.00]. nothing much happened till the last few days then it took off.
 I got $4thou + for it which when added to the cost of the rebuild would have equalled the best possible price I could have hoped for.
 So by selling there was  no need to do all the work and try to find new bits etc at an estimated cost of $5000 plus my lost skin temper and hair.
 I estimated that the market value all fixed and running would have been $9000.
 So I took the 4plus and paid some more creditors from my ill-fated business adventure.
 pancho
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline DJVGXL

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2012, 06:56:26 PM »
" i will let the auction run its course" = i'am bidding on my own item with my other e bay account and will relist in a few weeks time with "highest bidder didn't show up to pick up item "etc etc etc when they have won their own auction. :'(

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2012, 07:31:13 PM »
Not really. That's your choice. Mine is a reserve auction as it works for me. I have had bikes I don't know if they would have sold your way. Especially higher priced ones. There has been a specific auction when a reserve auction has worked for me. When you have a reserve people will bid. Then a bidding war can start, next minute they own it. The other way your chances are that you don't get a bid at all.
Here's a time waster. You're going to bid on a bike and watching it count down to bid at the end, you look at it again for the tenth time as you really want it to find it's been pulled cause someone's asked him what his reserve is and has made an offer he couldn't refuse....

Don't see this way too often by a private seller Make Offer and COD..http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1979-SUZUKI-RM400N-VINTAGE-MOTOCROSS-/261008724923?pt=AU_Motorcycles&hash=item3cc55513bb#payId
Best is in the West !!