Author Topic: Need a new project  (Read 9230 times)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: Need a new project
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2008, 02:11:50 PM »
Ok i have spoken to Niel keen and gary nixon.   Both of who sold the frames, but moreso Speaking to Niel who made them And is THE Guru of quarter mile frames, and back in the late 60's redifined racing when the japs gave him the first Motors to build race frames for, infact his first Dt1's the japs ship him over had no numbers just #1, #2 #3 so he was at the start of the JAp revolution in 2 strokes,  so not only did he build the frames but raced them in 68-70 seasons for high point wins, before he took on tuning for the japs who poured into a program for Haaby, MAshburn and finally world beater roberts.  he

The first frames he built for Dt1 were for himself and a hand ful of others and unstamped so he says know the frame but will take another look for sure.

the guy must be in his 70"S now so its prity amazing when you track these guys down and actually get to talk to true living legends. Will update ya when they can tell me more
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Husados

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2008, 08:02:47 AM »
Picked up the XL500 1981 a couple of weeks ago...
Engine in exellent condition

Has anyone here had any experience with Megacycle cams ( Needle roller cam )
also what engineering shop would be best for head work, porting, valves etc..?

cmracing

« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2008, 05:17:36 PM »
see ya mate with the elsinore i hear he has a quick one

firko

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2008, 05:32:39 PM »
I've used Megacycle cams in all of my 4 stroke engines since the 80s including my current 250 Ducati project. Their Honda cams are the hot setup. The company is unique as it's owned by a woman, I think her name's Barbara and she really knows her shit. When I visited the factory I made the dumb sexist mistake of dismissing her as the receptionist and asking her if I could talk to somebody who could answer some technical questions. She most sternly told me that she was the owner and camshaft designer, not the coffee girl! Most of her machine shop workers are women as well.

Husados

« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2008, 08:05:44 PM »
Thanks Firko
I found them by mistake on the webb..now looking for a aussie supplier

see ya mate with the elsinore i hear he has a quick one

Who is that.....?

firko

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2008, 11:56:00 AM »
I'm fairly certain there isn't an Aussie Megacycle Cams supplier but if there is...let us know.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2008, 12:03:16 PM »
Um Husados,  "Two stroke" Elsinores don't have camshafts... I think somebody is pulling your chain..................
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Husados

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2008, 07:13:00 AM »
Yeah Firko i will do a bit of hunting.. I think the megacycle is the only way to go

I have the XL striped and waiting goodies ( let the draining of funds begin )

Tim754 Mate i think your right  ;D
Just kiddin.. Thats a mate i race with at our local track

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2008, 02:47:58 PM »
HEy update on the Dt1 trackmaster.  Had a big chat with the man and he told me she was one of the first twin shock frames they put together for the YAms, these original dt1 frames were made out of triumph tubes, and that explains the xtra head room,
the first one was made out of "scrap" bends ,spliced together.  the first unit Neil built now belongs to bill milburn ,his long time friend and
historian/collecter.

"our basic  geometry was based on triumphs"

the first few tube frames that got going had blank headsets, they made up a few until they got some track time and feedback that they actually worked fine on the track. later they jigged up from them to get some production going to meet what they hoped would be a 2 stroke revolution in the sport and pay some bills.  ( smart boys)

So i guess i finally got my answer as to why mine has all that headroom and no stamps.     Bit of a find really.    Neil said he is interested in me putting it back to original and if anyone saw it in the pits its got a diamond glass tank and the long set set from the later models in a period marroon, he's promised to send an original tank ( i think they were tear drop) and a solo seat and pillion ( not convienced about that myself yet) and should probally get it painted up in the same ascot colours he used in 69 but im not so sure of the dodgey number 10 he was famous for, specially with the hand painted numbers id feel like part of the "Goodies" show:O)

History is a wonderful thing when you find it, and i was thinking bout a pre 70 unit anyway so it mayas well be this one :O)

pps - back on the  exhaust thread check out the one on this bike ? fat enough ?  what he told me he did was recut these new expansion chambers off Motor crossers that seemd to work a treat and just realigned the cone and neck lenghths and shaped the power range from there to get the torgue in the right place for the track/motor, they previously did the same thing on the bultaco he built out of lunds shop.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 03:51:41 PM by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2008, 05:21:21 PM »
Cool hey Freaky is that you in the Yamaha shirt ???.
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2008, 10:50:36 PM »
funny guy hilly.  thats bubba :O0

nah those 2 guys were his crew Jerry and Ray Thompson the guy on the right is a random who hands out the trophies :OP
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 11:02:06 PM by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's