Author Topic: KLX250 swingarm bearings and seals  (Read 7818 times)

Offline bishboy

• Legend
  • Toowoomba
    • View Profile
KLX250 swingarm bearings and seals
« on: September 18, 2013, 02:52:34 PM »
I am going to replace the bearings in my swingarm, but looking at it there seems to be a rubber seal on each side and I didn't want to wreck them getting them and then not be able to find replacements.

Anybody have any tips on how to get them out and if replacements are available or those off another model fit?  I was just going to go to the local bearing place for the bearings themselves.

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: KLX250 swingarm bearings and seals
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 09:14:43 PM »
The needle roller bearings and lip seals are available from your local bearing shop. Being in the UK, I use "Simplybearings.co.uk".
The biggest issue is the steel sleeves that run inside the bearings and over the pivot. They are usually rusty and badly pitted. These sleeves are no longer obtainable anywhere. I ended up making 4 of them from 070M55 and oil hardening them. They are not really hard enough, but way harder than the originals. Ideally they need to be made, heat treated and ground to size from a much harder material (817M40 ?). Expensive !
I do know people that have made plastic bearings to replace the lot. I guess it works ok.
Thumpers Rule !

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 09:18:45 PM »
Forgot to mention ..... before you remove the bearings - pop the sleeves and oil seals out and take some measurements from the face of the swingarm to the bearing. Also the same on the inner face of the arm between the spacer tube.
The positioning of the bearings in the arm will determine the offset of it in the frame.
Thumpers Rule !

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 09:20:26 PM »
Nearly all "AllBalls" bearing kits come with replacement dust seals, a little bit dearer than generic bearings but good quality and as mentioned come with the seals. http://www.allballsracing.com/25-1053.html, any bike shop will be able to order these in for you. Should be between $30-$35
 Cheers, Brendan
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 09:25:19 PM by Rookie#1 »
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 09:30:25 PM »
I didn't think AllBalls did a kit for the old KLX. Mind you, I wouldn't use them anyway. Cheap and nasty things that have a weird habit of varying in size !!!

Thumpers Rule !

Offline Rookie#1

• Legend
  • JUST SHUDDUP AND RIDE IT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 09:36:28 PM »
I didn't think AllBalls did a kit for the old KLX. Mind you, I wouldn't use them anyway. Cheap and nasty things that have a weird habit of varying in size !!!

To each their own...
THE SEXMAX.....coming soon to an Evo race near you!!! Lining up right along side the soon to be released TEDMAX!!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW FACEBOOK PAGE FOR VERi. VINTAGE ENDURO RIDERS INCORPORATED.

.https://www.facebook.com/pages/VERi-Vinduro/169617676550236

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 11:00:35 PM »
I have been using "All Balls" kits of all types for years.....never had an issue......lots of customer bikes as well....am doing the linkage bearings/seals/sleeves on a 89 CR125 at the moment.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline bishboy

• Legend
  • Toowoomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 08:13:22 AM »
I couldn't find any on all balls.

In regards to the oil seals, do I just pry them out gently and reuse them? If I wreck them are they available anywhere?

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 08:33:07 AM »
I can't find the size of the seals until tomorrow (I hope). But measure the od, id, and thickness. They are available cheap as chips.
If you can avoid re-using them it will help. Just be sure to repack them with waterproof grease, along with the bearings. I have been meaning to drill and tap for some grease nipples for years, but it just never seems to happen !
Thumpers Rule !

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 09:23:14 AM »
 http://www.pivotworks.com/ProductInfo.aspx?item_id=51770
are the sleeves you need.  A standard kawasaki part 42036-1357 from Corby Kawasaki but you'll need to cut the central spacer down a bit as they are wider than standard. You'll also need to make up a puller out of a threaded bolt and washers and sockets [from a socket set] just a touch narrower than the bearings OD. I've used these parts a couple of times on two different KLXs, no side play has developed.  The original kawasaki parts are no longer available and on the OEM parts the sleeves' OD and bearings' ID are different.  Of course you don't have the self centering aspect of the KLX parts but you do have a similar set up to the KDX which uses the same swingarm.
The bearing number is 74-401 [N2-938]    and the seals are 74-700 [K2-234] I got the bearings and seals from  OROUK who are inept in the extreme when it comes to the internet but sound to deal with 01597 822666
 I've got some parts spare so if you need anything  say so
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 05:07:53 PM by cloggy »

Offline grouty

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 04:48:13 AM »
Ok, for Bishboy ....

Swingarm needle bearings are  TA2025Z  (20x25x27)

Swingarm seals are 19-27-6

You will need 4 of each.
Thumpers Rule !

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 05:40:39 AM »
Looks like Grouty's parts are compatible with  with my sleeve. Think his parts are the same as mine

Offline bishboy

• Legend
  • Toowoomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 10:55:47 AM »
Thanks for that guys.  Will get the bearings and seals out and see if local bearing guy can get both.  The ORU2U shop has a lot of good stuff, but minimum 30 pound order and international shipping, will see what I can get local first, I can order pivot works through my local shop.

I was also thinking of drilling and tapping some grease nipples on a couple of my bikes as I rebuild them, but was wondering where would be best and how far to drill through?  Would you drill through the swingarm and through the outer of the bearing so the grease can get to the needles?

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 09:04:45 PM »
 Ah you're not Tamworth England then.
Standard kawasaki KLX parts are just that, not available as they are a KLX only bearing part not a general size and no longer made The only thing the same is the Bearing OD, seals and pins different too. Not interchangeable
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 09:12:25 PM by cloggy »

Offline bishboy

• Legend
  • Toowoomba
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 10:01:51 AM »
I can't get these damn bearings out.  I've heated the swingarm etc, I don't want to put too much pressure (I'm using the socket in a vice method) on them in case something breaks.

Any hints or should I just take it somewhere to get them pressed out?