Author Topic: Frame rot  (Read 1958 times)

Offline facthunt

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Frame rot
« on: June 03, 2008, 10:55:39 PM »
Look what I found when I unpicked a rusty gusset on my YZ250g.

Offline Paddles

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Frame rot
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 08:38:41 AM »
mmmmmmmmm, bugger. how did it get to rot so much up there? it's not as if there's water sitting there or anything. can you tell if it's gone from the inside or outside?

mx250

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 09:00:40 AM »
Gees, ya making me nervious now  :o

Offline facthunt

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 01:50:48 PM »
mmmmmmmmm, bugger. how did it get to rot so much up there? it's not as if there's water sitting there or anything. can you tell if it's gone from the inside or outside?
It is caused by years of accumulated junk and moisture sitting there. The gusset is open at the top corner but without any provision
for drainage or cleaning. By the time the gusset has shown signs of corrosion the downtube will have already suffered.
This will be an issue with YZ g,h and j, and IT h and j that I know of. Food for thought when you next get big air eh.

mainline

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 09:01:25 PM »
Sorry, but what part of the frame am I looking at. I've had beer, and can't focus ;D

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 10:54:48 PM »
Pah, that's nuthin'! Once our PC is happy talking to photobucket, I'll post pics of my MX-A....

I dunno about the later YZs, but the earlier ones (and DTs) are damn near made of steam pipe, so even scary looking stuff like this isn't really that much of a worry.
And that same steam-pipe build also makes it easy to weld the holes closed.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Paddles

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 07:24:22 AM »
i've got a g myself facthunt so i know the places you mean. there's a coupla sneaky little spots behind gussets on the rear subframe that i'd chucked a bit of oil in but i'll be having a look up the front now because i hadn't noticed there weren't any drain holes up there. you're right nathan it's ferkin thick tube, i'm sure i'd be able to arc up the welder to place something resembling a steel dog turd over any holes i find (knowing my welding skills).