Poll

Where should CD7 be held? Remember, this is just to see what people think, it's not a formal part of any decision making the guys from VMX might be doing!

Victoria
34 (24.6%)
New South Wales
29 (21%)
Queensland
66 (47.8%)
Tasmania
2 (1.4%)
South Australia
7 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: CD7...........  (Read 20698 times)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: CD7...........
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2009, 10:24:05 PM »
as much as i would like it in my backyard down in in Vicco,  after seeing the pics that have been posted, the climate Qld has and the great track of conondale i think QLD will get my vote.

i cannot think of a suitable venue in Vic to host what is a growing event, barrabool has a great track but no camping, broadford has good facilities but a non suitable track. i guess i better get up there next year.

Im with Hoony, Barrabool and Wonthaggi aren't anywhere near big enough for this GROWING event and the track at Broadford is basically a modern mx track .That doesn't bother some but some it do's.
The Pics of Conondale look awesome abd the weather is more likely to be nice than jn Victoria.
Its along drive for us Mexican's for sure but some North Queenslanders would have drove the same distance and anyway why not get away from the winter down here.
I hope to make it up for the NATS.

Offline Paddles

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2009, 08:35:37 AM »
bring on green park again i reckon ................ location, location, location!

All Things 414

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2009, 09:36:09 AM »
It's just not something that I'd do every year even if I lived next to the track
This surprises me. I would have thought that a party boy comedian like you would love the CD format. ::)

Yeah. You're right Old Phool. It is suprising isn't it? Can't understand why I wouldn't wanna spend three days a year in a tent full of fat, sweaty, bearded old guys all getting pissed and wrestling each other. I just haven't lived have I?

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2009, 09:50:42 AM »
Yeah. You're right Old Phool. It is suprising isn't it? Can't understand why I wouldn't wanna spend three days a year in a tent full of fat, sweaty, bearded old guys all getting pissed and wrestling each other. I just haven't lived have I?

Well no, you haven't, obviously.  You could always stay in a motel of course, as many did.  ::)

I believe however a lot of guys had a hellava time riding their bikes, bench racing, watching Legends ride and checking out the bikes, and the tent wrestling wasn't the main attraction.  ;D

husky61

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2009, 10:06:05 AM »
Photo of star wrestler.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2009, 10:08:16 AM »
I've (only) been to the last three CDs, so I've gone to Vic, NSW and Qld now.

Really, I don't think that CD needs/wants a permenant home - the nomadic style that we've seen means that most people will be able to attend at least one CD every few years without too much travel.
While setting up base in (say) Conondale has much to recommend it, it would also mean that plenty of people would never bother to attend and the idea would be far more likely to get stale.

So yeah: Up and down the east coast should make the event accesible to the greatest number of punters. The occasional foray to SA or Tas wouldn't be out of the question either, IMHO.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2009, 10:19:15 AM »
Hey take it easy 414. I'm not fat or bearded, although I'll admit to having been really sweaty - much warmer up there than down here! And I didn't get into any tent wrestling either - in fact I tried awfully hard not to even accidentally touch TwistandShout all night!

Last year I moteled it after sleeping in several inches of water at CD4. That was OK, all day at the track and back to a nice warm bed, hot shower and a great breakfast at the motel restaurant. This year we camped again (and remembered the fly) and had a ball. Waking up Saturday morning and watching the fog lift over a slab of paradise littered with every sort of old dirtbike you can imagine was a real thrill.

Classic Dirt events are pretty good you know. Even if you do have to drive for a day to get there.

While I can see the attraction in having CD live a sort of nomadic lifestyle, Conondale DOES have enormous attractions - room, weather, track and so on. And it's actually more central to the entire East Coast than anywhere else. Sorry WA and SA, the tyranny of living in a huge wide land again.

TT

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2009, 10:34:20 AM »
Despite being in S.A. I kinda agree that it may not be in the event's best interest to bring it over here. The weather can be pretty average here this time of the year. We're having a top of 11 today, but I see Canberra has a top of just 7 degrees.  ;D Besides, I'd probably be working and miss it anyhow...............  ::)
Conondale is over 2000kms from me, so even if I do have the weekend free, it's a good couple of days drive to get there. But considering the glowing reports from CD6 and the relatively low numbers of VMXers over this way, it may well be the best location, if it were to stay in one location.
I only ask for as much notice as possible of a date to give me any chance of having the time off to finally get to my first full Classic Dirt.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 10:36:26 AM by Tony T »

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2009, 10:38:50 AM »
All this talk of how good they have been and the great camaraderie shwon.  Make you minds up so us over in the very isolated West can arrange to get ther.  This would be great for a group of us from the West to attend. 

Would be good if it could be the week before the Championships, then could all bring our bikes over, but know that would never happen

Anyone lend a zimmer frame to an old rider to play with while over there!!!lol

Barry
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

All Things 414

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2009, 11:34:03 AM »
Don't try and put some spin on me that I'm anti Classic Dirt. Not the case. I think it's a great thing. I'd go to another and I'd probably motel it again as yes, I hate being kept awake all night by pissed people. I just know I wouldn't go every year as I think I'd get CD burn-out. Especially if it was held at the same venue, year in, year out.
I couldn't give a rat's if it wasn't in Vic again. Not even a fractiion of a rat's. I do think however that it's a little unfair on our Western neighbors if they never have it.
What about Alice Springs? It's central. I'm sure the locals would embrace such a thing (yes I've spent time there) and the journey for most people would be half the fun. Let's see how Australasian you really all are.
I'd go!  ;)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2009, 01:23:52 PM »
COME MORE SOUTH AND WE CAN ALL MAKE IT.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2009, 01:31:57 PM »
I actually dont think there is anywhere in in WA that could host it and I like the idea of an excuse for going over east for a ride.  Depending on where the NATS are next year (hoepfully WA but you never know) but might give them a miss and head over and join the orgy at CD7 - sounds like a hoot and everybody has done nothing other than make me more jealous  :-[

cheers

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2009, 01:36:23 PM »
Goodness me. It's ankle deep in here already. I said once it goes north we'll never see it again. Let 'em have it.....  :P

* Actually, how about South Africa or somewhere else realllllllyyyyyyy far away.

Hmm.  I'm not putting spin on your comments...they seem pretty self explanatory to me.  ???

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2009, 02:02:04 PM »
What is that old quote that goes something like: you can't keep all of the people happy, all of the time.

Well that applies to Classic Dirt as well so there is no use in asking for it to be 'a bit closer' or a bit 'further south' or a bit 'whatever'. You have to be practical and not off in some fantasy world.

The reality is there are only a few venues in the entire country that can host the event and provide geographical access to enough punters to make it financially viable. I don't hear the Americans complaining that Mid Ohio should move around the country - instead they embrace the event and make the travel part of the experience.

I realise that there are a lot of good ideas floating around about CD7, but there are others just wasting everybodies time with crazy concepts to suit their own narrow agenda. Most niche sports/pastimes don't have anything even resembling the CD concept, so instead of complaining about this or that just get your act together and come and enjoy the event for what it is. It won't be perfect for everybody no matter where or when it is held. If only life was that simple.

So to continue, from here on in can we just have considered and realistic ideas and not just waste everybodies time. If you want to go down that path just reread the posts after last years CD5 [it is all the same stuff].

VMX42

P.S. I thought that CD6 was great - as were the previous 5.
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2009, 02:40:37 PM »
Well thereis more to see on the way to mid OHio, just i dont rate Hay plain as an attraction , nor orange or any thing on that route, come to think of it if i could park my RV in the PIts you might have somthing there ( What are the chances here in AU? - SWA) but to Camp out like some rock festival after a 22 hour drive, id want a little more, id want at least a mud wrestle with maico girl, or to find a rare for sale on the side of the road on the way in some hick backwater town on the way .

Lets see where it goes next time round, but moving it about keeps it interesting and accesable other wise the rest of the states VMX dies as the interest dries up in paying out MA licences for 4 rides a year. etc etc
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff