Author Topic: cheap Metisse frames kits - interest?  (Read 37906 times)

cheapracer

cheap Metisse frames kits - interest?
« on: May 11, 2011, 01:48:32 AM »
I am interested to get a feeling of how many people would would be interested in a Metisse frame kit if it was at a realistic dirt cheap (pun intended) price? It's only steel and fibreglass ffs (waiting for angry Metisse owner responses to that, lol!).

I will be having a meeting in short time with a partner motorcycle manufacturer discussing a new model bike which, if I get my way, may be a retro Metisse replica running a modern water cooled 600 single and if theres any interest may make the frame and 'glass a separate sideline.

Moderators please excuse, it's not a spam sales pitch, I have a deep interest in VMX and it's health and happy to establish who I am via PM.

Thanks  :)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 10:32:49 PM by cheapracer »

Oppet

Re: cheap Metisse frames kits - interest?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 05:39:03 AM »
Rickman replica with water cooled engine, no thanks
Cheap Rickman replica with proper old engine would be nice, if nicely made. But then it wouldnt be cheap.  :-\

lucien

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 10:00:10 AM »
If you are going to be making a Mettise are they to fit a 650 triumph motor ore just a single motor

firko

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 11:27:56 AM »
I'd have thought that the Metisse market was saturated enough as it is. With two manufacturers already producing quality Metisse kits you'd have to 1: offer up a pretty cheap alternative and 2: the quality would have to be pretty damn good.

For your Metisse kit to be viable you'd need to make it from 4130 chrome-moly tubing, Reynolds or another lightweight alloy steel. Because these materials are expensive, especially in small orders, I'd be interested in knowing how a kit could be produced "cheaply" without sacrificing quality, considering the material and tool up costs and the potentially small niche market. If it's intended to use mild steel the final weight and reduced strength would add extra disadvantages.

I don't want to be seen as being against new players coming into the frame business, I merely want to stress my point that unless you have a revolutionary new method of construction, it'll be pretty damn hard to produce a "realistic dirt cheap" Metisse. I've twice looked at getting into the replica frame business (not Metisse)and after producing a fairly detailed business plan, found that the small potential market didn't warrant the amount of work required.

GMC might have something to say on this.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 11:30:14 AM by firko »

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 11:43:09 AM »

unless you have a revolutionary new method of construction

China???

cheapracer

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 12:36:06 PM »
Rickman replica with water cooled engine, no thanks

I'll mention that to Triumph, hell they were thinking of releasing these; http://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk/motorcycles/range/classics - the fools.

I mean a classic looking bike but with modern power, smoothness, electric starting and total reliability, why would you bother hey.

Found that the small potential market didn't warrant the amount of work required.

Once again - complete bike in production, frame kit on the side taken off the production line if someone wants one.

"Must pay huge money for quality" is almost a purely Australian concept and it's unfortunate the moment I say "cheap" Australians immediately infer "low quality". 

« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 01:04:11 PM by cheapracer »

dirtrumpy

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 12:43:54 PM »
230kgs maybe why!!!!

cheapracer

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 01:04:56 PM »
230kgs maybe why!!!!

Ke?

I didn't make it clear I'm talking 600's for road use sorry, heres some closer to the mark ..

« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 01:11:48 PM by cheapracer »

Offline TeeBone

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 01:12:36 PM »
I have a deep interest in VMX ...

I mean a classic looking bike but with modern power, smoothness, electric starting and total reliability, why would you bother hey.

From my side of the fence, that proposal is against the classic VMX movement per se. I don't believe I'm on my Pat Malone in thinking that a sure fire classic such as a Metisse be bastardised with "modern power...watercooling" et al.

Now, back to the idea of the "sideline" business of frames and glass, IF it can be built to the same high standard and finish, then it may well prove to be a goer. I wish you all the very best in your endeavour.

230Kgs???? Yep, weigh up that "modern classic" Trumpy!
Destined to a life behind bars. A garage full of KTM's and a 73 CR 250M Honda....H7 250 Monty will be at Harrow!
A "never was" of the Nineties...

cheapracer

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 01:49:08 PM »

From my side of the fence, that proposal is against the classic VMX movement per se.

230Kgs???? Yep, weigh up that "modern classic" Trumpy!

You seem to miss a point, the 600cc modern bike is for sales to road riding clients and nothing to do with VMX - the frame and 'glass on it's own however could be separated for VMX usage. I'm guessing a current Metisse kit is somewhere near $4K landed in Oz? (1750 British Pounds at the Rickman website).

230kgs is irrelevant, people buy 100kg Cagiva 125s to 400kg Goldwings and everything inbetween, thankfully there are different tastes and requirements for everybody  ;)

No 17  Metisse with the 998 is actually for sale , comes with MX front end  , Promax MX shocks and spare wheels  ;D Please PM

Beautiful bike, well done.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 01:52:29 PM by cheapracer »

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 02:12:16 PM »
I would like to trade up from this one day

To something like this

but as previously indicated in other threads :D
With a registrable Mettise frame instead and fitted with Ceriani's etc. As to give its purpose a bit more range and scope, so it could camp a bit off road etc.

My dream idea of what an adventure tourer for a Mick, could be and should be :-*
Come on down,  ;D fairy godmother :-*
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 02:37:46 PM by MICK-DE »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

cheapracer

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 03:08:25 PM »

To something like this

Fixed.

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 04:10:57 PM »
Hey Mick,
Is that sling on the front wheel of the Beema to stop anyone stealing your pool fence? :D :D :D :D
Only joking mate. That Yamaha certainly is a good looking bit of kit - got a bit of Ducati Sport style about it.
Pete.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 04:30:02 PM »

To something like this

Fixed.

A bit vague ???

What exactly do you mean?

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 04:43:39 PM »
Hey Mick,
Is that sling on the front wheel of the Beema to stop anyone stealing your pool fence? :D :D :D :D

Oowh yeah, real funny Pete :D :D :D :D :D :D Don't worry, I cop it all the time ;D mainly from those who don't even have a roadie, let alone a bike at all ;D

I have lost my license six times. So I think it ludicrous for me to ever consider Busa, R1 or Gitsa.
No more RZ's for me. If I get done one more time for "speed dangerous" they might stick me in that fancy cell that Hannibal lector had.
The roads are limited to 110. That old thing has a higher ratio drive, is chipped and will cruise all day on 200 and pull like a teenager from there if you want it to. With a hard Mitchy on the back It compression slides into and power slides out of most round-a-bouts ;D

Any how, that bike has always been about weekends away with the best luggage system on earth :o

« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 05:43:58 PM by MICK-DE »