Author Topic: FRAME painter needed  (Read 3959 times)

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
FRAME painter needed
« on: July 21, 2008, 03:45:49 PM »
I think I'm done with screwing around painting my own bikes these days (besides it's winter) and so I am after leads on some good spray painters in Sydney. The work I want done is two pack and any leads would be appreciated so long as the work is good.
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) vapourblasting@yahoo.com.au

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: FRAME painter needed
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 09:48:45 PM »
Have you givin powder coating a go mate?
 We normally do our maico frames, hubs etc all at the powder coaters.
I would be interested to know if painting is better than powder coating, i think powder coating is meant to last alot longer ???
Maico's, the only way to go.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 10:56:53 PM »
Try Ron Keed,(Keed Bros),i think Alexandria in Sidinee,very good paintwork!, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline elsie 125

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 07:43:30 AM »
 good day lads, I am a spraypainter by trade, still currently spraying, after 34years,
 I quiet often get people want there bikes painted, and will paint them for them, but I always recommend they powdercoat there frames, swingarms, footpegs, triple clamps etc, alot more durable, lasting years compared to 2 pack auto paint.
 Powdercoating is heaps cheaper than spraypainting, and there is a great range of colours available nowadays.
When powdercoating frames etc, put old bolts in all the threaded areas, then just screw out all the bolts when powdercoated and put her back together

Quicksilver

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 07:49:24 AM »
I too am a spraypainter by trade with 27 years behind me. I would never power coat a frame, Ever. Stick to your plan mate and paint it.  I have seen the damage power coating does after few years. If the coat gets chipped, cracks or opened in any way water will sit between the plastic and steel quietly eating away the metal. Not good.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 08:03:43 AM by Quicksilver »

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 08:36:09 AM »
I am a perfection seeker and I have found if you want the very best, you have your frame colour matched to the original colour in 2k,
you then paint strip the frame and remove the paint stripper with a "STEAM cleaner, I have has exellent results doing this,
 I then have the frame powder coated lightly in Zinc (This ahears with much more strength than normal powder and allows some "Flex"), then lightly powdercoated in a colour as close to the original as I can, then it comes home to rubbed back with 800 wet and then into the spray booth to have one coat of the 2K....PPuuuurrrrrrrrr

If you can get it to windsor, I will do it for you.

Quicksilver

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 09:00:56 AM »
You have your own spray booth , at home? :o

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 12:39:22 PM »
Quicky your tarp set up is a booth .. just needs the heater and kitchen fan and your a production line mate
;o0
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 04:41:02 PM »
Thats interesting about the powdercoating.. now i am worried!!
I have powdercoated all frames i have done..  :-\  Hope they dont turn into a pile of rust flakes anytime soon.
I am pretty certain that KTM have been powder coating there frames from factory for years.. I got a KTM520 02 model frame powder coated back then and the powder coater told me it was already powder coated. :-\

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 05:23:15 PM »
i did my CR250 frame back in 1992 its done a shit load of rides and washes since them and no problems so far. the powercoating has been very durable.

Having said that i now prefer to paint them as its a prick to get powercoat off if need be.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline OZYKTM

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2008, 05:40:57 PM »
Painting /Powder coating there will always be arguments but my 2cents worth is that the people that bag powder coating are not up to date with current technology the improvments in coating tech over the last 10-15yrs is astounding and i know this because i work in the industry i teach auto painting TAFE and have a business that does blasting/painting & powder coating as well as qualified painting inspector.The problem of corosion creep under a coating is not only under powder coating ALL paint is pourous to an extent how well a coating is looked after is the most important part having said that a coating that is applied badly or not used as it was designed is where most problems start so choose your aplicator carefully,you were right KTM do powder coat there frames as do every other manufacturer not just bikes almost every thing that is made on a production line is powder coated you would be astounded at some of the tech that is comming out,paint cured with UV light,self repairing coatings etc.So the short of it is paint it if you wan't just use a good aplicator that uses good quality materials and the same for powder coaters if they don,t seem be up to date with new gear maybe try someone else.Just my 2cents :)

Offline mxmaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 08:56:07 PM »
Thanks for the detailed info OZYKTM, handy to know from someone who is so involved with these processes.. I was wondering whats the best way to remove powdercoating if need be. I haven't asked my guy but from what i read on his card he has a heat booth that strips everything from metal or something like that, would that be for removing powdercoating?

Offline OZYKTM

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 09:29:19 AM »
I  don't think he would be useing heat to remove paint it takes to much 400c+ the heat is probly oven for curing powder min170c max about 220c best way to remove any coating is blasting.