Author Topic: Pre-95.  (Read 17281 times)

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
Re: Pre-95.
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2010, 10:37:49 PM »
Please Let me know from the 100s of pre 2010 bike could have rode a Canberra..

(Please Note that all Members CAN RIDE A Pre 90 / pre 95 / pre 2020  Bike on the Practice Day ..this a sume think that is all way
  left out . Why ??)

and from the Numbers I noted.  Pre 2010 did Better than Pre 95  .so From the 100s of Members Busting to Ride there

pre 90 bike pre 2010 out number them 10 to 1  and I dont think I saw the pre 90 bike out on the track..???

##  And The ACT Canberra Track all way pull less Pre 75 / pre65 Bike   . Lets look at  the numbers of Pre 75 Bike a the CRC

and Canowindra..  and Can you go back the larst years EVO Challenge can give me the LOW numbers of Pre 85 Bike .

So Lets Just Piss OFF Vintage Motor Cross it would save a Lot of work ..

Because I am ONE VMXer how is going to do that..

Congratulations, you have won tonight's "Bunny with the Pancake" award.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2010, 10:39:15 PM »
Where's me 2000 model Husaberg 501 fit into this Geoff?....love that bike!

Dunno, I was trying to look at it logically, and logically I wouldn't buy a Husaberg
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

firko

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2010, 10:40:51 PM »
Why did Penrith turn away from pre-75?
one worded answer....apathy. They are still an essentially pre '75 club but don't bother too much any more.
We can't simply disregard all of the punters with post-74 bikes,
No argument from me. I don't know where I made this a pre '75 v the rest argument. This has little to do with pre '75 so don't throw the old phurphy that I'm only referring to pre '75 into the discussion. I'd be the worlds greatest optimist to think that pre '75 can come back to the pre HEAVEN entry levels. That bird has flown. The point I'm making and continue to make is that the combined current class system (Pre '75, Evo and pre '85) is not operating at anywhere near an acceptable entry level. That's where my bucket analogy comes to life...Adding new divisions (water) to the holy bucket (VMX) doesn't fix the hole (unacceptably low entry levels).
Bet it has SFA to do with Evo (and later) bikes....
You're correct Nathan the downturn in entry levels has less to do with Evo and later bikes than the she'll be right attitude by clubs towards promotion, public awareness and recruitment. The clubs, especially Penrith have chugged along happy in their lot and just going through the motions. That's not anyones fault in particular, it's just another example of the lack of entrepreneurial spirit amongst the vintage population. As long as the punters show up on race day, she'll be right. Not much thought goes into getting more, new punters to turn up or, probably more importantly trying to get those racers who've left the fold to come back. In my day, if a racer hadn't turned up for a race meeting or two, I called him up to see how he was going and to see if there was a problem causing him to not turn up. Has anyone ever gone to the trouble of attempting to get lost racers back in recent times? Have HEAVEN put on bike displays complete with flyer distribution at modern meetings and in shopping malls as we did during my time at the helm of Penrith? Does HEAVEN have a press liason officer who compiles results, a small article and a couple of photos to distribute to Torque, AMCN and the suburban local rags? Does the club submit personality pieces to the local press promoting local riders who've done well or to promote a particular event? If the answer to any of the above questions is "er, well no", well not enough is being done to promote the sport.
Firko with the greatest respect mate you need to get out to a club day soon. The lack of numbers in the earlier divisions is what we are suffering from. Not as you say "finding it hard to fill many classes in the Evo and pre 85 divisions".
Shaun...The entries at todays club motocross meetings are around half of what we were getting during the boom years with just pre '75 and earlier to worry about. There were enough entries to present three, sometimes four distinct age groups with full grids in nearly all of those age group capacity classes. At some meetings the over 30/250 division would have two separate grids! I'll end up repeating this mantra in my sleep but the current vintage scene with it's luxury of being able to present classes for everyone from pre '65 to pre 85 can't even fill one age group grid in most of the Evo and Pre 85 classes (notwithstanding the problems inherent with the pre '78 divisions as well), introducing pre 90 and now the call for pre 95 is not the right thing to do. Fix the bucket first. When a vintage club day can boast of filling full grids in all of the major classes, then and only then should we be looking at pre 90.

I understand the passion for those bikes...believe it or not I honestly believe that the 80s were the greatest in our sports history, both for the amazing horsepower wars in the 500 class, the suspension revolution and for the great riders that emerged during that decade. However, the health of our sport is to me more important than continuing to add new classes to satisfy the notion that because a bike is 20 or 25 years old, it therefore deserves a class of its own. If things were going well...you betcha, bring on pre 90. But while pre 85 is still finding its way and Evo is struggling to fill grids in some capacities...introducing pre 90 will only exasperate the problem. Introducing pre 95 would be rash stupidity.

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2010, 10:46:30 PM »
The only Pre-95 models I like are these ones...

Agree Shoey?  ;)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2010, 10:50:15 PM »

now that some of us older people are sliding our slippers under the bed and tucking in our striped pj's,while snuggling down and sipping a hot chocolate and vovo biscuit..we wish you a continence evening of productive pre95 positive discussion...oh and that RED BULL is a 2005 modern model ..nite nite   ;D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 10:52:17 PM by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2010, 10:55:39 PM »
I'll take the 2nd from the left.....I'm sure she's looking at me?
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2010, 10:59:36 PM »
I'll take the 2nd from the left.....I'm sure she's looking at me?

Stop window shopping Davey, you wouldn't keep up ;D
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

oz555ktm

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2010, 11:53:54 PM »

Alistair I know that You would have No Idea what I am talking about .

and if just worked all weekend runing a race meeting and  3 day befor that geting a  track ready
   and then spend 2 days of this week   
   on the phone all for the sport of VMX .

Than I thank you for the pancake

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2010, 12:03:09 AM »
No problem, I hope you enjoy it.  ;D

(and by the way, I have organised and run a race meeting or 50 in my time... just in case you didn't know that)  :o

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2010, 06:14:44 AM »
Shaun...The entries at todays club motocross meetings are around half of what we were getting during the boom years with just pre '75 and earlier to worry about. There were enough entries to present three, sometimes four distinct age groups with full grids in nearly all of those age group capacity classes. At some meetings the over 30/250 division would have two separate grids! I'll end up repeating this mantra in my sleep but the current vintage scene with it's luxury of being able to present classes for everyone from pre '65 to pre 85 can't even fill one age group grid in most of the Evo and Pre 85 classes (notwithstanding the problems inherent with the pre '78 divisions as well), introducing pre 90 and now the call for pre 95 is not the right thing to do. Fix the bucket first. When a vintage club day can boast of filling full grids in all of the major classes, then and only then should we be looking at pre 90.

Firko when you say boast full grids how many bikes do you mean?

I know the numbers today are significantly lower than the early days. I remember when even HEAVEN ran two divisions in some EVO classes and agree the numbers are nowhere near that today. However EVO and later classes still represent the largest participation levels in the HEAVEN club over the season by a country mile.

The older bike riders are voting with their feet and if we don't address the issue of recruitment soon I feel that the future may be bleak.

It's funny but I was talking about promotion along the same lines as you just last weekend. Since the demise of your award winning column in ADB, main stream media attention of VMX is sorely lacking. As a club I feel that a prioprity should be made of instigating regular press releases to the publications you mentioned as well as on-line sites such as fullnoise.com.au etc. This along with the introduction of later year cut offs to interest younger enthusiasts is in my humble opinion the direction that we must take to ensure the ongoing success of the club.

btw I too think Nathan has gone a bit far with pre '95 but he's pregnant at the moment so will let it slide  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheers
Shaun

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2010, 06:54:41 AM »
Hi Nathan

yes! far too much time on your hands ;D

Shoey, you say so much with so little effort.

SO TO EVERYBODY ELSE, I DONT HAVE THE TIME TO READ YOUR LIFE STORIES, JUST SPIT IT OUT.

Cheers Trev

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2010, 07:33:06 AM »
Hi Nathan

yes! far too much time on your hands ;D

Shoey, you say so much with so little effort.

SO TO EVERYBODY ELSE, I DONT HAVE THE TIME TO READ YOUR LIFE STORIES, JUST SPIT IT OUT.

Cheers Trev

I knew this subject would bring out Worms...

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2010, 07:49:21 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D yup :D :D yep, ;D ;D ;D yep

now that makes sense :D

Worms

shoey

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2010, 08:40:23 AM »

Offline Damo