Author Topic: Having trouble starting bike  (Read 1921 times)

Offline maxi81

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Having trouble starting bike
« on: March 07, 2013, 02:58:55 PM »
I tried kicking over my bike the other day without any success. I took the carby off thinking it might need a clean. I noticed the air screw was all the way in. Would this stop the bike from starting?

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
Re: Having trouble starting bike
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 03:11:26 PM »
No should be 2.5 turns out

I do find my bike starts first kick once I installed one of these.

Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 04:10:48 PM »
Probably not the screw causing the prob but undo like slackwell said
If my bikes will not start,
i would normally remove the spark plug and sit it against the head and check for spark
Also check thatvthat the exhaust or the carb is not blocked with a rag from last time you washed it
Before puttimg the spark plug back in i would put a capfull of petrol into the bore through the plug hole best result if the piston is at top dead centre this will prevent the petrol running straight out the exhaust port if its at bottom. Put the plug back in and this will at least help fault find.
I have seen fuel blockage in the fuel hose just consider that too.
Could be 10 other things but try that ang get back to the forum for more assist...
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 05:06:00 PM »
sounds easy but
fuel
compression
and spark
Must be one of the above,spark test easy! Fuel Check carb,try start ya bastard,compression and air leaks next
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 09:13:11 PM by bazza »
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline maxi81

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 05:19:47 PM »
Thanks for the replies. It's got spark and I know fuel is getting to the carby bowl. After kicking it over a few times I took the spark plug out and was completely dry, even after holding the throttle open. Ill do the things you have suggested and see what happens.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 09:09:31 PM »
Unblock the pilot jet.
K

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 09:15:46 PM »
What sort of none starting bike do it be maxi?

and have you enlisted/dragooned a posse of helpers to give you a good push? Sometimes that gets the whole shebang into full operational mode.*

* warning sometimes it totally roots the said whole shebang.... 

or perhaps in the words of K you might unblock the pilot jet..... 8)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 11:06:23 PM by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline maxi81

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 04:27:11 PM »
I turned out the pilot jet and it started second kit. It ran for about 30 seconds and just died, could get it started again. Fuel was leaking from the overflow so maybe it's getting flooded. I pulled the carby out and took the bowl off and noticed the one of the float pins is bent so I will replace them and the float arm and go from there.
Thanks again for the suggestions

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 04:57:38 PM »
Good luck maxi
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 06:32:06 PM »
Check the pilot jet.  Todays crappy fuel goes stale and can build up a calcification in the carb.  Usually the pilot jet gets blocked and it's hard to tell because the hole steps down midway and you can't really see down there to well.  Pretty hard to find anything small enough to push through as well.  I usually put them in an ultrasonic cleaner to clear them.  I usually drain carbs if the bike is going to sit for more than a week or two, or run fuel stabiler in my petrol.

Offline chrisdespo

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 11:43:40 AM »
Yes to the above my grandsons 125 quad is forever getting a blocked pilot jet have fitted filter seems to be a crappy rubber hose std fitment from china causing the problem fuel seems just to erode it and you end up with all sorts of crap in fuel bowl. i always thought neoprene was the stuff for fuel hoses?
When in DOUBT GAS IT!!!