Author Topic: Yamaha HL500, Ideas and Variations of Building one.  (Read 72166 times)

Offline bruiser

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Yamaha HL500, Ideas and Variations of Building one.
« on: January 07, 2012, 12:04:50 PM »
Hi Guys,

I am seeking Ideas and variations from others, who may have the experience of building a Yamaha HL500. or their own version of a HL500!

Info in a broad range would be great... like if people have used their original standard XT/TT frame or have modified it.
I have a 1979/80 CR 250 frame laying about also, that may be used for this Project???

I have heard that early- mid seventy's Husky frames are the frame that were used on the original HL500... also Maico 1978 frames have been used.
I am interested to know, if frames have been used from other makes also...  and if, they have been successful in handling department.

Also the combination of other components that have been used, swingarms, wheels, front forks & shocks etc.

If you would like to post up pics of your own HL500, or version of... that would be great too!

Thanks

Bruiser

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Yamaha HL500, Ideas and Variations of Building one.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »
i think i know were there is one for sale   ;)  gmc hl copy  if you are interested i.ll find out more

Offline bruiser

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 04:12:16 PM »
Hi Paul,

Thanks... though I was thinking of developing my own version of a HL500.

I was wondering if it would be worthwhile grafting a TT500 engine into the 1979/80 Honda CR 250 frame that I already have. as a starting point?

Also I have a complete 1979 XT 500 & the first model TT500 that is incomplete, with frame & engine only... plus an old SR500 engine that could even be used to power the project.

Bruiser.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 04:29:34 PM »
think some earlier vmx mags had some HL looking specials. In the red rocket will look like a redline.think there are lots of photos for ideas on "thumper Talk"
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 09:44:31 PM »
 The maico frame is lots of work and so would be the CR, you'll never get the height for the carb. There is so much space in the early husky frame you can get the weight distribution right
 This is a good link

http://gelanz.com/xt500/hl500.html

Offline bruiser

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 12:54:51 AM »
Hi cloggy,

That is a good link, thanks for that.

Bruiser

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 03:20:47 AM »
for some reason I like the RM TT500, nice close fit. it is tall motor and won't fit just anything.

formerly Marc.com

Offline cloggy

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 03:59:26 AM »
 A french acquaintance of mine shoved a DR400 motor into an RM frame. It was a lot of work. He had to splice in GN/SP bottom rails to get the motor to fit. It was recently featured in VMX or classic dirt bike, I can't remember which. The DR lump is even taller, being wet sump.
 He raced it once at Farleigh, smashed up the Joel Robert signatured tank; and when he got home he found he'd bent both axles [Simons forks]. When I saw him the following year it was still in the shed. It went well though.
 I've got slightly later  '81+clampbolt forks on my DR, bigger front axle; and the swing arm pivot is bigger diameter than the XT. You could put an XT motor into a DR. The frame is a copy of the RM.
Back in 1980 Dirt Bike modded a DR. They put 38's, an ally swingarm, and a 420 kit in and went CCM bashing. They really rated it. Called it an excellent motorcycle. Head angle's a touch slack though.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 08:33:25 AM by cloggy »

TM BILL

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 10:01:38 AM »
A french acquaintance of mine shoved a DR400 motor into an RM frame. It was a lot of work. He had to splice in GN/SP bottom rails to get the motor to fit. It was recently featured in VMX or classic dirt bike, I can't remember which. The DR lump is even taller, being wet sump.
 He raced it once at Farleigh, smashed up the Joel Robert signatured tank; and when he got home he found he'd bent both axles [Simons forks]. When I saw him the following year it was still in the shed. It went well though.
 I've got slightly later  '81+clampbolt forks on my DR, bigger front axle; and the swing arm pivot is bigger diameter than the XT. You could put an XT motor into a DR. The frame is a copy of the RM.Back in 1980 Dirt Bike modded a DR. They put 38's, an ally swingarm, and a 420 kit in and went CCM bashing. They really rated it. Called it an excellent motorcycle. Head angle's a touch slack though.

??? ??? ???

Offline Tomkah

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 06:29:49 PM »
Hello,

I just did one "on the cheap". As most of you know we believe that when it comes to bikes, no expense should be spared...while the wives believe every expense should be spared. Therefore I chose an XT250 as the basis, converted it to twin shock, PE175 swingarm, IT490 front end, YZ490 rear wheel, XT250 tank etc etc. It's currently in paint. I used this picture as a guideline and am surprised how close it came:

I am hoping to register it, we'll see. Will try to add a mock up picture from a couple of weeks ago later.

Cheers,

T
Made in Germany

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 08:17:02 PM »
This is my Aberg Replica as it was in1981.

The basis of the build was my 1978 Husky 390AMX. I had one too many transmission failures so I fitted the engine from my 1978 SR500 into the frame and used to play swap the engine between the bike depending on wether I wanted to ride on the road or race MX (mug C grader)

The front end is from a Yamaha YZ465G. oil tank on the LH side was home made from 1mm steel sheet and the engine was fairly hot; 11:1 wiseco piston (still 500cc) Web 88A cam, flowed head, S&W springs, 38mm VM Mikuni or 38mm EI carbie, (depending on the day) and the obligatory LOUD open megaphone exhaust.

This is how it looked in 2000 when reassembled for CD2.

Bike doesn't realy exist anymore, as I rebuilt the bike back to its origins as a 390AMX in 2010. However I still have all the bits needed to re-re-rebuild it using a 1978 Husky CR390 that I bought a few years ago.  In fact I picked up another set of Fox Airshox from a mate yesterday. So all that I need to find now are a suitable rear swingarm, a seat, some time and a bit of spare cash.

CJ
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 08:20:49 PM by Colj500 »
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 09:01:28 PM »
Just to confuse the issue I'll point things in the other direction.

Use the standard frame and if you are keen you can easily take off a couple of kilos of brackets and bracing.
A Suzuki PE250/400 swingarm is an easy answer for the back end. I know of a couple of guys who are using the complete swingarm and wheel assembly as the sprockets line up pretty well. You need to make up a cable to run the rear brake as it's on the other side.

For forks, probably YZ/IT Yamaha and depending on what you want to do (classes for racing etc) the 43mm forks are a bit more rigid than the 38’s but both will work well.
Depending on what forks you use you may need to modify the steering stem. Most Yamaha ones are a bit short, I use Suzuki ones and re-machine them a bit shorter to suit.
Change the steering head bearings to tapered rollers.

IT/YZ/TT/XT wheels will all interchange but the XT wheels are the heaviest. There are differences in axle diameters on the rear wheels

I no longer believe in de-raking these things, they will turn corners very well if they are set up right.

I have a PE swingarm here, It has had a brake anchor welded on for a Yamaha brake. The axle has been machined to length and there are spacers to suit a YZ465/TT600 wheel with a 20mm axle. Included is a pair of stepped spacers to fit the PE swingarm bolt in the XT/TT frame. There are no swingarm bearings.
It’s for sale, PM me if you are interested

Before you try changing steering head angles get the suspension set up to work properly! I can not stress this enough
Just as important is using good tires.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 11:16:18 PM by brent j »
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 11:29:02 PM »
Use the standard frame and if you are keen you can easily take off a couple of kilos of brackets and bracing.
A Suzuki PE250/400 swingarm is an easy answer for the back end.

I think there is no comparison between the real deal and wedging a YZ125C tank onto a TT frame. You can see the overall bulk of the TT is far greater, and I am not convinced that the PE swingarm is a good solution.... the shocks are in the wrong position and it is the wrong width for a TT frame. Better to start with Husky frame and go to work.

formerly Marc.com

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 11:38:35 PM »
Better to start with Husky frame and go to work.
I couldn't agree more. A mate did the conversion using a '76 CR250 frame and it looked great. Sadly the bike was never finished because he bought an HL frame and started all over again. His son has recently made a start again on the Husky.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 11:48:25 PM »
Marc, I don't want to get into a pissing contest here but, the 80-81 PE swingarm is about 0.5-1mm wider than the XT/TT frame and the swingarms usually have a shim spacer under the end cap. The bolt is 1mm smaller dia so it fits pretty well with spacing washers.

I removed the extra bracing around the rear shock area and yes the frame is still heavier than an HL frame but overall the weight difference will only be few kilos given that all the other parts are much the same.

I'm not sure what you mean by the shocks not being in the right position. They are not is the same position as the HL but their shock position is not ideal anyway. There's still a lot of work in fitting a 500 motor into a Husky frame as you still need an oil tank.

It all comes down to what this owner wants to do.

The older I get, the faster I was