Author Topic: Cheney Honda XL Motosport Cantilever 73 frame nos  (Read 15125 times)

Offline jon strudwick

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Cheney Honda XL Motosport Cantilever 73 frame nos
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2010, 10:05:10 PM »
Good buy Matey.. Here's a basket case that was on eBay a while ago. The choices are basically two....build a KSI style bike like the one shown which is a Cheney and not an actual KSI or build it as stupid old Eric envisioned as shown in the basket case. Both styles are cool in my opinion.

Hi, Think Your First Pic Is Actually A MK1 KSI, The cheney frames never had the Bottom cradle frame tubes, the Mk1 KSI had the same type front swinging arm mounts as the cheney and i think that the first KSI was just a modified cheney for the center port motor

firko

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2010, 10:17:59 PM »
You might need to blow it up Jon but I think you'll find this is a Cheney frame number along with the usual 'Made in England'......(or made in Englang as my Cheney says)

« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 07:13:42 AM by firko »

Offline jon strudwick

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2010, 06:04:41 AM »
You might need to blow it Jon up but I think you'll find this is a Cheney frame number along with the usual 'Made in England'......(or made in Englang as my Cheney says)

I will check on my Friends KSI, Don't think cheney made a frame for the center port Engine . But could be wrong.

firko

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2010, 11:33:45 AM »
Here's the best comparo I can find but with the bodywork on the KSI it's hard to check out any differences. The sideport/centreport thing seems to be the only difference between the KSI and Cheney. I wonder if the same jigs were useD. Seeing Marcs new toy is a sideport, he's probably better building a 'proper' Cheney, but in the end, he can do what he likes (and probably will ;D). Here's the link to the previous posts on this subject which included Dereks history of the Cheney/KSI connection.http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=4710.0

« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 02:32:44 PM by firko »

firko

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2010, 02:18:28 PM »
Silly old Eric : stupid old Eric ? Bit rough isn't it lads ?
Yeah probably a bit rough, I acknowledge the brilliance of his work but after a mate being screwed by him twenty years ago, and me getting screwed by his son Simon 20 years later I haven't got a high opinion of their ethics. Beautiful bikes though.

Below..Shawn Giles Cheney back in the day when his dad Paul raced it in VMX. Note '75 Maico forks that have been replaced with original Cheney or Metal Profiles.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 02:24:39 PM by firko »

Offline jon strudwick

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2010, 02:27:10 AM »
You might need to blow it Jon up but I think you'll find this is a Cheney frame number along with the usual 'Made in England'......(or made in Englang as my Cheney says)

I will check on my Friends KSI, Don't think cheney made a frame for the center port Engine . But could be wrong.
Have checked against my friends KSI and its 100% a ksi infact his bike is marked the same but number xl16 so sister to the bike in your pic, couldn't  see all the details but his read  R&W  which stands for Rustell & Webb, Mk2  XL16 then made in england, will post up the pic i took but its not that good due to flash on camera.

Offline jon strudwick

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2010, 03:38:24 AM »
pic

Offline jon strudwick

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2010, 03:40:28 AM »

Offline marsman

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2010, 05:29:43 PM »
Silly old Eric : stupid old Eric ? Bit rough isn't it lads ?
Yeah probably a bit rough, I acknowledge the brilliance of his work but after a mate being screwed by him twenty years ago, and me getting screwed by his son Simon 20 years later I haven't got a high opinion of their ethics. Beautiful bikes though.

Below..Shawn Giles Cheney back in the day when his dad Paul raced it in VMX. Note '75 Maico forks that have been replaced with original Cheney or Metal Profiles.

Wow this one really re-kindled some old memories..I was there the day Paul (Giles) unwrapped the cheney which he purchased on a trip to the U.K. .Paul had only one reason to buy the Cheney.. so he could put a four stroke motor in it and blow off all the two strokes!!From memory  he had Edgar Phipps transplant the motor from the XL 350 that had run in the Nepean dirt six hour, look very closely and you'll see the ingenious PVC waterpipe elbow Ed used to connect the carby to the air cleaner. Twin Rear Girling shocks were as hard as rocks..& much to Paul's disgust the Maico forks worked really well!!
"I know I was fast once ; but I just can't remember when"

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2010, 11:45:31 PM »

He did.  I have a NOS Cheney Honda Center port frame hanging in the loft.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2010, 09:48:11 PM »
Funny this popped back up, the frame and motor are some place in the Pacific even as we speak .... I was in no hurry and Jon had a bereavement.

Anyway, there is a set of Cerianis and Rickman wheels in stock and some blue plastics. Actually I was pretty impressed with the job old Eric did on my JBR frame, it is well thought out so looking forward to building this one. ;D

but first things first have to finish my Duke.

formerly Marc.com