Author Topic: maico mc 125 1968 -69? help needed  (Read 4894 times)

maicomad

maico mc 125 1968 -69? help needed
« on: February 08, 2008, 08:28:52 PM »
Hi there people this is my first post my name is dave i live in australia near brisbane qld
i need some info on this maico mc 125 we think it may be 1968-69 ? FRAME number ( 880279 ) engine number ( 810871 ) , i need to know what colour it should be ?

It has alloy gaurds. the yellow paint is not original as it was painted years ago .photo attached,
red frame should be black ? it runs nice this bike. the gears need fine tunning .
This maico was from papua/newguinea my mates dad moved there from the USA in 1968 were he raced maicos and home built bikes owning a mecanial shop in lay .

The mc 125 was given to him after it through the chain and damaged the right hand engine case.i have the receipt dated 1972 for A new right hand case and other parts shiped from germany.the bike was then crated up and shiped to austraila in 1976 this bike and a maico 400 came with him .

its been in storged for years hanging from the shed roof , befor he passed away my mates dad rebuilt the engine replacing the damaged parts .then it was sold of to a friend in 1990 who did a shocking job at restoring it.wrong tank stickers colour so forth.it sat in his loung room for the last 18 years .recently we found out it was for sale so the boys went and pick it up, and now a full rebuild is under way .
any help would be much appreciated thanks !

maicomad

Re: maico mc 125 1968 -69? help needed
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 08:56:18 PM »
list of parts we need

1, front akron wheel 36 hole

2, pipe from air cleaner to carbi /and or addpters

3, handle bars / levers

4, fork seals and bushings

5, rear shocks

6, tank decals

can any one help or know were we could find these parts ?

looks like ebay usa is the place to look so far !

cheers dave

firko

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 10:47:42 PM »
Maicos are colour gel coated so start scraping those coats of paint off until you come to either red, blue or yellow. It could be any of these colours as I don't think that orange had been introduced to the range yet in '68. The colours are straight from the Volkswagen range of that year.
 125 parts are hard to source as not too many 125s were imported into the country. Much of the stuff you listed is shared with the bigger Maicos so give Les Richters at Mainly Maico a call or email and he should be able to help you out.
Keep an eye out on eBay as well. The bike sure has an interesting history and deserves to be reborn.

Mainly Maico...Les Richters
:  71 Ferodale Rd
Medowie NSW 2318

Fax: 02 4981 7231
Phone: 02 4981 7241
Email: les@mainlymaico.com

Maico31

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 10:54:43 PM »
I'm pretty sure i looked at that Maico sitting in an engineering workshop on the sunshine coast around '99. It was a 125 with a gear selection problem and it was for sale but parts availability scared me.

maicomad

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 03:02:59 AM »
Thanks firko for your reply  and info i will give him a call see if he can help us out !

i did sand some paint off and it looks like white under the yellow.  ???

MAICO 31 !.. yes thats the same bike the fella who we got it back off had it at neals engineering
the gears are working now thay just need some fine tunning  finding 5th is the prob,the fork needs indexing correctly

The bike has only 500 or so miles ruffly from new !, still on the original piston and rings and has huge compession
over all  the maico is in very good nick for its age ,i am sure we can bring this back to its former glory ,
i will  posted on its progress in the coming months as parts and paint come together but it looks like this will take some time and reserch to complet correctly !

cheers dave.

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 06:09:37 AM »
i sent the page and photo to john cadwell from canadian maico and this is what he said
Hi Paul,
it looks like a 69 / 71 / 125 MX it should be a 6 speed the tag on 
the front of the frame will say if its a GS or an MX. The shocks are 
not original Maico bits. Colors that they came in were; crimson red, 
flaming  orange or sunburst yellow the frames were black.
If its an early 69 one then it has the correct fenders and the front 
would have a metal hoop with alloy guards. I think they went to the 
fiberglass type in 1971. Parts are hard to come by, I have a couple 
of the bikes here and next to the 501's they are very collectable. I 
wouldnt bother trying to get it running as the performance is lower 
than low.
Cheers,
John

dont shoot the messenger   ok
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 08:24:21 AM by paul »

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 08:42:04 AM »
Holy shit Dave,that is in great nick.I have a couple of 125's as well. My number is 0417192302, i can put you onto a knowledgeable guy who is a 125 nut and has some nos for them.
Chers, Brad

maicomad

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 11:44:11 AM »
THANKS GUYS  for your replies .john thanks for doing that ! it has MC125 on the frame tag. all though it did come with 4x GS parts manuals looks to be the same engine ,but there in German so we cant read them  :D

"quot"
they are very collectable. I 
wouldn't bother trying to get it running as the performance is lower 
than low.  ;D

harhar it runs great  very responsive , buy yeah the boys have sentimental reasons as there dad owed it since near new .and it will be just a tallking piece in his shed more or less ,
 i could,nt see us racing it "lol"

Brad cheers mate ! i will give you buzz soon sounds promising..

TM BILL

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 08:04:49 PM »
What a great bike with a great history, googd luck with your resto look forward to following progress.