Author Topic: Kickstart spring issues  (Read 1671 times)

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
Kickstart spring issues
« on: November 16, 2015, 09:24:31 AM »
At the last meeting I rode something strange happened with the kickstart spring, instead of breaking the tag that locates into the cases straightened out so it lost tension & I ended up cable tieing the kickstart forward to the clutch & bump starting it for the rest of the day
I have a new spring which I've fitted but something doesn't seem right. I can get full travel of the lever if I run almost no tension - hole in case & shaft are in line but the kickstart doesn't fully return, if I undo the stop screw & rotate the kickstart down to enough tension for the lever to return with the screw back in I then have only about 3/4 travel
Does this make sense? Can take some photos in a few hours to show what I mean
Never had a problem like this before & only thing that has changed is the spring which is identical to the old 1

Damaged spring

New spring fitted without tensioning

Full travel

Return point without tensioning
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 12:32:26 PM by tony27 »

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Kickstart spring issues
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 12:42:30 PM »
New spring after tensioning

Extent of travel after tensioning

Only change I made was the spring, tried 2 different springs with same problem

I think the damage done to the hole for the spring may be a major part of my problem, just had another spring straighten out while testing which appears to be because the edge of the hole is rounded allowing it to tip over. Will try to peen around the hole enough to tighten it up for the next round & fix the hole properly over the break